SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seven US Sailors are missing after a US Navy destroyer collided with a 21,000 ton cargo ship 56 miles off the coast of Japan.
Page 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 45
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seven US Sailors are missing after a US Navy destroyer collided with a 21,000 ton cargo ship 56 miles off the coast of Japan. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I don't see any conspiracy theories.
Who asked you?

You asked "Does this thread need to get locked?". In my opinion the thread is pretty civil and everyone is getting along and brainstorming ideas. There is a lull in information until more information is released so I guess everyone has gotten a little side tracked. But, I personally don't see a reason to lock it. However, my opinion means very little and carries very little weight.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Listen, it's apparent that you don't even know what I am referring to, so do both of us a favor and refrain from interfering when I'm moderating this forum.

Ever hear of a rhetorical question?

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Freighter Was On Autopilot When It Hit U.S. Destroyer
USS Fitzgerald did not detect container ship

BY: Bill Gertz
June 23, 2017 5:00 am

The deadly collision between a U.S. destroyer and a container ship June 17 took place while the freighter was on autopilot, according to Navy officials.

The Philippines-flagged cargo ship ACX Crystal was under control of a computerized navigation system that was steering and guiding the container vessel, according to officials familiar with preliminary results of an ongoing Navy investigation.

Investigators so far found no evidence the collision was deliberate.

Nevertheless, an accident during computerized navigation raises the possibility the container ship's computer system could have been hacked and the ship deliberately steered into the USS Fitzgerald, an Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer.

A more likely explanation is that collision was the result of an autopilot malfunction, or the autopilot's warning signals, used to notify the ship's operators, were missed.

The destroyer was severely damaged when the protruding undersea bow of the cargo ship struck Fitzgerald on the right side. Seven sailors died as a result and the captain and two others were injured. It was the Navy's worst accident at sea.

The two ships hit about 64 miles off the coast of Japan.

The collision occurred at around 1:30 a.m. local time but was not reported by the freighter's crew until around 2:25 a.m. Investigators believe the time lag was the result of the crew not realizing they had hit another ship.

Commercial ship autopilot systems normally require someone to input manually the course for the ship travel. The computer program then steers the ship by controlling the steering gear to turn the rudder.

The system also can be synchronized with an electronic chart system to allow the program to follow courses of a voyage plan.

Tracking data broadcast from the Crystal as part of the Automatic Identification System (AIS) shows the ship changed course by 90 degrees to the right and slightly reduced its speed between around 1:32 a.m. and 1:34 a.m. After that time, the data shows the ship turned to the left and resumed a northeastern coarse along its original track line.

Private naval analyst Steffan Watkins said the course data indicates the ship was running on autopilot. "The ACX Crystal powered out of the deviation it performed at 1:30, which was likely the impact with the USS Fitzgerald, pushing it off course while trying to free itself from being hung on the bow below the waterline," Watkins told the Free Beacon.

The ship then continued to sail on for another 15 minutes, increasing speed before eventually reducing speed and turning around. "This shows the autopilot was engaged because nobody would power out of an accident with another ship and keep sailing back on course. It’s unthinkable," he added.

Watkins said the fact that the merchant ship hit something and did not radio the coast guard for almost 30 minutes also indicates no one was on the bridge at the time of the collision.

By 2:00 a.m., the freighter had turned around and headed back to the earlier position, according to the tracking data.

The officials said the Crystal eventually came upon the stricken Fitzgerald.

The Fitzgerald's AIS data was not available so its track was not reported publicly.

Chief of Naval Operations Adm. John Richardson traveled to Japan to oversee the transfer of the fallen sailors.

"There are multiple U.S. and Japanese investigations underway to determine the facts of the collision," Richardson said in a statement. "Our goal is to learn all we can to prevent future accidents from occurring. This process will unfold as quickly as possible, but it's important to get this right."

According to the officials who spoke on condition of anonymity, initial reports on the incident indicate no crew member was manning the controls in the pilot house of the Crystal when it hit the Fitzgerald.

After impact, the freighter's was not immediately aware that it had collided with anything and continued sailing. The ship's crew then realized it had been in a collision and sailed back to try to determine what had happened.

Transport safety authorities and coast guard investigators in Japan on Thursday announced the data recorder from the Crystal had been secured, the Associated Press reported. The freighter is currently docked in the port of Yokohama, near Tokyo.

The Navy and Coast Guard are investigating the incident. The Fitzgerald is currently at its home port of Yokosuka naval base. The investigation is expected to be completed in several months.

