SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency
Page 1 ... 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 522

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
take the damn chairs out,let these smug clowns stand .
Then drag the briefing with Ms sanders on for hours in an easy chair all the while staff serves her refreshments

Excellent idea!

I never thought about it but the President's PR person has to stand for the whole briefing, so why not the press? If they need to take notes they can bring a clipboard.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
More bad economic news, if you have Blind Trump Rage Syndrome

https://www.atr.org/list

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
WSJ
By Gerald F. Seib
Jan. 18, 2018 5:30 a.m. ET

On the second day of the new year, President Donald Trump uncorked a remarkable string of 16 tweets directly from his personal account. In them, he criticized Pakistan, threatened to take American aid away from the Palestinians, claimed personal credit for a year without commercial aviation deaths, attacked the news media and proclaimed he has a bigger “Nuclear Button” than does the leader of North Korea.

Every aspect of that Twitter chain—from the platform used, to the tone deployed, to the sensitive foreign-policy ground covered in public—marks a departure from past presidential behavior. In short, that chain is a pretty good illustration of the way Mr. Trump has changed both the presidency and what Americans have come to expect of it.

In the year since he took the oath of office, Mr. Trump has shown that he simply isn’t bound by what had been seen as the previous conventions of the role he is playing. Other presidents have sought to avoid or tamp down controversy; he is as likely to stir up or make a beeline toward controversy, seeing it as a tool in effecting change. Past presidents have tended to speak off-the-cuff sparingly and carefully; Mr. Trump does it every day on a social-media platform never before deployed this way.

Past presidents strained to show consistency in all they said and advocated, fearful that changing positions would open them to charges they are feckless or unprincipled. Mr. Trump shifts positions frequently and effortlessly—at one point standing on several sides of a tense immigration debate during a single televised discussion—and boasts that keeping foes guessing that way is an asset. “I’m a very flexible person,” he said in a recent interview with The Wall Street Journal. He added: “I don’t know what the word permanent means.”

For Businesses, a Net Success

Trump's initiatives on taxes and regulation have been broadly welcomed by business, even though his relationship with CEOs has sometimes stumbled.

William Daley, who served as a cabinet secretary and White House chief of staff for Barack Obama, says simply: “He’s fundamentally changed how people, not just here but around the world, view the presidency.”

In substantive terms, if a populist is defined as someone who challenges the country’s established elites and their views in the name of “the people,” Mr. Trump is the most populist president in modern times. That has scrambled the conventional wisdom on trade, and produced unusual presidential pressure on companies and chief executive officers as they make decisions about their firms’ capital investment and hiring plans.

Key Moments from Trump’s First Year

“He’s now changed the argument in Washington, which for the last 70 years was: Build a global world order based on uneven trade deals, create global economic interdependence and rising middle classes around the world, (and that) will keep the world at peace,” says Anthony Scaramucci, a Trump backer who served briefly as White House communications director. “The U.S. will be a benevolent superpower to a world at peace and our economy will grow. That was the paradigm. Trump wants to do all that, but even out the trade deals—make the trade deals more fair—because he believes that will benefit the American worker and the middle class.”

More than most recent presidents, he acts more like a chief executive officer of the government than its chief operating officer. Rather than present his own detailed policy proposals, he has relied on fellow Republicans in Congress to work out the details of a health plan, a tax cut and an immigration overhaul, preferring to position himself instead as a leader who retains the flexibility to close the deal rather than one who seeks to determine its precise contours.

It remains unclear how effective this new presidential style is. It has produced a historic tax cut and a broad loosening of government regulation—both of which are helping fuel a stock-market boom—as well as a significant change in the kinds of judges sitting on federal courts.

Yet the president failed to lead the way to a new health-care system or build broad support for his views on immigration, and his dealings with allies remain controversial. Even some of the president’s backers admit they feel worn down by the feel of unending turmoil. Despite Mr. Trump’s efforts to govern as almost a political independent, his polarizing style has helped prevent him from getting significant Democratic support for his initiatives, which could doom his hopes of getting a broad agreement on rebuilding America’s infrastructure.

It’s also unclear whether the changes Mr. Trump has brought to the presidency are permanent, or are unique to him as a man who, unlike any of his presidential predecessors, arrived with no prior experience in public office or the military. That status as a genuine outsider may help him pull off his style of governing, but also may mean others couldn’t do the job quite this way.

“The difference between Trump and other people is a level of authenticity that other people lack,” says Sean Spicer, who was Mr. Trump’s first White House press secretary. “You can love or hate what he does, but all of it is authentic.”

He adds, though: “Anybody who believes they are going to follow in his footsteps is sorely mistaken.”

