SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Report This Post
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Report This Post Login/Join 
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
After much consideration of my illustrious position as Member of this board I must pass my judgement on the moderation of this board....

Double Secret Probation

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
If this offends anyone, that is their problem. I make no apologies for being myself and doing what I think is right.

On that, we find ourselves in total agreement. I think Arc and Para are good people or I wouldn’t be here, having this conversation, misguided as it may be. They’re both outspoken, bombastic characters when it comes to speaking their minds and I find that to be an inspiring, instructive thing. I would hope it isn’t simply because they’re staff, and that they want to have real discussions with us. I’m prepared to chat on that level. I respect both of these gentlemen and would hope I don’t always have to agree with them or like what they have to say, though I usually do.

But this thread? What good is it doing us? A vague call-out with an admonishment to not do something that hasn’t been actually quantified? This could have been handled in a way that didn’t make forum members feel like they were in the wrong when they were trying to help the staff.

Arc, I just saw your post. Nobody expects perfect, man. But might you tone down the aggression and belittlement just a hair? Old Dino was good people, and he wasn’t the only one to feel slapped in the face by your posts in that thread, or others preceding it. I’m just an asshole, but you’re staff.

As for your batting average, I’m sure it’s better than most, but like me, you have no compunctions about smacking someone pretty hard when you feel it’s warranted.

If the forum staff wants to terminate my membership over this, I will understand and accept being banned for insubordination and take my lumps, and I know the answer should be “nobody cares if you like or respect it.” And with that, I also agree. If not, I would appreciate being allowed to stay and accept that my behavior in this thread renders me outside the good core of the membership who would care to participate with me, which is misfortunate, but which I also fully understand.

All I know for sure is that nobody wants to be made a fool of in front of the whole class, and that method of teaching generally only foments problems.

Posts: 17209 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
A vague call out, to curtail a particular behavior, has been SOP for many years. Long before I was staff.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27022 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:...
All I know for sure is that nobody wants to be made a fool of in front of the whole class, and that method of teaching generally only foments problems.

Q.E.D.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43920 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
And in this case, the admin has said that the sum effect of this tactic is that thread reports, which he finds useful, have ceased.

Different tools in the tool chest do different things and can’t all be universally applied to every task.

I said a lot of other things, but I guess they don’t matter.

Posts: 17209 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:...

Q.E.D.

Oh, I addressed that in the same post. This makes me an asshole, I understand that.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
If the forum staff wants to terminate my membership over this, I will understand and accept being banned for insubordination and take my lumps, and I know the answer should be “nobody cares if you like or respect it.” And with that, I also agree. If not, I would appreciate being allowed to stay and accept that my behavior in this thread renders me outside the good core of the membership who would care to participate with me, which is misfortunate, but which I also fully understand.

No one is calling for that. Considering that you're critiquing a forum staff member, I think the administration has been rather reserved, wouldn't you agree?

Let me ask you this Smudge: Do you feel that you've made your point?

quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

Do you feel like you've been called a fool? Because both Arc and Para have specifically said that the, perhaps-overzealous member had not posted in this thread. Therefore, it could not be you.

On the other hand, perhaps you mean that Arc is the "fool" because you're calling him out, by name, in front of the whole forum? If so, what is the difference between your publicly calling him out and his publicly calling out the overzealous poster? Isn't your effort worse for its lack of anonymity?

I'm inclined to lock this thread if there can be no new insights gained from it.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did not find the post objectionable at all. I simply understood that if you frequently use the report post, be damn sure there is a reason. If you dont use it regularly, be damn sure there is a reason. Since i may have used it twice in the nearly 10 years i have been here. I figured it was just a reminder of good practices. Frankly this is the last forum i am a member of. I love it here partly because the membership group does a good jo. At self policing in a respectful way, and because in nearly every other way the forum is clean, tidy, free of shenanigans.

I understand Arcs post for what it is, i understood para's for what it is. I see the balance to be walked. Not that hard to see or understand. No complaints from me.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barry1967:
Those who have reported those who have reported the reported posts, have been reported!

Gotta love Monty Python. Big Grin

You, sir, are sacked! Big Grin

Posts: 4505 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I read the initial post the other day and saw the wisdom.

Watched the thread grow and wondered to myself what could have been worth adding multiple pages to a “duh” post from an admin.

After reading four of those pages, I’m still wondering...

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
No one is calling for that. Considering that you're critiquing a forum staff member, I think the administration has been rather reserved, wouldn't you agree?

Yes, sir.

quote:
Let me ask you this Smudge: Do you feel that you've made your point?

Yes, sir. I do, and I have.

quote:
Do you feel like you've been called a fool? Because both Arc and Para have specifically said that the, perhaps-overzealous member had not posted in this thread. Therefore, it could not be you.

At first, yes I did. You know how often I report things because you can check. None of the rest of us know any such thing. This entire thread is loaded with comments deriding anyone who reports a post, and this was a conversation started by a staff member and it continued to spitball until Para said something to the opposite effect.

quote:
On the other hand, perhaps you mean that Arc is the "fool" because you're calling him out, by name, in front of the whole forum? If so, what is the difference between your publicly calling him out and his publicly calling out the overzealous poster? Isn't your effort worse for its lack of anonymity?

I would never call Arc a fool, and never called him one. He isn't one. I don't always succeed, but I try to be pretty specific when I communicate. If I wanted to insult Arc, I would have been forthright in doing so. Questioning his moderating tactics is what I did, and right or wrong, it's what I did. No excuses.

quote:
I'm inclined to lock this thread if there can be no new insights gained from it.

I will not be replying further as I do not wish to completely piss off the staff and the membership, which is perhaps already accomplished. So if you're inclined to lock it because of me, just know I'm taking the message to stop and will do so.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

Chick in the green shirt, your reported.

You wouldn't have reported her, had she been hot. Big Grin

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every once and a while, a post comes up...
Somewhere in the middle of it, you just scratch your head and wonder how simple shit just turned sideways.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8368 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post