For the Navy, investigators are trying to determine why the ship's radar and other sensors did not detect the Crystal in time to take steps to avoid the collision.

The Fitzgerald is equipped with the AN/SPS-64 advanced military navigation radar, and also uses a commercial radar system to enhance the shipping traffic picture of ships in its vicinity.

Navy ships operate radar systems to detect approaching ships or submarines. Lookouts posted on the bridge are responsible for detecting ships that pose a risk of collision.

Additionally, all commercial ships over 300 tons are required under international rules to operate AIS location data. AIS information from Crystal should have been monitored by sailors on the bridge of the Fitzgerald.

The sailors aboard the 505-foot-long Fitzgerald waged what officials said was a heroic battle about the ship to seal off flooding after the collision.

"We were struck by the stories of heroism and sacrifice—by both the sailors on board and their families back home—as they fought the damage to their ship and brought her back to Yokosuka," Richardson said.

The ship was not in danger of sinking but was listing to one side and was able to remain under its own power.

The bodies of the seven dead sailors were found in sealed off areas of the ship on Sunday after it reached port.

Vice Adm. Joseph Aucoin, commander of the U.S. 7th Fleet told reporters the Fitzgerald suffered extensive flooding and damage caused by a large puncture below the waterline on the starboard side underneath the pilot house.

The ship's commander, Cmdr. Bryce Benson was airlifted by Japanese coast guard helicopter. Two other injured sailors also were evacuated. All appear to have injuries that are not life threatening.

The officials said Benson was in his stateroom at the time of the collision.

The Fitzgerald was commissioned in 1995 and has a crew of some 300 crew members. It has a top speed of 30 knots and is armed with Tomahawk cruise missiles, SM-1 anti-ship and anti-submarine missiles, as well as machine guns and torpedoes.

The Crystal was built in South Korea, is 730 feet long and capable of carrying up to 2,858 shipping containers.

The Crystal is classified as a mid-size container ship part of the Asia Container Express or ACX, an Asian container shipping trade subsidiary of NYK Line, a global shipping division of Japan's Mitsubishi.
Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Oh for the love of...

Of course the ship was on autopilot. Jesus, Mary, and Joseph...who are these ignorant imbeciles writing these articles? As if a ship being on autopilot is some grand conspiracy or something. Ships in transit are nearly always in autopilot.

quote:

A more likely explanation is that collision was the result of an autopilot malfunction, or the autopilot's warning signals, used to notify the ship's operators, were missed.

Roll Eyes

Pure ignorance.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Oh for the love of...

Of course the ship was on autopilot. Jesus, Mary, and Joseph...who are these ignorant imbeciles writing these articles? As if a ship being on autopilot is some grand conspiracy or something. Ships in transit are nearly always in autopilot.

quote:

Roll Eyes

Pure ignorance.

I didn't read it that way. I thought it was a measured and thoughtful statement, and it seems like the same conclusion that some of here have reached, the author reached (i.e. human error). I think it could have been worded a lot worse. I don't see the implication that autopilot use was nefarious. Confused

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
All of these statements are somewhat speculative, reaching out for a scenario that fits what is known, the applicable rules, policies and practices of mariners and what is likely about human behavior in these situations. So far, there doesn't seem to be an explanation that fits well.

It is a mistake at this point to draw firm conclusions, and nearly irresistible to try.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
quote:
Oh for the love of...

quote:

Roll Eyes

Pure ignorance.

I didn't read it that way. I thought it was a measured and thoughtful statement, and it seems like the same conclusion that some of here have reached, the author reached (i.e. human error). I think it could have been worded a lot worse. I don't see the implication that autopilot use was nefarious. Confused

From the article:
quote:
Nevertheless, an accident during computerized navigation raises the possibility the container ship's computer system could have been hacked and the ship deliberately steered into the USS Fitzgerald, an Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer.

I have to disagree...it couldn't have been worded much worse. The author sounds like a moron interjecting his opinion. Just the facts. Ugh.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
quote:
Oh for the love of...

quote:

Roll Eyes

Pure ignorance.

From the article:
quote:

I have to disagree...it couldn't have been worded much worse. The author sounds like a moron interjecting his opinion. Just the facts. Ugh.

I wasn't referring to the bolded statement you added. I was referring to the text in red.

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I know nothing about the specifics, but Bill Gertz is usually a knowledgeable and reliable conservative defense analyst.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
judging by the pictures of the impact, the cargo ship was on the right- and the right of way, unless it is different internationally is:

The other vessel’s on the right: It’s the privileged or stand-on vessel and you must let it pass in front of you.

