SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Turner Classic Movies and the encroachment of leftist politics.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turner Classic Movies and the encroachment of leftist politics. Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
What's playing on TCM as the new President is sworn in?

The King and the Chorus Girl

Ben Mankiewicz is part of "The Young Turks", and I can guarantee you that for TCM to be playing that film right now, is a swipe at our new President.

Next up this afternoon, Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead. Needs no explanation in the context of today's events.

After that, Breakfast at Tiffany's, which is about a humble girl pretending to be something else in NYC. Come on. Really? How stupid do you think are your viewers?

The kicker, though, is at 5 pm today, it's A Face in the Crowd, which is about a crass, cold-hearted, ruthless con man making his way to the top on American television.

This is nothing new. This film is a favorite of ol' Ben's, when he wants to take a cheap shot:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-h...age-beloved-network/

The night before the Republican National Convention last summer, TCM played Haskell Wexler's Medium Cool, which shows documentary footage of the police busting heads at the (ahem) Democratic National Convention in 1968. Is it lost on the leftists now apparently in control at TCM that the police were acting at the behest of one of the biggest Democratic political machines Chicago has ever seen?

Can you imagine Robert Osbourne doing something like this?

Very, very disappointing. I just want these assholes to know that some of us have their number.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107578 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Unrelated except as revealing of warped priorities, but I've never been able to see Ben without thinking of this --

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
What, no Manchurian Candidate?

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Ought to be showing "Network". I'm mad as hell...

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was flipping channels and saw the TV line up for TCM and didn't think anything about it.

Well, I thought they all sucked but I never considered a subversive plot or the political slant.

It's a shame what society has delved, followed and/or descended too. Typical leftist hypocritical scum.

What would they have shown if that other party would have won.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The night after the last Presidential debate, TCM broadcast The Great White Hope in a primetime slot. Draw your own conclusions.

Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I was thinking today about Hollywood and movies. At some point it occurred to me that they have forgotten their own history of their recent past. I don't know the ratio of libs to Republicans but the latter seems to be blacklisted.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3865 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This morning, we have A Tale of Two Cities. The French Revolution.

At noon, hey, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World because you white nationalist yokels have put a maniac in the White House.

I'm certain all this is coincidental.

Tomorrow morning, TCM will broadcast Kisses for My President, which is a film about the first female POTUS.

Immediately afterwards comes The Great McGinty, which shares the theme of A Face in the Crowd, of a drifter attaining (and then losing) great influence and political power.

All of this is mere coincidence, I'm sure.

Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
We all know they should show Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. But who wants ethics in politics?

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3865 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I'm watching A Shot in the Dark and trying to figure out how it relates to your--very real--concerns.

Posts: 18066 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tcm i hoped would have been better. Yet holly wood started madame secretary as a tv show to get hildabot elected.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I'm watching A Shot in the Dark and trying to figure out how it relates to your--very real--concerns.
It doesn't have anything to do with it. TCM plays movies 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Do you think for even one second that their entire programming is devoted to thumbing their nose at conservatives?

You have the link from Breitbart in 2010 and you saw that TCM again played A Face in the Crowd on Inauguration Day. It's not hard to figure, but let's be serious here; there's no way that every single movie they play is for political purposes.

The night before conventions, the night after debates, Inauguration Day, Inauguration weekend- there has to be something going on in order for the smarmy leftists to try to be clever..

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
It sure does look like a TCM circle jerk lately. That said, the pool of movies to draw from has been filled with leftism for a very long time. That is the Hollywood bubble.

Over the years, how many takes on the Blacklist Era? Institutionalized butthurt. Now they're proud of their subversive manipulations. "Trumbo" with Bryan Cranston was up for Oscars. I can still see the hate-filled crowd years back when Elia Kazan received a lifetime achievement Oscar. He named names. Eek

It turns out during the '30's, blacklisters were filling American heads with leftism. Dig around the archives at frontpagemag.com and find a lot of documentation of that. If fact, the commies' only value for America was those few years after Hitler betrayed his pact with Stalin and headed east.

