SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency
Page 1 ... 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 ... 522

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
James Woods strikes again...

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8537 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Report This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Winning... Still not tired.

Clinton Appointee Tosses Lawsuit Claiming Trump Violated Constitution’s Anti-Corruption Provisions

A federal court in New York City has dismissed a lawsuit against President Donald Trump that alleged his failure to divest from the Trump business empire violated anti-corruption provisions of the Constitution.

U.S. District Judge George Daniels, a Clinton administration appointee, ruled Thursday that the case could not proceed because the plaintiffs could not prove that Trump’s actions tangibly harmed their businesses.

The lawsuit was brought by Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW), an anti-Trump watchdog group formerly led by Clinton ally David Brock. A number of accomplished lawyers and legal scholars participated in the effort, including Professor Laurence Tribe of Harvard Law School, Erwin Chemerinsky, dean of the law school at the University of California, Berkeley, and Richard Painter, an ethics lawyer in the George W. Bush White House.

The suit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, the federal trial court in Manhattan.

The plaintiffs claim that their economic livelihood has been adversely affected by their inability to compete with Trump’s businesses following his election to the presidency. The plaintiffs — event planners, hoteliers, and restaurant owners — claim they have lost business in recent months, as prospective costumers flock to Trump properties to curry favor with the administration or secure greater exposure.

Daniels was not convinced, however, finding that the plaintiffs could not show that Trump’s actions hurt their business. Daniels explained that interest in Trump properties would naturally attend his election to the presidency. Such an organic development in the market, he said, is not grounds for a lawsuit.

“[T]he connection between the hospitality plaintiffs alleged injuries and defendant’s actions is too tenuous to satisfy Article III’s causation requirement,” he wrote.

He also noted that nothing in the Constitution suggests its anti-corruption provisions are meant to protect people from fair economic competition.

“Nothing in the text or the history of the emoluments clauses suggests that the framers intended these provisions to protect anyone from competition,” he wrote.

On a separate note, Daniels wrote the Constitution explicitly cedes enforcement of the emoluments clause to Congress. Therefore, it would only be appropriate for a court to hear an emoluments challenge if Congress first attempted to enforce the provision, and the president refused to comply.

“Congress is not a potted plant,” he wrote in a footnote. “It is a co-equal branch of the federal government with the power to act as a body in response to defendant’s alleged foreign emoluments clause violations, if it chooses to do so.”

Speaking after the ruling, CREW executive director Noah Bookbinder said the organization would review its options before proceeding with a potential appeal.

“While today’s ruling is a setback, we will not walk away from this serious and ongoing constitutional violation,” he said. “The Constitution is explicit on these issues, and the president is clearly in violation.”

http://dailycaller.com/2017/12...rruption-provisions/

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Report This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
This is weird.

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/...-bunny-picture-book/

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31427 | Registered: February 20, 2000Report This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Antifa and BLM can cause a lot of trouble, stir up violence, but it's a far cry from civil war.

All they have gone up against so far are inanimate objects (busting windows and torching buildings), or unarmed people. Wait until they come up against somebody who fights back.

Don't forget Based Stickman...

Posts: 1815 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Report This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
James Woods strikes again...

Fixed it for you. Smile

"The owner of this website (www.thegatewaypundit.com) does not allow hotlinking to that resource"

When that happens, you either need to download the image or screen capture it, and then upload to a 3rd party hosting site.

Here is the Complete Article.

Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
James Woods should be invited to the White House or something.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31427 | Registered: February 20, 2000Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
There is "something creepy" about a so called Republican doing everything he can to bring down a Republican president.

Bill Kristol has been exposed as a total tool piece of trash.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
There is "something creepy" about a so called Republican doing everything he can to bring down a Republican president.

Bill Kristol has been exposed as a total tool piece of trash.

Rush said ti best the other day. Those who have to preface what they say with "I'm a conservative but...." really aren't.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37118 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Report This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Kristol is just a never-Trumper who'd criticize DJT even if Trump was able cure cancer because of all the cancer research centers that would shutdown Roll Eyes

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4336 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Report This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:

Clinton Appointee Tosses Lawsuit Claiming Trump Violated Constitution’s Anti-Corruption Provisions

Winning is fun.
quote:

“Congress is not a potted plant,”

Neither is Brendan Sullivan
quote:

“While today’s ruling is a setback, we will not walk away from this serious and ongoing constitutional violation,” he said. “The Constitution is explicit on these issues, and the president is clearly in violation.”