Autopilot is irrelevant in this case.

definitely not an expert in anything nautical

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DJ_Boston:
judging by the pictures of the impact, the cargo ship was on the right- and the right of way, unless it is different internationally is:

The other vessel’s on the right: It’s the privileged or stand-on vessel and you must let it pass in front of you.

This particular aspect has been beaten to DEATH on previous pages of this thread.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6214 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

We covered this quite a bit already throughout the thread. Without knowing the track of the Navy ship, we can't know what we have here. It could have been a crossing situation or an overtaking situation. Only the Navy knows right now.

And yes, the Autopilot is completely irrelevant.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://news.usni.org/2017/06/...lision-investigation

Rear Adm. Brian Fort, formerly the commander of USS Gonzalez (DDG-66) and Destroyer Squadron 26, will head up the Navy’s Manual of the Judge Advocate General (JAGMAN) into the circumstances of the June 17, 2017, collision between the guided-missile destroyer and the Philippine-flagged container ship ACX Crystal

His job will be to guide the investigators that are collecting data from the ship, interviewing the crew and evaluating countless other details, in an effort to create the Navy’s case to determine blame for the incident in which seven sailors were killed.

While there are several ongoing investigations by U.S. Navy, U.S. Coast Guard, Japanese authorities and insurance companies into the collision, the JAGMAN will be one of the few that will be available for public scrutiny. A parallel U.S. Navy safety investigation will likely not be released to the public.

“The purpose of a JAGMAN investigation is to discover facts pertaining to an occurrence, such as an aviation, ground or maritime mishap, in order to identify failures in doctrine, organization, training, materiel, leadership, [standard operating procedures], etc. and also to assist in affixing blame and accountability,”

“The findings of a JAGMAN can lead to disciplinary action against servicemembers and civilian employees or the termination of contracts. A safety investigation is categorically different: the purpose of the investigation is only to find out what went wrong and why.”

Fort, who was promoted to flag rank earlier this year, is currently serving as the commander of Navy Region Hawaii and Naval Surface Group Middle Atlantic

The Navy investigation will determine the culpability of the crew and the commander of the ship, Cmdr. Bryce Benson, and provide recommendations for corrective action and punishment, if required.

Posts: 19578 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Yup the next pain train is coming... JAGMAN time...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't believe that is accurate.

In an overtaking situation, the vessel overtaking must stay clear of the vessel being overtaken. There is a diagram a few pages back that illustrates how this applies.

The question now is whether it was an overtaking situation, or a crossing situation. Without knowing the track and possible maneuvers of the destroyer, that cannot be determined.

The use of autoplot is only relevant for whatever it might suggest about the level of attention from live crew members on the container ship. One report claimed investigators believe the bridge was unmanned before the collision.

Much of what is being discussed seems unbelievable, so for now, don't.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh for the love of...

Not this particular article but, there's a whole bunch of articles in a variety of papers, many of them abbreviated from their original source material, that give the impression that 'auto-pilot' on an ocean going ship is some insane, WTF! feature.
You talk to most people on the street and many think there's somebody at the helm, hands-on the wheel AT ALL TIMES, meanwhile Scotty is down in the engine room, with his ear on the engine ALL THE TIME and petty officer Holman is shoveling coal ALL THE TIME. While I don't expect most people to have an understanding of modern ships, it would be a great service to everyone if newspaper writers could at the very least, provide some perspective and if needed get qualified experts to speak about it. In this case, I don't want to hear from a retired admiral who's last command at sea was 30+ years ago, get that chief or, petty officer who worked on black gang or was in charge of a damage control section.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:

I don't believe that is accurate.

In an overtaking situation, the vessel overtaking must stay clear of the vessel being overtaken. There is a diagram a few pages back that illustrates how this applies.

The question now is whether it was an overtaking situation, or a crossing situation. Without knowing the track and possible maneuvers of the destroyer, that cannot be determined.

The use of autoplot is only relevant for whatever it might suggest about the level of attention from live crew members on the container ship. One report claimed investigators believe the bridge was unmanned before the collision.

Much of what is being discussed seems unbelievable, so for now, don't.

99.9% of the time a ship will be on autopilot in open ocean. It would be totally unusual for it to not be on autopilot during this time. It would be like saying someone must have been sleeping on their 10 hour car voyage on a lightly populated freeway because the car was on cruise control.