All that said, TCM is a valuable asset...despite itself. There's too much good for them to soil it all.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I've taken a break from TCM, mostly. I have a large stash of previous recordings staged on the DVR for my pleasure. Yes, their bend is quite transparent right now. Poor substitutes for the ailing Mr. Osborne is sad too.

I'll add a non-sequitur as well ... Hollywood can't make an original movie to save their lives. Over the holidays, I watched Sully, Deep Water Horizon and the Magnificent 7 remake - all were poorly done, pathetic story lines (and such great nonfiction material to start with re: Sully and DWH). No character development, no wit, nada ... just all special effects, explosions and no substance; pathetic.

Frown

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think they have been doing this for a long time.
I really like a lot of the older movies, but so much of that leftist political crap in on TCM that I have to revert encore Western or one of the hunting/shooting channels or Fox business or Fox news.
Most of their guest hosts are liberals or uber liberals. We all knew how liberal Ted Turner was.
So, this is really no surprise to me, but I am glad you pointed it out to the unsuspecting. I now just turn the channel. I never ever liked Face In The Crowd, but I think it might be closer to revealing the true personality of Andy Griffith than that Andy Griffith show did.
A true liberal, defending obamaidontcare to the bitter end.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
A Face in the Crowd was a shot at- among others- Arthur Godfrey, who was apparently a real son of a bitch (IIRC, Danny Kaye is also mentioned in passing in the film- another closet tyrant, or so the story goes.)
TCM also played within the past week or so, Alexander Mackendrick's Sweet Smell of Success, which is a scathing indictment of columnist Walter Winchell. It seems to me that this film, too, was being used by TCM in the manner I've described. It also happens to have some of the richest dialogue and quotable lines, courtesy of Ernest Lehman and my man Clifford Odets. Also, it's got a powerful jazz score by Elmer Bernstein.

TCM is in no danger of losing my viewership. With rare exception, no feature film offered currently by Hollywood interests me (the one and only exception at present- I may go see Scorsese's Silence.) TCM sustains me. I'm not going anywhere. I simply have to mute the sound when whats-his-name appears on screen.

No one else is doing what TCM is doing. Hell, where else can you see Abel Gance's La Roue? A silent film, more than 4 hours in length. That's just one of countless examples. TCM is teaming up with Criterion for a streaming service of some of the best films ever made. I'm a devoted viewer and this shall not change.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Good points Para. I've just got in the habit of screening the guide each week and setting the DVR for TCM movies I want to watch. Then at my leisure I watch the movies I recorded on my own schedule. You are correct that it TCM is unmatched when it comes to entertainment for film. In the last 10 years it's become a staple in my viewing entertainment. Yes, I realize TCM was on long before prior to me catching up, but it is probably the most enjoyable channel available these days.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like "A Face in the Crowd"
Andy as a bad guy, Patricia Neal as the agonized supporter.
The movie reminds me more about infotainers like Glen Beck than the current President.

Posts: 245 | Registered: April 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
There's no need to look for a pattern on TCM this month. Not only is it the annual 31 Days of Oscar festival, which limits TCM to Oscar winning films only, the lazy children doing the programming at TCM these days have come up with their laziest work yet: These films are simply being broadcast in- ready for this?- alphabetical order. Roll Eyes

How lazy can you get? In all my years of watching TCM, I cannot recall such indifference on their part. I miss Robert Osbourne.

posted Hide Post
I saw a short, newsreel film late last night from just after WWII which I thought falls right in with Paras line of thought. Dealt with on going Nazism and Fascism after the war. I found it odd since I had never seen it before and I spend lots of time on TCM.
But I missed the films title. It was pretty hard edged and spent quite a bit of time talking about Fascism rising in the US.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post