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
We sometimes over use the word "unique".

But I would say Donald Trump is authentically "unique" in American politics.

So much "concern" and investigation about foreign money possibly supporting Donald Trump in the 2016 campaign.

Remember this from 2012 ?

(Peter Schweizer wrote "Clinton Cash")

https://www.washingtontimes.co...l-foreign-donations/

According to a recent report issued by the Government Accountability Institute (GAI), people residing in countries around the globe are apparently taking President Obama’s declaration a bit too literally and may be flooding the Obama campaign with foreign contributions in violation of federal election law.

The report’s authors, Peter Schweizer and Peter Boyer, noted:

“With millions of online campaign donations ricocheting through cyberspace, one might think the Federal Election Commission would have erected serious walls to guard federal elections from foreign or fraudulent Internet contributions. But that’s far from true. In fact, campaigns are largely expected to police these matters themselves.”

The Internet site Obama.com isn’t owned by the Obama campaign.

It’s owned by China-based American businessman Robert Roche, CEO of Acorn International, a large media company. As Mr. Schweizer and Mr. Boyer note, 68 percent of the some 2,000 visitors each day on Obama.com are foreign in origin.

Visitors to Obama.com are redirected on the site to a donation page on the campaign’s official website, BarackObama.com, and reportedly receive campaign solicitations as well.

Internet donations continue to flood into the Obama campaign, creating a rich environment for campaign finance fraud.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Rep. Gaetz is calling a 4 page memo now held by all members of Congress as Top Secret to be released to the public by immmediate vote, as critical as the continuing resolution.

“.... go to the very foundations of American democracy. “

“..... regarding the FBI the DOJ and the Presidency.”

He cannot discuss the specifics of the memo, but pertains to the concerns of Rep. Jordan, DeSantis and others and the Judiciary Committee.”

Every Democrat on the Juduciary Comittee voted against releasing to the members of Congress, every Republican on the committe voted for release to members. Gaetz wants it released to the public immediately,this evening if possible.

This was on Fox Business just now with Liz Claiman.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Every Democrat on the Juduciary Comittee voted against releasing to the members of Congress...

Enemies of the State.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rep. Gaetz is calling a 4 page memo now held by all members of Congress as Top Secret to be released to the public

I was just thinking: The House Intel Comm got the DoJ/FBI data about the FISA warrants and dossier back on 5 Jan 2018.

Almost 2 weeks ago. And it has been pretty quiet ever since.

http://www.foxnews.com/politic...-be-made-public.html

Several Republican members of Congress are reacting with shock and alarm after reading a “disturbing” four-page memo given to lawmakers on Thursday that details government surveillance abuses.

Speaking with Fox News on Thursday, the lawmakers said they could not yet discuss the contents, but thought the memo should be immediately made public.

“It is so alarming, the American people have to see it,” Ohio Rep. Jim Jordan said.

“It's troubling. It's shocking,” North Carolina Rep. Mark Meadows said. “Part of me wishes I didn't read it. I don’t want to believe that those kinds of things are happening in this country that I love so much.”

Florida Rep. Matt Gaetz said he believed people could lose their jobs after the memo is released.

“I believe the consequence of its release will be major changes in people currently working at the FBI and the Department of Justice,” he said, referencing DOJ officials Rod Rosenstein and Bruce Ohr.

“You think about, ‘is this happening in America or is this the KGB?’ That's how alarming it is,” Pennsylvania Rep. Scott Perry said.

The House Intelligence Committee on Thursday approved a motion by New York Rep. Pete King to release the memo on abuses of FISA, or the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, to all House members.

A source close to the matter said the memo details the Intelligence Committee’s oversight work for the FBI and Justice, including the controversy over unmasking and FISA surveillance.

The vote Thursday morning on releasing the memo to lawmakers was along party lines, with Democrats voting against making it available for all members.

The process for releasing it to the public involves a committee vote, a source said. If approved, it could be released as long as there are no objections from the White House within five days.

House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes, R-Calif., told Fox News in December that his investigators have already uncovered evidence of abuse in the U.S. government's surveillance practices.

“I believe there's evidence that abuses have occurred," Nunes said at the time.

Nunes pointed to the leaked conversation of former national security adviser, Gen. Mike Flynn with the Russian ambassador.

On Thursday, the Senate voted 65-34 to reauthorize a FISA provision that allows U.S. spy agencies to conduct surveillance on foreign targets abroad for six years. The bill, which already has been passed by the House, now heads to the White House,where President Donald Trump has said he will sign it into law.