The autopilot did not malfunction as it brought the freighter right back to it's course after a major collision. 99.9% of the time if an Autopilot malfunctions it stops steering the vessel completely.

Virtually all commercial ships (small and large) are using ECDIS (Electronic Chart Display + Information System)to plot their entire voyages and this is what steers the ship once the Captain or first officer inspects and hits the OK button on the route. This is the standard on ships now and it does tell the autopilot to steer to follow the course. Again 99.9% of ships would have the autopilot following the ECDIS computer on this voyage. ECDIS is mandatory on this size freighter. It too would be mandatory for the destroyer (>3,000GT) if they were following IMO shipping standards.

The use of autopilot has ZERO bearing on whether or not the crew was awake. 99.9% of the time ships are on autopilot and following the ECDIS computers course in open ocean. I feel they were awake, but you never know.

After a collision, it would take every bit of 30 minutes to Muster the crew from sleep, get them to their muster stations, delegate people to go to the bow and inspect, determine the severity of the damage,wake the Captain, then send people through the ship to inspect the hull and bulbous bow, and decide to either turn around and assist, or head to the nearest port if you're in trouble of sinking yourself. I would be wary if it took less than 30 minutes, that would mean to me that they saw the collision coming and started reacting before they even collided. Heck it takes 10 minutes to walk from the bridge to the bow of this size freighter in broad daylight.

This article is written by someone who doesn't have a clue about freighters, destroyers, or navigation and full of fail.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Investigators obtain data recorder from container ship in Fitzgerald collision

Navy Times
TOKYO — Japanese authorities said Thursday they have obtained a data recording device from a container ship to help determine why it collided with a U.S. destroyer, killing seven American sailors.

Japanese transport safety officials said they obtained the voyage data recorder, similar to an airplane's "black box," from the Philippine-flagged ACX Crystal, which is currently docked in Yokohama near Tokyo.

Investigators are examining the ship's movements, including its location, direction, speed and other data to determine the cause of its collision with the USS Fitzgerald early Saturday off Izu Peninsula, west of Tokyo.

"By analyzing the data, we should be able to determine the circumstances of how it crashed," Transport Safety Board spokesman Katsunori Takahashi said.

The safety board is focusing on the cause of the collision and the lessons to be learned, while Japan's coast guard is investigating possible professional negligence in the accident.

U.S. Navy and Coast Guard officials are investigating the destroyer at its home port, Yokosuka naval base.

Japanese coast guard official Takeshi Aikawa said the first distress call came from the container ship at 2:25 a.m., and it identified the other party as "a U.S. warship." The coast guard immediately contacted the destroyer to ask about its damage.

"They requested our help in the rescue operations," he said. Within two hours, a Japanese coast guard patrol ship was at the scene.

Investigation into Fitzgerald collision begins

The Japanese coast guard has revised its estimate of the collision time from an initial 2:20 a.m. to 1:30 a.m. after interviewing the Crystal's crewmembers and examining the ship's location.

It is not known why the two vessels did not immediately contact the coast guard, Japanese officials say.

There is speculation that the Fitzgerald might have been temporarily unable to communicate because of damage from the collision, or because its crew was working frantically to keep the ship from sinking. Japanese officials say every ship is equipped with a backup communication system for emergencies.

The U.S. Navy still uses 2:20 a.m. as the time of the collision, but U.S. military officials say they have no intention to dispute the Japanese coast guard, and that the investigation will settle the issue.

The collision occurred in Japanese waters, but it is uncertain if Japanese authorities will have access to U.S. investigation results because the U.S. military has the primary right to investigate U.S. warships involved in accidents under a bilateral Status of Forces Agreement. Following a 2009 collision between a U.S. naval ship and a Japanese boat, Japanese authorities were not allowed access to the warship investigation, Japanese transport officials said.

Link

Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Interesting. There was no doubt in my mind that the Navy would be doing their own investigation but I always assumed they would share their data with the Japanese seeing as this all happened in their waters. I wonder if that is reciprocal?

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Oh for the love of...

Not this particular article but, there's a whole bunch of articles in a variety of papers, many of them abbreviated from their original source material, that give the impression that 'auto-pilot' on an ocean going ship is some insane, WTF! feature.

These same people fly on planes every day that have the AUTOPILOT coupled almost immediately after takeoff and only taken off very shortly before landing...

Oh, the HORROR!!!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

You know what? Military planes have the dreaded AUTO PILOT as well. And the pilots even have the gall to use said AUTO PILOT over bad guy country sometimes!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post