Our and President Trump's enemies are not enjoying this fun, and seem to be suffering some sort of denial.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I got a nice creepy Christmas bonus! (as did everyone in the company)

But, it was not due to any legislation or regulatory actions, it was because we all worked hard and we had 25% increase in profits over last year.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43916 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
This is weird.

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/...-bunny-picture-book/

And so I bought Thump: The First Bundred Days. It will juxtapose well with
Corkscrew Bill

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rh:
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:

Winning is fun.
quote:

“Congress is not a potted plant,”

Neither is Brendan Sullivan
quote:

Our and President Trump's enemies are not enjoying this fun, and seem to be suffering some sort of denial.

Brendan Sullivan is not mentioned in the story above, and the last quote is not attributed to him or another lawyer, but to Noah Bookbinder.

The potted plant quote appeared in the opinion of the judge, nothing to do with Sullivan.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Brendan Sullivan is not mentioned in the story above, and the last quote is not attributed to him or another lawyer, but to Noah Bookbinder.

The potted plant quote appeared in the opinion of the judge, nothing to do with Sullivan.

Brendan Sullivan explained to Congress in 1987 : "Well, sir, I'm not a potted plant. I'm here as the lawyer." I watched that live on TV. I provided a link to Wikipedia which provides references. The "potted plant" thing is sort of a joke. Here is the reference again, but this time to the Oliver North trial section of the article.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rh:
quote:

Brendan Sullivan explained to Congress in 1987 : "Well, sir, I'm not a potted plant. I'm here as the lawyer." I watched that live on TV. I provided a link to Wikipedia which provides references. The "potted plant" thing is sort of a joke. Here is the reference again, but this time to the Oliver North trial section of the article.

Except Brendan Sullivan has nothing whatsoever to do with this story. It’s confusing and distracting to chase after that quote from 30 years ago. I thought Sullivan might be involved in the case and spent ~30 minutes chasing around for nothing.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Except Brendan Sullivan has nothing whatsoever to do with this story. It’s confusing and distracting to chase after that quote from 30 years ago. I thought Sullivan might be involved in the case and spent ~30 minutes chasing around for nothing.

The usage of "potted plant" was a reference to the past when Brendan Sullivan was representing client Oliver North in Congress. “Congress is not a potted plant,” was written by Judge Daniels with "tongue in cheek". This was just something that I noted in humor, and I regret that you spent 30 minutes trying to understand the reference.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Enough

Posts: 107697 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This is what's known as "reportage at gunpoint"

How's this for a dry story title?

These Companies Have Promised to Give Employees Bonuses Because the Tax Bill Passed

You got yer old "who, what, where, when and why", and that is all, baby.

"TYPE IT!! TYPE IT!! JUST LIKE I SAID!! YOU THINK I'M PLAYING AROUND?! THIS THING IS LOADED!!" Razz

Between a rock and a hard place- thats where these Trump-hating fools find themselves in the wake of the President's success with the Tax Act.

More to come in 2018. Cool

Posts: 107697 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Trump’s Wildly Successful First Year Again Exposes #NeverTrump as Amoral Saboteurs

Remember these names: Jonah Goldberg, David Frum, Bill Kristol, Rich Lowry, Max Boot, Mitt Romney, John Kasich, Joe Scarborough, Jeff Flake, Ben Sasse, Jennifer Rubin, George Will, Josh Jordan, Tom Nichols, Charles Cooke, Stephen Hayes, Tim Miller, John Podhoretz, Nicole Wallace, Steven Schmidt, Bret Stephens, Ross Douthat, Leon Wolf, David Brooks, Rick Wilson, Evan McMullin, Stuart Stevens, Red State, National Review, the Weekly Standard…

These are the so-called conservative men, women, and institutions who (among others) fought the hardest to sabotage Donald Trump’s presidential campaign, all in the unforgivable hope that Hillary Clinton would become president.

These are so-called conservatives who have, for nearly two years now, been promoting themselves and fundraising by smearing Trump as incompetent and “not a real conservative,” as a “Democrat in sheep’s clothing” — when, in fact, all of that best describes #NeverTrump.

