SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I also went to the ER recently and... (Bad News Bears pages 4, 37) (Bad Ass Family Photo page 49) (CT Scan Update page 59)
Page 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 161
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I also went to the ER recently and... (Bad News Bears pages 4, 37) (Bad Ass Family Photo page 49) (CT Scan Update page 59) Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Hi there lbj! Glad to see the posts from your sister and now from you.

From the description of the stuff they took out of you it sound like the Crush are no longer missing that football from inventory. Bet the equipment manager is glad to have it back.

My dad turned 88 this year and is now an 18 year survivor. Still plays golf and walks a mile a day. He felt like shit after his surgery and chemo. Never thought he would feel good again. You will come back from this. You will get your strength back, you will get your weight back, and you will get your energy back. It may suck at times, but live through it and work for a better tomorrow.

God bless, good healing and good luck!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12821 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
lbj you WILL be a survivor, look forward to the 5 year cancer free get together and to meet you face to face.
Para is right

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
My energy levels suck right now, and at 5ft11, I am weighing in at 159lbs.

I look like a cancer patient or something, I cannot imagine why.

It isn't the weight - it is the vitality behind it. I'd bet you could still put one of your football team down for the count with a pointed stare.

Rooting for you!!!!

Posts: 2779 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
T4N1M1? Grade?

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
When I see the oncologist, I will have more information.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31433 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thomjb:
lbj you WILL be a survivor, look forward to the 5 year cancer free get together and to meet you face to face.
Para is right

I will join that get together.
Going on 6 years Cancer free from Lung Cancer.
At 6'1" I went to 160lbs during treatment. Now I am at 230. Need to lose some weight.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you're making progress, lbj. Keep up the fight.

Posts: 3526 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:

My energy levels suck right now, and at 5ft11, I am weighing in at 159lbs.

I look like a cancer patient or something, I cannot imagine why.

Good think I wasn't drinking when I read this. Would have ruined my keyboard.

Glad to hear the good progress.

Hopefully soon you can go down to Senior Jalapoenos hand have one of their delicious breakfast burritos.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5771 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
You are a survivor man, a warrior. Keep fighting.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5923 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of doublecorona
posted Hide Post
Keep up the fight.

Deplorable NRA Life Member

Posts: 1057 | Location: Where my mind is not | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
LBJ you are always in my thoughts and prayers.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's a Dance
Picture of daoliver
posted Hide Post
Hoping for the best for you lbj. I didn't have cancer but when I was sick at your same height I got to 124. Wishing the best of luck to you and your family. If you need someone to talk to feel free to.

I’ll be your Huckleberry
SP2022, G27, 870P

Posts: 505 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Prayers and thoughts to all. And we are ready for those nurse stories.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1838 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
We saw the oncologist today.
The news is mostly the same.

Although the brain CT Scan was clear, and they see no abnormalities, they want and will do a brain MRI.

Then I go to Cancer Camp next week for an hour, then off to see a different oncologist, the top in the area.
She has been reviewing my case for the past week.

The treatments are all immuno therapy, and we will start with oral tablets in a 3 weeks with some sort of enzyme blocker essential for tumor growth. If that doesn't work we have 2 other immuno therapy tablet options.

It seems certain that the best we can do is perhaps shrink these masses a bit or hold them steady and at bay. Remission is not a viable option from any known treatments.

The concern now is one lung nodule, all others are specks, and the one lymph mass that is 2cm.
The other lymph masses are tiny as well like the lung nodules, with the exception of the one.

There were no surprises.

The oncologist thinks 3 to 5 years for my lifespan like the urologist said.

Treatment will begin in about three weeks.

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
You have our prayers, LBJ.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29788 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
lbj

Not cancer but me being here today and functioning normally (for a 69 year oldSmile) was the result of a higher power intervening.
Miracle plain and simple..

Since I read your first post I have been praying for you and your family and while others may have doubts,

I and my family don't.

Doctors only know so much, hang in there,

Beer is on me in TEN YEARs when we get together.

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the update, lbj. We will continue our prayers for you.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2551 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Don't "believe in" the quoted survival rates. In April I reach my seventh year since my original diagnosis. At this time I remain in remission, and this is after being declared in remission once before and then relapsing.

Stay positive and fight.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
The hospital stay and subsequent surgery last month was a horror story.

Originally, the kidney removal was supposed to be robotic and aside from a few holes for cameras and such, a 2 inch incision was to be made and the whole thing suck or vacuumed out.

