SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    TCM fans, Robert Osbourne has passed away
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TCM fans, Robert Osbourne has passed away Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted

Posts: 107234 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed both his commentary & insight. Godspeed Mr. Osbourne

Posts: 13790 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I'm sad to hear of this...RIP in Mr. Osbourne Frown

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10579 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I always enjoyed his commentary on TCM. Watched it a lot more in the past, than I have recently. Robert always had a great calm delivery, and he knew so much. I love old movies from the 30s-70s, and he knew so much about them and also about the actors and their personal lives. What an encyclopedia he was. Part of the hangover cure 20 years ago, was watching TCM all day with no commercials. Smile

I rarely go to modern films in the theater. Most of them are full of special effects and fast-editing. The old movie directors really knew how to manage dialogue, and also silence, when appropriate. They knew how to build suspense, and how to let the viewers become involved!

Sorry for the tangent/rant.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Sad. Frown

I very much preferred Osborne to Mankiewicz.

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I very much preferred Osbourne to Mankiewicz.
Don't get me started. Between that leftist puke and Chiquita Ramirez or whatever in the Hell her name is, I feel lost now on my favorite channel.

We've turned a corner at TCM, and it's not good.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/6550058714/p/1

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
^^^TCM was about the only thing on television worth watching. I hate what it has become.

Posts: 26847 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
I'm sad to hear this. I really enjoyed him on TCM.

He had a way of making even a stinker of a movie sound like something I should watch.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Warm, accessible, knowledgeable, down-to-earth. I've missed him the last few months and feared this was coming.

Posts: 13157 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'm remembering when he had Bill Paxton on as a guest programmer. Damn. Ol' Bob had to put the brakes on Bill as he was about to give away the film. Just from that exchange alone, you could see what a really likeable guy Paxton was, and how very polite and cordial was Osbourne.

I still have recordings on my DVR from 2014 with Robert Osbourne.

I figured this was coming and Osbourne hasn't been around for about 18 months, but damn, I'm going to miss him. I had hoped he could at least come back for a farewell. 'tis not to be, though

It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I remember that! Agree 100%

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Sad day. That channel hasn't been the same since he left.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
This is sad news. Of course, I noticed his absence. I hadn't heard of a formal retirement so I figured he was dealing with health issues.

RIP

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Although it became apparent more than a year ago that osbourne was not going to b returning to his normal hosting duties, TCM has left his name up on the marquee for films in the evening. They'll have to take it down now.

If TCM loved Robert Osbourne so dearly, I wonder why they're now trying to change TCM to be some kind of "progressive" crap.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Sad indeed. I always liked him. He seemed genuine, & obviously very knowledgable in his field.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
Sad day. That channel hasn't been the same since he left.

Agree!

Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
Robert Osbourne was special and in my opinion, irreplaceable. I've probably watched a lot more movies on TCM than most 40 year old guys. That is largely due to the fact that my grandfather was wheelchair bound and a good portion of our quality time revolved around watching old movies together. I cherish those memories. I can hear Robert Osbourne's voice in my head right now and it takes me back to those enjoyable evenings sitting next my grandfather.....definitely sad news

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 883 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bobbin' and weavin
posted Hide Post
Rest in peace, Sir. I will miss him and the occasional studio guests he had. It was enjoyable to watch someone who really enjoyed what he was doing. I believe he did.

Posts: 934 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Frown

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post