SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency
Page 1 ... 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 ... 522

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
It seems like the constant stream of leaks coming from someone in the White House has completely stopped. I wonder what happened?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Report This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
Another difference between the sitting around talking college theory guy and the roll up the sleeves get it done businessman.

Couple of nice towers Trump has built here.

Posts: 5200 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Report This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3447 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Report This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
President Trump said Friday that he’ll release “ALL” of the remaining John F. Kennedy files, after being forced by U.S. spy agencies – of which he has been leery – to withhold thousands of still potentially sensitive documents.

"After strict consultation with General Kelly, the CIA and other agencies, I will be releasing ALL JFK files other than the names and addresses of any mentioned person who is still living," Trump tweeted. "I am doing this for reasons of full disclosure, transparency and in order to put any and all conspiracy theories to rest."

The National Archives on Thursday released 2,800 once-classified records related to the 1963 assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

Behind the scenes of the much-anticipated release, Trump and his White House lawyers were purportedly until the last minute going back and forth with U.S. intelligence officials over their requests for additional redactions.

And the requests irritated Trump, who continued to resist signing off on the request, according to an account by two White House officials who spoke only on condition of anonymity.

Late last week, Trump received his first official briefing on the release in an Oval Office meeting that included Kelly, his chief of staff; White House Counsel Don McGahn and National Security Council legal adviser John Eisenberg.

Just before the documents’ release, Trump wrote in a memorandum that he had "no choice" but to agree to requests from the CIA and FBI to keep thousands of documents secret because of the possibility that releasing the information could still harm national security.

Two aides said Trump was upset by what he perceived to be overly broad secrecy requests, adding that the agencies had been explicitly warned about his expectation that redactions be kept to a minimum.

According to White House officials, Trump accepted that some of the records contained references to sensitive sources and methods used by the intelligence community and law enforcement and that declassification could harm American foreign policy interests.

But after having the scope of the redactions presented to him, Trump told aides he did not believe them to be in the spirit of the law.

On Thursday, Trump's top aides presented him with an alternative to simply acquiescing to the agency requests: He could temporarily allow the redactions while ordering the agencies to launch a new comprehensive examination of the records still withheld or redacted in part.

Trump accepted the suggestion, ordering that agencies be "extremely circumspect" about keeping the remaining documents secret at the end of the 180-day assessment.

The tale of the final hours before the congressionally mandated 25-year release deadline adds a new chapter to the story of Trump's troubled relationship with his spy agencies.

Between the time Trump was elected in November 2016 and took office in January, he slammed the CIA for concluding Russia hacked Democratic Party emails to help him win the White House over Democrat Hillary Clinton.

And Trump has been critical of how the FBI handled the investigation into then-Secretary of Clinton’s private email servers -- to the point of firing Director James Comey.

Since taking office, Trump also has moved to exert more control over U.S. spying agencies and accused his predecessor of using government spycraft to monitor his campaign. In the JFK files matter, one White House official said, Trump wanted to make clear he wouldn't be bullied by the agencies.

Under a 1992 law, all of the records related to the assassination were to be made public unless explicitly withheld by the president.

http://www.foxnews.com/politic...roups-mistrusts.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Report This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Fucking Mueller: Indictments with arrest coming Monday.

Want to bet who and which party?

Mueller is in desperate need of some wet work attention.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Report This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
It seems like the constant stream of leaks coming from someone in the White House has completely stopped. I wonder what happened?

Kelly happened.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:

Kelly happened.

CORRECT!!!

Posts: 6619 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Report This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Fucking Mueller: Indictments with arrest coming Monday.

Want to bet who and which party?

Mueller is in desperate need of some wet work attention.

RMD

With mounting pressure on his investigation he is desperate. He must be feeling the pressure and needs to do something other than wasting time and money. Some poor copy clerk or low level underling is about to be tossed under the bus.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Report This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Kelly happened.

CORRECT!!!

Heheh yup. It didn't take long for the General to have the cabinet and staff walking "to the left, abreast, and in step" with Trump, giving the propper greeting of the day, and maybe even carrying their ID card in their left breast pocket Smile

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.nbcnews.com/politi...-resignation-n815331

Dana Boente, one of the nation's most high-profile federal prosecutors, has submitted his resignation after he was asked to step down to make way for a successor to be named by President Donald Trump.

One of the few remaining Obama administration holdovers, Boente will continue to serve until a replacement is nominated and confirmed.

He is the U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia, handling cases from the state capital in Richmond north to suburban Washington. Based in Alexandria, Virginia, the office is one of the nation's largest, with prosecutors specializing in intelligence and terrorism cases.