Based on the size of the mass once they got in, a 9 inch incision was necessary and they had to reach in and remove it by hand. I was told later that when the mass was placed on a table, it expanded to the size of a football. It was 10cm in length, about 22.5 inches.

Next up was the hernia surgery which went normally. However, the incision for that was about 4 inches long, from the top of the left testicle upwards in the V of the crotch.
They used glue to hold everything together.

Prior to the surgery, I told the anesthesiologists that I have a history of waking up in the middle of procedures which is called anesthesia awareness.
In the recovery room, the assistant anesthesiologist told me that when I went under, the machine showed my brain activity actually increased under the drugs, so it has now been confirmed that I really do have anesthesia awareness.

The 9 inch incision sits about an inch below my navel and went to my left all the way to my side and somewhat around the curve of my left side. Talk about painful, man, it was bad.

I got to my room late afternoon and was well until about 1AM. That's when I had one of my patented asthma attacks. Me and anesthesia do not get along well.
The asthma attack resulted in coughing fits for me as I tried to clear my lungs.

The thing that bothered me was the lack of treatment for it for about 4 hours, and as I could talk, the nurses seemed to think I was OK.

I have had asthma since I can remember, and I will forever be the that 5 year old child who thinks he's dying waiting hours for pills to work on my asthma back in the early 1960s. I will never get over that.

My typical inhalers I carry were not allowed for me to have at the hospital, so I had no self remedies available to me, the hospital staff had absolute control of my breathing. For those with asthma, the absolute worst thing in our world is for someone else to have control over our breathing.

At one point my oxygen levels went as low as 70, not good.

Back in the 1980s, I was surveying an old golf course and a footbridge collapsed I was standing on and fell feet first 35 feet. That impact was pretty painful.
I swear though that with the 9 inch incision and that asthma attack at the hospital that first night there, I must have coughed a hundred times attempting to clear my lungs and each cough was more painful that the impact of the fall from the bridge. Imagine that pain repeated a hundred times. I was not a happy camper and got a bit verbally aggressive with the nursing staff regarding the delay of treating me properly.

Eventually, about 4AM that morning, a portable x-ray machine was brought in and almost immediately after it was read, a scurry of activity resulted in proper treatment to help me breathe. The x-ray showed what I had tried to tell them, that my lungs were full of fluid.

Geez, that time frame was such a horror story and one if not the worst night of my life.
For the next 3 days, the pain every time I moved or coughed was unbearable.

I was on fentanyl drip with a push button the first 2 days, and while I got me high, it did not do much for the pain. I was switched over to dilaudid drip which was somewhat better.

Those of you who have been hospitalized in the surgery unit know that you get almost no sleep while there because every 2 hours, someone is coming in to your room and doing something with you. While necessary, it still bites moose.

I conjure up images in my mind of Nurse Ratched every time I think about that 1st night when the nurses seemed to think I was OK during the asthma attacked when I knew I was in dire straights wracked with pain, unable to breathe and nothing was getting done until the x-ray 4 hours later.

About the only humorous story I have is the second day when 3 young female physical therapists came in, helped me up and I went for a walk in the hallway with the aid of a walker. All went well until we got back to the room.

At that point, the young girls had me still standing with my back to the edge of the bed. They asked me to sit down first so they could place me onto the bed. Then, something happened to me that in all my life had never happened to me before.

As I bent my knees and kind of fell backwards towards the bed, I literally ended up falling onto my butt on the bed and literally sat on balls with great force. If your are a male, you know how that feels.

There I was, in my hospital gown, sitting on my balls, in great pain, surrounded by 3 attractive young women therapists smiling and being cheery while I attempted to hide my rather pained facial expression with my balls feeling like they were exploding.

That was an experience I won't forget.
It's funny now, but at the time I was completed embarrassed. It's possible that in real time, they knew what had happened, and if true, that would be even more than embarrassing.

But even in retrospect, it really was funny and part of life's rich full pageant, fantasy completed I suppose. Big Grin

Amateur Astronomer
Picture of Test1968
posted Hide Post
LBJ,

Thanks for the update.

I can relate to your stories about the pain meds.
( I had oral pain meds, and they make me puke.) Not a good thing when you have broken vertebrae,and are flat on your back.

Alcohol
Tobacco
Firearms

Who brought the chips and dip?

Jim

Posts: 14023 | Location: limbo | Registered: August 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post