SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SIG SAUER MPX (Update: Exclusive Non-NFA version P7)
Page 1 ... 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 ... 137
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG SAUER MPX (Update: Exclusive Non-NFA version P7) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
New KES aftermarket stock for MPX (not sure if this has been posted previously) from SHOTSHOW 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHasb31d2X8

Posts: 97 | Registered: November 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmoon1:
New KES aftermarket stock for MPX (not sure if this has been posted previously) from SHOTSHOW 2016.

I think that kinda sucks. It uses a more invasive installation method. And it plain just looks horrible. Just my .02

Posts: 57 | Registered: June 08, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Faust245:
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmoon1:

I think that kinda sucks. It uses a more invasive installation method. And it plain just looks horrible. Just my .02

I'm okay with the installation method but imo it certainly doesn't look as good as any of the 4 SIG versions (KM, Folding/telescoping, telescoping full fill, telescoping partial fill).

Posts: 97 | Registered: November 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, been a while since I've been on here.

First i called Sig and go the same response about the 4.5" barrel, that it would be available around March-April for about $327. I decided that was too much so i gave it to my gunsmith to chop it down to 5" for $75. I was using a TrosUSA 3 lug adapter, had it threaded in 1/2x28" and again added a 3 lug. By using this thread i saved another 0.5" from the adapter for a total saving of 3.5".

Here it is with my Griffin Revolution 9 in K form with integral 3 lug mount.

The same day i got that back, I finally got the stamp for my TM SG-2! Yay!! I know everyone was curious if that monster can would fit under the handgaurd, answer is yes! barely... I had to remove the hand stop as the screw protrudes into the handgaurd and scratched the silencer. The regular add a rail sections are fine though because of the short screws.

Here it is with the SG-2 next to a 16" barrel JRC 9mm carbine.

Of course i had to take it to the range right away to test it! Anyone remember earlier i was saying the Geissele SD-3G was working fine? not anymore... Even with the added back pressure of the silencers it was failing to reset about 1 out of 10 rounds with Lawman 147gr ammo. I switched to Fiocchi 158gr and it was about one every other magazine using my Revolution and Octane 9. I switched to the SG-2 and it seemed to be running find for another couple of mags (maybe i just got lucky? Maybe it's not silencer dependent?) and then it ran flawless for about 20 rds of low powered Emcon suppressor ammo (which is very quiet!). I was really surprised it was working with those loads and not the lawman as it's it's the hottest load of the bunch. That stuff is loud suppressed and sometimes goes super out of my 16" where none of the other 147gr i shoot will.

Before it was cut, it was VERY dirty and the action was sluggish but yet worked flawlessly with the SD-3G! After getting it back i cleaned and oiled it, and then i started having problems.

maybe due to having less back pressure with the shorter barrel i just hit that threshold of where the Geissele doesn't reset reliably anymore? I may try using a more slick oil and testing some more, but kind of sucks it's now become finicky. Might need to invest in a different trigger...

Posts: 63 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: June 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Inquiring minds want to know...how's that SG2? Mines in jail right now...

Posts: 21 | Registered: June 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CRASH_PRO:
OK, been a while since I've been on here.

First i called Sig and go the same response about the 4.5" barrel, that it would be available around March-April for about $327. I decided that was too much so i gave it to my gunsmith to chop it down to 5" for $75. I was using a TrosUSA 3 lug adapter, had it threaded in 1/2x28" and again added a 3 lug. By using this thread i saved another 0.5" from the adapter for a total saving of 3.5".

Here it is with my Griffin Revolution 9 in K form with integral 3 lug mount.

The same day i got that back, I finally got the stamp for my TM SG-2! Yay!! I know everyone was curious if that monster can would fit under the handgaurd, answer is yes! barely... I had to remove the hand stop as the screw protrudes into the handgaurd and scratched the silencer. The regular add a rail sections are fine though because of the short screws.

Here it is with the SG-2 next to a 16" barrel JRC 9mm carbine.

Of course i had to take it to the range right away to test it! Anyone remember earlier i was saying the Geissele SD-3G was working fine? not anymore... Even with the added back pressure of the silencers it was failing to reset about 1 out of 10 rounds with Lawman 147gr ammo. I switched to Fiocchi 158gr and it was about one every other magazine using my Revolution and Octane 9. I switched to the SG-2 and it seemed to be running find for another couple of mags (maybe i just got lucky? Maybe it's not silencer dependent?) and then it ran flawless for about 20 rds of low powered Emcon suppressor ammo (which is very quiet!). I was really surprised it was working with those loads and not the lawman as it's it's the hottest load of the bunch. That stuff is loud suppressed and sometimes goes super out of my 16" where none of the other 147gr i shoot will.