The district includes the Pentagon, the CIA and Naval Station Norfolk, the world's biggest U.S. Navy base.

Boente, who has served in the Justice Department for three decades, became the U.S. attorney in 2015 during the Obama administration. A well-regarded veteran prosecutor, he became acting attorney general in January after Trump fired Sally Yates, who refused to enforce the first executive order restricting travel.

He served briefly as acting deputy attorney general, and more recently, as the acting assistant attorney general in charge of the Justice Department's National Security Division.

In his acting capacity at the Justice Department, it was Boente who had the task of notifying the nation's U.S. attorneys in March that they must submit their resignations.

During all those interim assignments, he continued to be the U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia.

On Wednesday, Boente was notified by the chief of staff to Attorney General Jeff Sessions that he should submit his letter of resignation, so that the political process for naming a successor could begin.

Virginia's two Democratic senators, Tim Kaine and Mark Warner, will recommend nominees for the U.S. attorney position. John Demers, a former Justice Department lawyer in the George W. Bush administration, was nominated in September for the national security position and awaits confirmation proceedings

posted Hide Post

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Report This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
An anthropologist's column in the Kansas City Star, in which he points out pretty accurately why rural America loves Trump: LINK

quote:
They’re Trump-strong in rural Iowa — and not changing their minds
BY ROBERT LEONARD
Special to The Star
OCTOBER 27, 2017 2:05 PM
PELLA, IOWA

I’m a political junkie. Every day I read The Washington Post and The New York Times, among other media giants, with great interest and appreciation. I understand and value the great writing, thoughtful analysis, logic and reasoning. And the fact checking. Especially the fact checking.

Given that I live in Iowa, The Des Moines Register, The Chicago Tribune and The Kansas City Star are among my favorites as well. I also try to catch a variety of broadcast news organizations over the course of the evening. Being ADD, Twitter presents an endless buffet of delightful and distracting news commentary and stories.

I’m learning that President Donald Trump continues to offend, make missteps, court World War III and faces isolation in the face of the worst presidential polling in history. That he faces possible impeachment, or removal from office when his cabinet invokes Section 25 of the Constitution. I learn that the Republican Party is in disarray and may never recover. In this chaos commentators are speculating just how many Democrats will gain seats in the House and Senate and if it will be enough to take over one or both bodies of Congress in 2018. Possible Democratic candidates for president are being vetted for 2020.

This is delusional.

Here in conservative rural America, Trump is ascendant.

I was loafing in a booth at the coffee shop Saturday morning, and my friend Mark said something like, “Hey Bob, if you want to understand why rural conservatives like Trump, watch the speech he gave at the Values Voters Summit.”

I replied, “Just tell me why,” not wanting to tell Mark I can hardly stand to watch or listen to Trump, I despise him so. I thought, how perfectly ironic and hypocritical of the religious right to have a man without honor or dignity preach about “values.”

“No, you have to watch it first. Then we’ll talk,” he said.

I tried to remember what I had read about the speech. The only thing I could recall was that Trump had made either a mistake, or misspoke and had referred to the Governor of Puerto as the president. The media had been all over the gaffe. What a clown, a buffoon Trump is! More evidence of his ignorance, his lack of preparation, basic courtesy, and more proof of how unfit he is for office. While certainly more was reported on his speech, that is what I remembered.

While I couldn’t bring myself to actually watch Trump give his speech, I read the transcript as provided by the White House.

Looking only at the written word, and putting Trump’s arrogant off-script comments aside, it was a beautiful speech. Powerful. Inspirational. Brilliant even.

That’s not what I took from the reporting — which may well be the fault of my selective reading and viewing — but if President Barack Obama had given a similar speech I know much of the media would have lauded it, leaving me with a completely different perspective of the speech, and likely of the man.

Doing my best to understand how my conservative friends might read Trump’s speech, I read it again. Only this time, I contrasted Trump’s messaging with how rural conservatives often view Democratic messaging. Here goes.

Trump began by saying we are a nation of believers and that “together we are strengthened and sustained by the power of prayer.” Democrats want prayer out of the public sphere.

Trump called the Las Vegas shooting a “horrific mass murder” and an “act of pure evil.” Democrats blame the guns and want to take yours away.

Trump honored the heroes of Las Vegas, including the police officers and other first responders. Democrats elevate thugs and view our protectors in blue with disdain.

Trump quotes scripture. Democrats ridicule those who do.

Trump stresses unity. Democrats divide American society into victims and oppressors.

Trump says, “We love our country.” Obama went on an international apology tour.

