SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Report This Post
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Report This Post Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Over post reporting is a gateway to going full retard. Acceptable prevalence for going full retard is covered in the waiver.

Posts: 7481 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
What about his first amendment rights? Big Grin
They're right there with the 25%-50% off dog treats.
You mean the ones that the dog micturated on?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30727 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I've only reported a post by accident and couldn't Unreport it. I don't get why people feel the need to do this. If you don't like it, move on. Don't act like a liberal.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7963 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10953 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
At least one person, has been using this feature way too much.

I wager you know who you are. Knock it off.

You've managed to clutter the reporting, which is a feat in itself. Please refrain from reporting posts that are not egregious, offensive, or outright rule breaking.

The "Report This Post" feature, is not meant to let the staff know when something mildly annoys you.

If you have reported a lot of posts lately, this is for you.

I can't decide if this is more reminiscent of Sister Margaret in 4th grade or of how anti gunners treat the millions of people who did't shoot up a school and never will.

This isn't "talking to the whole class". It's insulting, unproductive, and generally lame.

Posts: 1931 | Location: S.E. Michigan/Macomb County | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
New term...... Sigflakes

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2672 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there a way to see all the reported posts in one thread? It could rival the cat pictures for entertainment.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2072 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
quote:
Hey Farve, what's that restaurant you like with all the shit on the walls?

What is this? Inside joke, or internet meme I missed?

It's a quote from a movie called Super Troopers.

The answer is "Shenanigans", a term that Arc has just used in his previous post.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37120 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
I've hit the "Report" icon a bunch of times... because my fingers are big and the tablet's screen is small.

If you click the link, does it require some sort of confirmation before it goes Critical Offended?

Posts: 2471 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
If you click the link, does it require some sort of confirmation before it goes Critical Offended?

Clicking the icon just brings up a window, similar to the Reply window, where you can add some comments and then click the "Continue" button to submit it to the Mods.

So just fat-fingering the "Report This Post" icon shouldn't cause any harm, provided you immediately close out that window without hitting "Continue".

Posts: 32553 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
While I personally prefer the “personal” approach in most cases, there is a benefit to the “shotgun” method in that it lets others know those in charge are aware of the situation and dealing with it.

Walks the line between not calling someone out publicly, while letting the public know it is both happening and being handled..

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10953 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
I've yet to see anything so heinous here that it merited reporting. And IDK if there's even an ignore feature, let alone use it.

Posts: 5759 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Unlike many forums, this doesn’t have a separate rules section, and I therefore pay attention when a moderator posts something like this because even when it doesn’t apply to me, it’s useful information and helps me avoid transgressions in other areas. If it were handled strictly on a direct to the individual basis, I wouldn’t gain any benefit from it, so I appreciate admonitions to the group. And of course if there are those who aren’t quite to the level of warranting a direct contact, the sorts of general reminders that we often see here may head off the need for a direct contact.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47414 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
I don't get why people feel the need to do this. If you don't like it, move on. Don't act like a liberal.

This. In spades.

Oops, I suppose that was racist. Don't report me.

Posts: 20130 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
I've hit the "Report" icon a bunch of times... because my fingers are big and the tablet's screen is small.

Happens to me often on my tablet. I just carefully close the window.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
If a post is offensive enough to report then the mods will catch it, and its their call. The one post that I have been closest to reporting was by "Eat a Bag of Dicks" Pete the dog-hater. At the time it seemed rude. Then at the time of his ban it was clear that the post was mocking. And then he was gone.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5967 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
If a post is offensive enough to report then the mods will catch it...
Not necessarily. There's a lot of stuff to read here and no one reads it all.

Reported posts are for the most part very useful to me. I get an email for each post reported and I read every one of them and I act upon substantial portion of them, and all of them are welcome.

Arc, it seems that you've spooked the members, as no one is reporting posts at this time. I agree that one members was exhibiting a bit too much enthusiasm, but by leaving members guessing just who you're talking about, you've discouraged members from helping us out. I realize that wasn't your intention, but that seems to be the result.