Before it was cut, it was VERY dirty and the action was sluggish but yet worked flawlessly with the SD-3G! After getting it back i cleaned and oiled it, and then i started having problems.

maybe due to having less back pressure with the shorter barrel i just hit that threshold of where the Geissele doesn't reset reliably anymore? I may try using a more slick oil and testing some more, but kind of sucks it's now become finicky. Might need to invest in a different trigger...

Looks Nice! I have a question about overall length after you form 1 a gun: I was under the impression that whatever length you put on the Form 1 has to remain an option for the gun; in another words, if I put 28" on my Form 1, I can buy a 4.5" barrel but I must maintain the 8" one or the ability to make it back into the 28". Can anyone confirm this please?
I am debating on either chopping mine down for a suppressor or just buying a 4.5" and keeping my 8". Thanks!

Posts: 15 | Registered: December 22, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not sure I follow. If the bolt fully cycles and picks up the next round, the hammer has to be cocked. If you are holding back on the trigger, and then let off, you should hear the click of the disconnector release the hammer to the sear, and then you should be ready to shoot. Where in this cycle are things going awry?

Reset is *you* letting off of the trigger so the disconnecter lets go of the hammer. So "failing to reset" is confusing. Saying a trigger is short reset, means you only let off a little for it to work.

Will it consistently lock the bolt open on an empty mag? This is the basic test related to gas port size and dwell time and such.

Posts: 20 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: January 23, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mpxgeek:
I was under the impression that whatever length you put on the Form 1 has to remain an option for the gun; in another words, if I put 28" on my Form 1, I can buy a 4.5" barrel but I must maintain the 8" one or the ability to make it back into the 28". Can anyone confirm this please?

Not true. The Form 1 just needs to state the primary intended barrel/overall lengths but you are absolutely free to change the gun up as you see fit. Lots of times people will put the shortest they expect the gun to be but it really doesn't matter. I have several SBR lowers and swap around uppers of different lengths all the time. Hope that helps.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AggiePhil,

Posts: 56 | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cavscouttj:
quote:

Not sure I follow. If the bolt fully cycles and picks up the next round, the hammer has to be cocked. If you are holding back on the trigger, and then let off, you should hear the click of the disconnector release the hammer to the sear, and then you should be ready to shoot. Where in this cycle are things going awry?

Reset is *you* letting off of the trigger so the disconnecter lets go of the hammer. So "failing to reset" is confusing. Saying a trigger is short reset, means you only let off a little for it to work.

Will it consistently lock the bolt open on an empty mag? This is the basic test related to gas port size and dwell time and such.

The issue mine is having with the s3g is the hammer is following the bolt back so the hammer is not reset. It loads the next round but the hammer is in the fired "not reset" position.

Posts: 36 | Registered: May 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AggiePhil:
quote:
I was under the impression that whatever length you put on the Form 1 has to remain an option for the gun; in another words, if I put 28" on my Form 1, I can buy a 4.5" barrel but I must maintain the 8" one or the ability to make it back into the 28". Can anyone confirm this please?

Not true. The Form 1 just needs to state the primary intended barrel/overall lengths but you are absolutely free to change the gun up as you see fit. Lots of times people will but the shortest they expect the gun to be but it really doesn't matter. I have several SBR lowers and swap around uppers of different lengths all the time. Hope that helps.

Thank you for clarifying. I am new to the whole stamp process. I submitted my first one on Dec. 23rd for the mpx and now just waiting (im)patiently.

Posts: 15 | Registered: December 22, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by johntsi:
quote:
quote:

The issue mine is having with the s3g is the hammer is following the bolt back so the hammer is not reset. It loads the next round but the hammer is in the fired "not reset" position.

My S3G came with two trigger springs. You might try the other one. Other than that, call Geissele. They will take care of you.

Posts: 20 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: January 23, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought a SCo Omega 9K for use on the MPX. It's only 4.7" length x 1.475" diameter, so it will fit inside the handguard. I'll either replace the 8" barrel with the 4.52" factory one, or have it cut down to 5" and threaded. Either way it should make a nice compact package with the can only protruding about 2" from the guard.

Posts: 6 | Registered: February 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

My S3G came with two trigger springs. You might try the other one. Other than that, call Geissele. They will take care of you.

He summed it up nicely. If you play with your mpx, the bolt has to go back really far too get the hammer to catch the disconnecter. It can eject and pick up a new round without "resetting".

Mine also came with 2 springs although i already have the lighter one installed. I don't see how a heavier one would help. Also per a post few pages back, Geissele doesn't recommend the 3 gun trigger for this very reason. I don't see how they could help unless they switch me trigger packs to the SSA-E.

