SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    TCM fans, Robert Osbourne has passed away
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TCM fans, Robert Osbourne has passed away Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Although it became apparent more than a year ago that osbourne was not going to b returning to his normal hosting duties, TCM has left his name up on the marquee for films in the evening. They'll have to take it down now.

If TCM loved Robert Osbourne so dearly, I wonder why they're now trying to change TCM to be some kind of "progressive" crap.

TCM stands for (Turner)Classic Movies, that should tell you something.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No, Robert Osbourne's politics never intruded into his comments on TCM. I couldn't tell you his political leanings because he kept them to himself when he was doing his job. It's not like that now.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
.... always came away learning something or other from his monologues; film, characters, stories, plots, bylines ...

I don't know how he did it all.

vale.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its really easy to spot someone who is passionate and professional about his work. That was Osbourne.
A dark day for TCM.
RIP.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
I always enjoyed his commentary, he will be missed but I don't remember him from or on The Beverly Hillbillies.

Posts: 1954 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
He will be missed, I enjoyed his commentary and expertise regarding films.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4358 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSgt USMC/Vet:
I always enjoyed his commentary, he will be missed but I don't remember him from or on The Beverly Hillbillies.
A very small part.

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
http://www.tcm.com/robert/

The picture with Tippi Hedren and Eva Marie Saint is my favorite

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SSgt USMC/Vet:
A very small part.

According to Wikipedia, he appeared only in the pilot episode, declining to sign up for the series which he didn't think would succeed. I guess his good taste got in the way of making a profit, and I admire his decision.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9156 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
R.I.P. sir, you will be missed.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:
.... always came away learning something or other from his monologues; film, characters, stories, plots, bylines ...

I don't know how he did it all.

vale.

^^^THIS^^^

Sadly, it is the ending of another era.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Mr. Osbourne was a great host for TCM.

He'll be hard to replace.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Irreplaceable. Mr. Osbourne was TCM. I'm lucky enough to have beau coup of him introing Film Noir movies, I'll never delete them, he'll live forever.

Now, my prayers for you & your fan family, Mr Osbourne. God rest & thank you for being who you were, simply the best film historian & MC in my lifetime.

See you in your library setting, Bob!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
Very sad to hear of his passing. I cut the cord a year ago, but TCM was the one and only channel I missed due to Mr. Osbourne and his great knowledge of classic films.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 1017 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He had class. He was always a class act. Class. Something that is lost on many in the entertainment industry today. TCM has always been my favorite cable channel. I always enjoyed his commentary.

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2339 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
Irreplaceable. Mr. Osbourne was TCM. I'm lucky enough to have beau coup of him introing Film Noir movies, I'll never delete them, he'll live forever.

Now, my prayers for you & your fan family, Mr Osbourne. God rest & thank you for being who you were, simply the best film historian & MC in my lifetime.

See you in your library setting, Bob!

Thats how I best remember him as well. I did not even know what Film Noir was at the time, but I really enjoyed his introductions.

We need a Film Noir thread with best recs. Para can judge....

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
That's too bad, he was great at what he did. I do miss his commentary. RIP

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I've got at least three recordings with him in them. The oldest is from December, 2014- a sit down with actor/director Jason Lee, talking about Lee's pick of the film Paris, Texas

I also have two recordings from March, 2015. The first is Bob intro'ing The Artist, and the last one I found was the best- a straight introduction of Carol Reed's Odd Man Out, and just as always, Bob shared some information about the making of the film that is not readily available on the internet.
Contrast that with Mankiewicz and Chiquita Ramirez, who get their facts straight off of IMDB. I have no doubt of this. Some of the "facts" they've shared come almost verbatim from IMDB. Shit, man, I can look stuff up. I can use a search engine. Tell me something I dont know and can't find myself in a 60 second web search.

That's much of what we lost permanently yesterday. Bob was the real deal.

186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
This is what we heard every day when Robert profiled an actor, or a director. I always learned something. Here is a classic example of his intro on Sophia Loren:

"Our Star of the Month for June, the magnificent Sophia Loren, once said, "Everything I am I owe to spaghetti." Hmmm. If that's true, then we all owe a great deal of gratitude to pasta because there are few things (with or without marinara sauce) which have been quite as tasty to six decades of moviegoers than the Italian dish who was born Sofia Villani Sciolone in 1934. Therefore we definitely encourage you to check out the positives of pasta throughout the month as we bring you 23 of Sophia's memorable movies."

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/...on-Sophia-Loren.html

RO had class and manners, and he kept politics out of the script. I'll miss him.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FishOn,

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
please forgive me if I mispeak, but if I remember correctly did TCM do a special sit down with RO and told his story? I remember being fascinated by how he just loved the industry and the people, and while he had acted some he made his true contribution in telling it's stories.

He always made me see the picture fresh and new. I remember him introducing so many movies that I only watched because he said too. He will be missed.

The new crew is just googling stuff while they are getting their makeup done in the dressing room.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3590 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post