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Duh, of course there are abuses. There is zero accountability at the DOJ and FBI and has been for years.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
quote:
Rep. Gaetz is calling a 4 page memo now held by all members of Congress as Top Secret to be released to the public

I was just thinking: The House Intel Comm got the DoJ/FBI data about the FISA warrants and dossier back on 5 Jan 2018.

Almost 2 weeks ago. And it has been pretty quiet ever since.

http://www.foxnews.com/politic...-be-made-public.html

Several Republican members of Congress are reacting with shock and alarm after reading a “disturbing” four-page memo given to lawmakers on Thursday that details government surveillance abuses.

Speaking with Fox News on Thursday, the lawmakers said they could not yet discuss the contents, but thought the memo should be immediately made public.

“It is so alarming, the American people have to see it,” Ohio Rep. Jim Jordan said.

“It's troubling. It's shocking,” North Carolina Rep. Mark Meadows said. “Part of me wishes I didn't read it. I don’t want to believe that those kinds of things are happening in this country that I love so much.”

Florida Rep. Matt Gaetz said he believed people could lose their jobs after the memo is released.

“I believe the consequence of its release will be major changes in people currently working at the FBI and the Department of Justice,” he said, referencing DOJ officials Rod Rosenstein and Bruce Ohr.

“You think about, ‘is this happening in America or is this the KGB?’ That's how alarming it is,” Pennsylvania Rep. Scott Perry said.

The House Intelligence Committee on Thursday approved a motion by New York Rep. Pete King to release the memo on abuses of FISA, or the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, to all House members.

A source close to the matter said the memo details the Intelligence Committee’s oversight work for the FBI and Justice, including the controversy over unmasking and FISA surveillance.

The vote Thursday morning on releasing the memo to lawmakers was along party lines, with Democrats voting against making it available for all members.

The process for releasing it to the public involves a committee vote, a source said. If approved, it could be released as long as there are no objections from the White House within five days.

House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes, R-Calif., told Fox News in December that his investigators have already uncovered evidence of abuse in the U.S. government's surveillance practices.

“I believe there's evidence that abuses have occurred," Nunes said at the time.

Nunes pointed to the leaked conversation of former national security adviser, Gen. Mike Flynn with the Russian ambassador.

On Thursday, the Senate voted 65-34 to reauthorize a FISA provision that allows U.S. spy agencies to conduct surveillance on foreign targets abroad for six years. The bill, which already has been passed by the House, now heads to the White House,where President Donald Trump has said he will sign it into law.

You posted the prior story on January 12, page 509. Things are heating up.

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
The interview of the Sen Judiciary Comm w Glenn Simpson of Fusion was released by Diane Feinstein.

Now Simpson's testimony to the House Intel Comm had been released

pdf at

http://docs.house.gov/meetings...0-20180118-SD002.pdf

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I heard a speech by Donald today at HK Equipment. Did anyone else hear it? The things he said.....it felt so good to hear someone who represents the people, say those things again. It has been far too long. The nostalgia of listening to an America loving bold leader was overwhelming and I waxed lachrymal....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wow!! It's troubling! It's shocking!!! This can't be happening in America!!!! It's so bad I wish I didn't read it!!!!

Must be really terrible if some people could, maybe, might, possibly lose their job! Eek
If it's all that why does it have to be released before heads could, might, maybe, possibly roll?
Why aren't people doing the perp walk already?

It's confirmation hard copy of what we've all known for awhile now. Obama spied on Trump.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
quote:

Rosenstein and Wray (FBI) tried to get Paul Ryan to stop Nunes from getting the sensitive DoJ/FBI information a couple weeks ago.

Ryan backed Nunes.

important edit : I listened to the interview w Rep Gaetz. At least in the part that I watched, he did not mention Rosenstein or Ohr by name

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sdy,

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
quote:

Wow!! It's troubling! It's shocking!!! This can't be happening in America!!!! It's so bad I wish I didn't read it!!!!

Must be really terrible if some people could, maybe, might, possibly lose their job! Eek
If it's all that why does it have to be released before heads could, might, maybe, possibly roll?
Why aren't people doing the perp walk already?

It's confirmation hard copy of what we've all known for awhile now. Obama spied on Trump.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of Agent Smith in the Matrix. The liberals, deep state, and MSM had their time...this...is our time.

Or if one prefers, Gladiator, the time for glorifying yourselves will soon be at an end.

Apparently according to sources who’ve seen it, but can’t talk about it yet, it is as bad as we’ve expected all along. I can’t wait until the dam breaks and the MSM is no longer powerful enough to contain it.