The person in question is not a name you guys would recognize. He posts very rarely and he's certainly not in this thread.

Don't hesitate to use the feature, guys. You'd be surprised out how very useful these little tips are.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107722 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't hesitate to use the feature, guys.

Well, maybe in this thread, but otherwise message received.

Funny - I can recall a handful of instances where I've taken the time to look up an email and give a member a courtesy heads-up on something. I guess if I got told to sod off I'd come back to the Report option.

Self governing is the theme of the day in most instances I hear!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12440 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey Farve, what's that restaurant you like with all the shit on the walls?

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
If a post is offensive enough to report then the mods will catch it...
Not necessarily. There's a lot of stuff to read here and no one reads it all.

Reported posts are for the most part very useful to me. I get an email for each post reported and I read every one of them and I act upon substantial portion of them, and all of them are welcome.

Arc, it seems that you've spooked the members, as no one is reporting posts at this time. I agree that one members was exhibiting a bit too much enthusiasm, but by leaving members guessing just who you're talking about, you've discouraged members from helping us out. I realize that wasn't your intention, but that seems to be the result.

The person in question is not a name you guys would recognize. He posts very rarely and he's certainly not in this thread.

Don't hesitate to use the feature, guys. You'd be surprised out how very useful these little tips are.

Well, that and he invited a pile-on for all the manly men to show how manly they are because they aren't snowflakes and never get offended. Probably none of them have administrated a forum before and have no idea the amount of time and effort it requires. "Snitches get stitches" and all that. Maybe those fellas would prefer some unmoderated forum, but don't exactly know what that's like. I'm not at all surprised thread reports have ceased, since we've had two pages of people chiming in that anyone that does it is basically bitch-made instead of trying to help without causing further inflamattion. Manly men never call the police.

A long time ago, in a land no so far away, I administrated a video game forum that had about four times the active membership here, five admins total, a dozen and a half mods, owned by a corporation that was publicly traded. Liability was a concern. We could hardly keep up with the shit that was getting reported, far more egregious stuff than what ever goes on here. Goatse, tubgirl and a few particular websites that shouldn't be named got linked to on a regular basis, and the tools to simply block that stuff out weren't yet a thing, and once they were, could still be easily bypassed.

We flat relied on post reporting, because the activity level was nearly a full-time job to monitor. If you like a neat and civil forum, then it's useful to be able to call a moderator's attention to something iffy. If a day goes by and it's still up, well, then staff is alright with it and so you move on and don't report that sort of thing again.

We had one dude that reported dozens of posts a day, and I finally sent him an email and simply said "Hey, we would appreciate it if you would chill out just a bit." He got the hint.

My last supervisor came from a contracting/construction/quarry background and was placed in his first supervisory role ever at this job. He loved to call shop meetings and even used the phrase "address the class" to berate whoever it was that did whatever it was that pissed him off, and spoke to all of us and made eye contact with all of us so we all felt like we were getting accused. Problem was, it was a shop of 6-9 guys and everyone knew who he was talking about on whatever offense, so it felt like a public down-dressing in front of the rest of the whole class. Morale went right in the toilet and people started to quit. It made his life harder, and so he bore down harder on who was left. I managed to see the company owner take him out back and my car windows were up while I drove past, so I didn't hear anything that was said, but I've never seen such an animated ass-chewing in my life. No more "shop meetings" after that, offenders got called down into the basement for correction.

Internet forums can be run a number of ways, but I found the best success on my old forum came from following reports from "snitches" on the back-end and handling it quietly, with a minimum of fuss and drama on the open forum. Much the way you do, Para. I thank you for weighing in on this because before I've seen you implore the membership to simply report posts they think the staff need be aware of and let them handle it rather than try to moderate things themselves, or pile on. I've seen you do it multiple times over my tenure here (and I thank you for allowing me to stay), and this thread honestly made me scratch my head and say "ummm... what?" It muddied the waters, as it were. I appreciate your clarification and will abide by the headmaster's ruling.

Sometimes it's more harmful to address the class than to pull Little Johnny aside and say "hey, we need you to stop doing this."

Posts: 17215 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post