Posts: 63 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: June 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not true. The Form 1 just needs to state the primary intended barrel/overall lengths but you are absolutely free to change the gun up as you see fit. Lots of times people will but the shortest they expect the gun to be but it really doesn't matter. I have several SBR lowers and swap around uppers of different lengths all the time. Hope that helps.

Thank you for clarifying. I am new to the whole stamp process. I submitted my first one on Dec. 23rd for the mpx and now just waiting (im)patiently.

You're correct mpxgeek. The issue here is that once registered with an 8" barrel you're free to then put shorter or longer barrels on it, but you must maintain the ability to revert it to its registered configuration. By chopping the barrel suddenly its not able to be placed back into that configuration (short of buying another 8" barrel).

AggiePhil is correct in that you're free to have alternate length barrels (or uppers as is usually the case for an AR or similar platform) after you have the stamp in hand, but that does not dissolve you of the obligation to keep the ability to revert to the registered configuration. I'm just going off memory here, but the ATF assumes the registered configuration is what the gun will spend most of its life as, regardless if you swap out uppers for something longer/shorter. Now, how they'd know that it sits in your safe 80% of the time with a 4.5" barrel vs. 8" is another issue altogether.

So in reality these are two separate issues. All that said though this is all discuss as to the letter of the law, not the practice. In practice I haven't seen or heard of any situations where someone has been prosecuted for violating this as a stand alone event, but rather it may be one that would be tacked on to other more serious charges.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a non-issue.

Posts: 56 | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has anyone with an MPX-C used one of those buffer tube adapters, and set up the rifle similar to an AR? Seems like a solid sturdy way of doing it, and possibly cheaper than the costs for Kate or telefolder. Of course you lose the folding option, but that doesn't seem as necessary on a carbine as on an SBR

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You're correct mpxgeek. The issue here is that once registered with an 8" barrel you're free to then put shorter or longer barrels on it, but you must maintain the ability to revert it to its registered configuration. By chopping the barrel suddenly its not able to be placed back into that configuration (short of buying another 8" barrel).

AggiePhil is correct in that you're free to have alternate length barrels (or uppers as is usually the case for an AR or similar platform) after you have the stamp in hand, but that does not dissolve you of the obligation to keep the ability to revert to the registered configuration. I'm just going off memory here, but the ATF assumes the registered configuration is what the gun will spend most of its life as, regardless if you swap out uppers for something longer/shorter. Now, how they'd know that it sits in your safe 80% of the time with a 4.5" barrel vs. 8" is another issue altogether.

So in reality these are two separate issues. All that said though this is all discuss as to the letter of the law, not the practice. In practice I haven't seen or heard of any situations where someone has been prosecuted for violating this as a stand alone event, but rather it may be one that would be tacked on to other more serious charges.

Need clarification on Form 1 on MPX barrel length? MPX lists 8" barrel, but there are SIG folks saying it is actually 8.5"? So, which length do you put on a Form 1 for SBR? TIA.

Posts: 39 | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by d2randall:
Need clarification on Form 1 on MPX barrel length? MPX lists 8" barrel, but there are SIG folks saying it is actually 8.5"? So, which length do you put on a Form 1 for SBR? TIA.

Its an interchangeable barrel. ATF don't care. 8" is fine for the Form1, and if you swap to 4.5" its still an SBR, and they still don't care.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by d2randall:

Its an interchangeable barrel. ATF don't care. 8" is fine for the Form1, and if you swap to 4.5" its still an SBR, and they still don't care.

When I submitted my form 1 for the MPX back in May, I attached a letter listing the other configurations the SBR would have in case I changed the barrel length and pretty much covered any possible configuration I thought I might have. The MPX was my first foray into NFA and you could say I was awed by all the potential possibilities (generation issue not withstanding at the time)with the different calibers and barrel lengths as advertised by Sig so I basically listed all the possible combinations.

I completed my first form 1 based on info I found here:

https://www.guntrustlawyer.com/form1

The template I used can be found here:

https://www.guntrustlawyer.com...l-Configurations.pdf

Posts: 9 | Registered: May 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

He summed it up nicely. If you play with your mpx, the bolt has to go back really far too get the hammer to catch the disconnecter. It can eject and pick up a new round without "resetting".

Mine also came with 2 springs although i already have the lighter one installed. I don't see how a heavier one would help. Also per a post few pages back, Geissele doesn't recommend the 3 gun trigger for this very reason. I don't see how they could help unless they switch me trigger packs to the SSA-E.

I just tried with some dummy rounds to rack the bolt enough to eject and no more. Every time it cocked the hammer. I ask my original question again:

Will it consistently lock the bolt open on an empty mag? [This is the basic test related to gas port size and dwell time and such] 

If it has enough rearward movement to lock the bolt to the rear, I do not think its possible to NOT cock the hammer-- absent a disconnector issue. In any case I see no reason not to get the opinion of the manufacturer.