Trump says, “We cherish the sacred dignity of every human life.” Democrats murder babies.

Trump says, “We believe in strong families.” Democratic policies pull them apart.

Trump says, “We are proud of our history.” Democrats tear down monuments.

Trump says, “We respect our great American flag.” Democrats take a knee.

I could go on. There’s much, much more in Trump’s speech that’s fodder for conservative thought.

So, big media, keep up the great writing, thoughtful analysis, logic and reasoning. And fact checking. But, remember here in Trumplandia, you won’t change any minds. The cultural fissure is too deep, and relates to fundamentally different worldviews with respect to freedom and the nature of man.

Given so, Trump’s sinking poll numbers are irrelevant. My conservative friends will vote for a fence post before they vote for a Democrat.

Keep preaching to the choir, coastal media elites. Continue to predict the downfall of Trump in 2020 if not before, and great victories for Democrats in congressional races in 2018, and we’ll see if it works. That’s my hope. I fear, however, such stories will only lead to complacency among the Democratic electorate.

My conservative friends remain “Trump-strong.” And remember, we in the hinterland have the Electoral College by the throat.

I’ll be seeing my friend Mark again soon. I’m not looking forward to it.

Robert Leonard is an anthropologist and hosts a public affairs program for KNIA/KRLS radio in Knoxville/Pella, Iowa.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Report This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
So Manifort and Gates are first out of the "indictment" gate open by Rosenstein/Mueller. Let's hope the Podestas are next.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^Yup, the lefties think Manafort's arrest will lead to Trump, when it will actually lead to the Podestas, and hopefully Hillary .

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5160 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Report This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
So Manifort and Gates are first out of the "indictment" gate open by Rosenstein/Mueller. Let's hope the Podestas are next.

RMD

You guys crack me up.

AGAIN, Mueller isn’t going after any Democrats, especially ones associated with Hillary Clinton.

Posts: 33810 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Re: "They’re Trump-strong in rural Iowa — and not changing their minds"

Good post, Sap.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Report This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
I recently posted an article from the Wall Street Journal which explains why (to me) why President Trump cut funding for Obamacare's Cost Sharing Reductions (CSR) in another topic on SIGforum, but it seems like the article belongs here too since I find what he did to be a good idea given that we're stuck with Obamacare.

With the CSRs cut, health insurance premiums on the exchanges will be going up, but the premium subsidies will increase too. As a result, a lot more insurance exchange customers will be offered health insurance coverage with no monthly premiums. Assuming that they are aware of this, a lot more people who are eligible for the exchanges (self-employed or work at small businesses which do not offer insurance benefits) should be signing up for insurance coverage, assuming that they are aware of "no monthly premium" health insurance. This won't fix Obamacare or the healthcare system mess, but it should attract more people to the insurance exchanges. Again given that Obamacare doesn't seem to be going away, it would look good for President Trump to get more people insurance coverage than Obama did.

More ACA Plans to Come With No Premiums in 2018 - Trump indirectly bolstered the federal subsidies that help consumers with their insurance premiums

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

RMD

You guys crack me up.

AGAIN, Mueller isn’t going after any Democrats, especially ones associated with Hillary Clinton.

I sure wish I could see the future like you can...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Have any of the forum legal scholars read the details on George Papadopoulos' charges and plea ?

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Report This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
What???

quote:
JUST IN: Court Blocks Trump’s Military Transgender Ban
ByAmanda Prestigiacomo @amandapresto October 30, 2017 views
2 minutes

A federal court has temporarily blocked President Donald Trump's United States military transgender policy announced in July, says a report from The Hill. The block comes "as a case against his ban works its way through court":

A judge in the U.S. district court for D.C. ruled Monday that Trump's directive changing the transgender policy back to what it was before June 2016 and banning new transgender recruits from enlisting cannot be enforced while the case is being reviewed in court.

The judge also blocked the Trump Administration's move to ban taxpayer-funded gender reassignment surgeries.

Trump made his bold announcement to reverse the Obama Administration transgender directive on July 26, unsurprisingly, via Twitter.

"​After consultation with my Generals and military experts, please be advised that the United States Government will not accept or allow transgender individuals to serve in any capacity in the U.S. Military," wrote Trump. "Our military must be focused on decisive and overwhelming victory and cannot be burdened with the tremendous medical costs and disruption that transgender in the military would entail. Thank you."

Prior to Obama's directive, the military excluded individuals who suffer from psychological disorders like gender dysphoria. Trump's new transgender policy would simply restore this longstanding ban.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/...m_campaign=mattwalsh

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Report This Post