Now back to important news, are any of you worried about his physical and if he might be watching too much TV? Roll Eyes

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Report This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
The interview of the Sen Judiciary Comm w Glenn Simpson of Fusion was released by Diane Feinstein.

Now Simpson's testimony to the House Intel Comm had been released

pdf at

http://docs.house.gov/meetings...0-20180118-SD002.pdf

There are bombshells, I tell you!

The pesky Ruskies were infiltrating the NRA!

quote:
MS. SPEIER: Okay. What is the interest of Russia with the National Rifle Association?
MR. SIMPSON: I think that most of what we have found is pretty much out there now. You know, it's been said by others, but, you know, what eventually - it appears the Russians, you know, infiltrated the NRA And there is more than one explanation for why. But I would say broadly speaking, it appears that the Russian operation was designed to infiltrate conservative organizations. And they targeted various conservative organizations, religious and otherwise, and they seem to have made a very concerted effort to get in with the NRA.

And so there is a Russian banker-slash-Duma member-slash-Mafia leader named Alexander Torshin who is a life member of the NRA. And we spent a lot of time investigating Mr. Torshin.And he is well known to Spanish law enforcement for money laundering activity, and you have probably seen the press articles.And I think the Spanish files on him should be available to you.And he, as you know, was supposed to have a meeting with President Trump after the inauguration. And somebody noticed that there had been some stories about him that weren't pretty good .

Simpson transcript, p. 142

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
"Things are heating up"

Man, I hope so.

http://www.washingtonexaminer....blic/article/2646313

At the committee's meeting Thursday morning, Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y., offered a motion to allow all House members to review a brief report prepared by the Republican majority summarizing the panel's investigation into what GOP members call "FISA abuse ." (That is a reference to the secret court set up by the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.) The motion passed the committee on a party-line vote.

The report answers the question of whether the FBI and Justice used the dossier for one or more surveillance warrants, plus other issues

There will be no copies of the report handed out to House members. Instead, a copy will be made available for them to read in a secure room in the Capitol. They won't be able to take the report out of the room. But they will know the answers to the questions.

so we can't know the answers, but Maxine Waters can

When will the public know? Obviously, the more House members know about the dossier investigation, the more likely its classified results are to leak. That might happen at any time.

If enough members support declassifying the House Intel report, then the House as a body could move to declassify the information in it. And then the public would know.

It's unclear whether that will happen. Much depends on lawmakers' reaction to the report. But after months of delays and frustration, things appear to be moving quickly on the dossier front. They'll likely move faster in coming days, after more lawmakers have taken a look at the new report.

back on page 482:

A group of House Republicans has gathered secretly for weeks in the Capitol in an effort to build a case that senior leaders of the Justice Department and FBI improperly — and perhaps criminally — mishandled the contents of a dossier that describes alleged ties between President Donald Trump and Russia, according to four people familiar with their plans.

A subset of the Republican members of the House intelligence committee, led by Chairman Devin Nunes of California, has been quietly working parallel to the committee's high-profile inquiry into Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election. They haven't informed Democrats about their plans, but they have consulted with the House's general counsel.

The people familiar with Nunes' plans said the goal is to highlight what some committee Republicans see as corruption and conspiracy in the upper ranks of federal law enforcement. The group hopes to release a report early next year detailing their concerns about the DOJ and FBI, and they might seek congressional votes to declassify elements of their evidence.

The sources familiar with the separate inquiry said it was born out of steadily building frustration with the Justice Department's refusal to share details of the way the Trump dossier was used to launch the FBI's investigation of his campaign team last year — or whether it was the basis for any court-ordered surveillance of Trump associates.

A congressional aide with knowledge of the meetings said Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) was not among the participants. ”While he does believe the FBI and DOJ have recently made decisions worth looking into, he is and will always be a defender of the FBI, DOJ and the special counsel," the aide said.

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Hannity tonight had Rep Jordan and Rep Gaetz on about the 4 page report.

They would not provide details, but were emphatic that the report will expose the Mueller investigation as baseless.

Hannity made statements that were not confirmed or denied. He said at the center of the conspiracy are Strzok, Page, McCabe and Ohr.

But others are involved.

Hannity also said that the dossier was used to get a FISA warrant in the summer of 2016 against Carter Page.

Hannity also made a very cryptic comment about Sidney Blumenthal being involved. Blumenthal was the Clinton close advisor who had his email hacked by Guccifer. Blumenthal was the Clinton political attack dog. His 2008 attacks against Obama were so vicious (but maybe true) that Obama forbade Clinton from bringing Blumenthal into the State Dept.

Just as a side comment, the Blumenthal hacked emails showed Blumenthal had contacts into the CIA.

This could be a BFD.