SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    From 2017- Virginia GOP baseball practice shooting: Multiple people shot
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

From 2017- Virginia GOP baseball practice shooting: Multiple people shot Login/Join 
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe that "Drop your weapon"is deeply ingrained in automatic police response.

Just like "quit resisting" as they fight with a suspect.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MagnumU:
First, thoughts and prayers for all those injured by the assailant. Second, no criticism of the officers involved. I have never been in that situation, and hope never to be.

My concern is with the reports of a "Drop your weapon" command when dealing with an active shooter. Is this part of Capitol Police training or general police training? It makes no sense to me when you have an active shooter. Seems like it poses unjustifiable risks to the officer and anyone in the field of fire.

I believe that can likely be chalked up to training scars. They probably regularly train by saying that phrase before opening fire. Under stress, most people revert back to training (as is proper). Not a big issue, in my mind. I suspect the time gap between "drop your weapon" and "BANG BANG BANG" was very minimal.

Posts: 6367 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of callibird
posted Hide Post
Soooo, from Illinois. 12 hour road trip.

But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Posts: 935 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: August 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's what I would hope as well, thumperfbc. If it is instead a step in the process of responding to an active shooter it could end up hurting the good guys.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
I believe that "Drop your weapon"is deeply ingrained in automatic police response.

Yep, this.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
quote:

Yep, this.

A man walking his dog at a park near the field told Fox News he heard police yelling at the gunman to put the gun down followed by someone in or around the dugout screaming back "Just shoot him."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017...ple-people-shot.html

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
bottom line, good guys (and gals) with guns stopped a bad guy with guns. This could have turned out very differently with no defense. Fish in a barrel... or dugout.
Instead of responding to the anti's pre programmed responses, it's us who shouldn't let this opportunity go to waste.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

What are you thinking?

Why are you posting something like this?

First, to criticize the shooters marksmanship, then to accuse a first responder of shooting themselves?

The hell is wrong with you? Please think before you post.

I agree the comment about the first responder was dumb.

Don't get your admonishment concerning my comment about an obviously unskilled shooter.

You'd prefer a trained marksman? Regardless of whether you understand, why do you think that comment is necessary?

The fact that there was a security detail is the primary reason things worked out the way they did. Shall we go through other scenarios where supposedly "inexperienced" shooters had minutes or more before there was armed response? There was significant loss of life in many of those cases.

Why we need to make crass comments in the immediate wake of an event like this, puzzles me.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Well kudos to the law enforcement that took the guy out, it's clear he had issues closed company, lost job, 66 years old, with his facebook open still are there no family members around asking FB to close it?

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yep, this.

A man walking his dog at a park near the field told Fox News he heard police yelling at the gunman to put the gun down followed by someone in or around the dugout screaming back "Just shoot him."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017...ple-people-shot.html

That doesn't mean that they had a shot. Article says that he was using the dugout as cover.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Jerry - very true. details come out without context, and the after-action report with who did what and when is a long ways out.

Honestly, I am amazed at the presence of mind to recognize, react and respond by law enforcement. I know they train - apparently the Capitol Police details train with the Secret Service, so are not just pulled out of the uniformed staff.

I understand reacting at the buzzer to put holes in paper. Not sure how training works to get one to react to scenario, draw and start firing at a live human. Probably easier when they are already shooting at other people, but there has to be a delay to process. And it must be really hard to do, when a live fire incident might not happen ever during your career.

Kudos to Officers Krystal Griner and David Bailey.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
As is always the case in incidents like this it is far too early to know anything about the tactics the officers used, whether commands were appropriate, whether officers made good use of cover, whether they should have approached a man with a rifle when they had only handguns, etc., etc., etc. What we do know is that LEOs tend to be very conservative about their use of deadly force. It’s also dam’ difficult to go from zero to 60 in a situation like this and do everything just as the Monday morning quarterbacks think they should have done while sitting on the other side of the computer keyboard.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Well that's, ummm, helpful. Frown

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6214 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
This could have turned out very differently with no defense. Fish in a barrel

Exactly. They were all lying as flat as could be, and one of the congressmen said that he was waiting for the shooter to walk up and shoot him point blank. Return fire changed the whole dynamic.

But apart from the specifics of this event, I have the feeling that things in America have changed for the much worse, and irretrievably. ("Captain Obvious," maybe.) No, not civil war, not only are we not slipping into civil war, but we are far from that. Right now. But this shooting of Republican congressmen, celebrated on social media, is a watershed.

I see how prescient Para was with his "cleaned my rifle" thread long ago.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Well, the only facist there is dead.

www.opspectraining.com

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:

A quote for the ages.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep. He was also in a Facebook group called "Terminate the Republican Party"
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1415090015389620/

Facebook finally deactivated his account.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Well, I'll be....I'm old enough and cynical enough to be shocked that CNN and Newsweek have immediately identified the shooter as a Bernie supporter who's publicly backed impeaching Trump. In the old days I would've expected them to waffle, speculate, try to blame it on conservative talk radio and then insist he's insane once his politics became clear.

cite at http://www.yahoo.com/news/jame...eball-163455210.html

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Facebook finally deactivated his account.

They didn't want the bad publicity.

So we just had a domestic terrorist attack and people are allowed to post things like the antifa group did? There is something wrong with that. This was a textbox terrorist attack/political assassination attempt.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post