SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dog food - it's hard to keep up
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dog food - it's hard to keep up Login/Join 
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:
...recently tried Chewy's American Journey which is a very good food for the price.
Jeff, what do you know about this Chewy house brand? I could not determine specifically who makes it for them (an issue for me), but they did confirm via a phone call to customer service that Diamond is not involved in it. The different formulations get lots of positive reviews on their site, and the price is very good, but I'm not willing to commit to it based on those two attributes alone.

I'm not familiar at all. Sorry about that. Did you check Dogfoodadvisor.com?

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/?s=+American+Journey

Can't beat a 5 star rating, looks good!

Posts: 12922 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
quote:
quote:
...recently tried Chewy's American Journey which is a very good food for the price.
Jeff, what do you know about this Chewy house brand? I could not determine specifically who makes it for them (an issue for me), but they did confirm via a phone call to customer service that Diamond is not involved in it. The different formulations get lots of positive reviews on their site, and the price is very good, but I'm not willing to commit to it based on those two attributes alone.

Just bothers me that I can't determine who makes the darn stuff for them. And Chewy's customer service is tight lipped about it when asked which I also don't get.

By the way, you didn't comment on the Wellness Simple food I'm feeding now. How do you think it rates?

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Acana/Orijen is what I’ve fed for years.

No recalls I ever remember.

Quality ingredients.

Good product.

0:01

Posts: 4213 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Just bothers me that I can't determine who makes the darn stuff for them. And Chewy's customer service is tight lipped about it when asked which I also don't get.

By the way, you didn't comment on the Wellness Simple food I'm feeding now. How do you think it rates?

It's a good food but we think it is a bit high priced for what it is. No worries feeding it though.

Edited to add: Like you, I'd insist on knowing who makes the food.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I'm still firmly in the Fromm camp. Good company, good product.

Not inexpensive, though.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We feed our mutts Taste of the Wild, the yellow bag (High prairie canine formula, Bison/Venison) and they do well on it. Our younger dog is an absolute beast of a dog, she's about 20lbs. bigger than any of her littermates, I'm told, and she's all lean muscle.

We have debated a switch to Costco or Amazon brand grain free, as they both rate well on Dog Food Advisor and they're $15-$20 cheaper per bag.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 814 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Revolution37:
We feed our mutts Taste of the Wild, the yellow bag (High prairie canine formula, Bison/Venison) and they do well on it. Our younger dog is an absolute beast of a dog, she's about 20lbs. bigger than any of her littermates, I'm told, and she's all lean muscle.

We have debated a switch to Costco or Amazon brand grain free, as they both rate well on Dog Food Advisor and they're $15-$20 cheaper per bag.

Check out TOW's Prey line. Price is similar but they offer a frequent buyer program with this line, buy 8 bags get one free, available through most sticks and bricks stores.

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vandrv:
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin

We deal with this all the time. Many of our customers are in this same spot. Check out Victor grain free formulas. It's not as easy to find as TOW but it an excellent food and is priced right. It sound like this would be an excellent option for you. Victor is a family owned company. They have been in business since 1950 and have never had a recall. We sell thousands of pounds of Victor every month.

It should be a bit lower than TOW but... it is much higher quality food. Smaller company, smaller batches, more care taken than a multi billion dollar food maker can give.

Honestly, if I had to pay retail for dog food I'd probably feed Victor.

https://victorpetfood.com

https://victorpetfood.com/stores

I work part time at a small feed store and we sell Victor, both the grain free and non grain free. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a great USA made dog food. It isn't cheap, but if if you feed the recommended amount, you will be feeding less than some of the cheaper brands, so on the whole it isn't that much more expensive. The only downside is that it isn't available everywhere. We get customers who travel quite a ways to buy it.

luckily, a store within 20 miles sells Victor, I just bought 2-50 lb bags of my usual dog food today..but best thing for me to do is buy one bag of Victor, and introduce my dogs gradually.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Great plan. When switching it's always good to do it slowly. It avoids digestion problems and loose stools if you do it gradually.

Every pup is different but we suggest 10 - 14 days if that is possible. Slowly increase new and decrease old over this period.

The exception would be Orijen, Acana and Fromm's Four Star. Those are formulated to switch without issue.

Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
Our vet recommended Avoderm ten years ago or so when our dog started displaying some allergic reactions, and it cleared up that issue...so we’ve stuck with it over the years. Now we get the Joint Health / Senior recipe to help her post-walk stiffness.

Hopefully it’s still a quality product...Jeff?

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post

Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
My golden retrievers get a blend of Acana's Appalachian Ranch and Wild Atlantic formulas - both rated 5 stars at Dog Food Advisor with an enthusiastic recommendation. The mix gives them a great blend of non-chicken proteins. They love it and do very well on it.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
Any one know what the actual definition of a by product is ? Or what is included in the AAFCO definition of say, “chicken”? Or that dog food advisor is run by a human dentist with no nutritional expertise and that site is commercially associated with Chewy ? Just “food” for thought

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another satisfied Fromm customer here. Our 2 yr. old active chocolate lab does well on it.

The kennel where we got her only uses Fromm for their puppies and bird dogs they train.

Posts: 1198 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgrdvm:
Any one know what the actual definition of a by product is ? Or what is included in the AAFCO definition of say, “chicken”? Or that dog food advisor is run by a human dentist with no nutritional expertise and that site is commercially associated with Chewy ? Just “food” for thought

Thanks for posting. The problem with a by-product is that by definition it could be anything. It could be good or it could be sweepings from the slaughter house floor. "Meat by-products' could be roadkill.

Regarding Dogfoodadvisor.com, it's currently the best available resource that a dog owner has to research food. If you can recommend a better venue that would be awesome.

Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^ Not familiar with that brand.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com...atural-dog-food-dry/

Appreciate the link. It looks like AvoDerm @ 4 stars is considered “above average” and “highly recommended” at that site, so that gives me some comfort that AvoDerm is considered to still be a quality dog food.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
What do you think about Wellness brand for small breeds?

I've been feeding it to my Pug for years.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3487 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Revolution37:

Check out TOW's Prey line. Price is similar but they offer a frequent buyer program with this line, buy 8 bags get one free, available through most sticks and bricks stores.

Thanks Jeff, I'll look into that. We've been feeding our lab TOTW Pacific Stream (salmon) for years since he's allergic to chicken. We just feed that to our Catahoula as well to keep it simple. We had to search a bit to find a food that didn't have chicken meal, poultry fat, or egg in it. It looks like the Prey beef or trout could work. What's the difference between the original line and this new Prey line?

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It's a good food but we think it is a bit high priced for what it is. No worries feeding it though.

Edited to add: Like you, I'd insist on knowing who makes the food.

Jeff,

Are you talking about the same thing? American Journey is $1.66/pound and can be had cheaper than that if you use autoship.

In comparison Fromm Four Star Grain Free is $3.02/pound.

American Journey is a super premium grain free food at an outstanding price. Why do you feel it is high priced for what it is?

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Posts: 4987 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Tagged.

Posts: 2877 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post