These are the so-called conservatives who — after Trump’s first year in office — have now been proven as wrong as wrong can be. If their conservative credentials lost all credibility during a 2016 campaign during which they used whatever residual influence they had to hand the Oval Office to Clinton, the proven results of the past year should mean that they are written off forever as idiots, quacks, mercenaries, and con men.

Trump has had, in my opinion, the most successful first year of any president since Ronald Reagan. And not just a consequential first year that has already built a legacy, but a conservative first year. Below, I do my best to list these accomplishments, but there are so many, forgive me if a few are missed:

Real, honest-to-goodness tax reform and cuts — the most consequential in 30 years.
Opening ANWR for oil exploration, an accomplishment few can appreciate who do not remember the 90s and what a sacred cow this is for the left.
Killing the Obamacare mandate that brutalized those making less than $50,000 a year.
The Islamic State (ISIS) has been decimated.
After a 2016 of just 1.9 percent GDP growth, we have now had two quarters in a row of growth over three percent; predictions for the final quarter of 2017 are as high as four percent.
Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch, who has already proven himself the perfect replacement for Justice Antonin Scalia.
The Keystone XL and Dakota Access pipelines are a go — which means tens of thousands of jobs.
A record number of judicial appointments on the appeals courts.
The end of the War on Coal.
A surge in coal mining after 2016’s decline.
The end of the federal government’s violating the religious conscience through indefensible Obamacare mandates involving birth control and abortion pills.
The civil rights movement for school choice is getting the green light throughout the country.
Illegal immigration is way down.
The stock market hit record highs 70 times in 2017, rising 5,000 points for the first time ever.
The long-overdue recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.
We are free of the awful Paris climate treaty.
Regulatory reform that is just getting started, but it has already had a hugely positive effect on our economy.
Withdrawal from the Global Compact on Migration, which undercut American sovereignty.
Return of nearly two million acres to the state Utah that the federal government had stolen.
A $250 billion trade deal with China.
Many of our NATO allies are finally paying their dues.
Consumer confidence is the best we have seen in more than a decade.
Pulled us out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) in favor of the American worker and sovereignty.
Trump has managed to get China to help rein in North Korea.
Black unemployment is at a 17-year low.
Hispanic unemployment is at an all-time low.
Overall unemployment is at one percent.
Manufacturing jobs boom.
Standing up for persecuted Christian minorities in the Middle East.
Promoting Christmas.
Banning or demanding stronger vetting from countries most likely to import terrorists.
Housing sales are at an 11-year high.
Ban on transgender military recruits.
Now, you need to close your eyes and imagine what the list above would look like had #NeverTrump won the day and made Hillary Clinton president.

Now, try to imagine any one of the 16 Republicans who competed for the 2016 nomination accomplishing all of this, or even having the courage to stand up to a media onslaught to accomplish all of this, or even being, yes, conservative enough to do things like pull us out of the Paris climate agreement (something the Republican establishment’s failed 2012 nominee, Mitt Romney, opposes).

Trump’s conservatism, his competence, his willingness to stand up to gale force media hate to keep his promises, is unlike anything we have seen since 1981.

In the pursuit of only their own grift, personal fame, the gratification of bottomless egos, and a soft place to land among the Beautiful People, #NeverTrump lied to us, took our money, and fought tooth and nail to extend the disastrous Obama presidency into a third term.

And now, just one year into Trump’s presidency, #NeverTrump has once again been exposed for who they truly are — bitter, dishonest saboteurs more interested in their lofty place at the trough than the future of their own country.

All these bitter clingers have left now is to further degrade outlets such as the once-necessary National Review, a once-cherished laboratory of vibrant conservative ideas and thought, which is now a hangout for sore losers to keep rewriting the same column over and over and over again about how pure and virtuous they are, as they scold the rest of us for fighting for and sticking with a president who has delivered in ways they told us was not even within the realm of possibility.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-j...mp-amoral-saboteurs/

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
This may have been linked before, I haven't quite gotten to all the pages in the Trump threads yet.

DJT setting firm boundaries with CNN back in 1990.

"People say something false, I attack those people....because the news gets away with murder....the news media........."

Do the interview with somebody else

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1944 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Report This Post