SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Body armor for private citizens
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 13

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Body armor for private citizens Login/Join 
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I was going to order online. And I shouldnt have to measure them, they are marked medium.

There isnt a way to know which carriers fit ceramic plates?

Posts: 7399 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Measure the plates and then see if the carrier specifications indicate whether they will fit. Plates tend to be manufactured in standard sizes.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
By medium that could be medium SAPI. However, most carriers say what size plates they take in inches. 10x12 being the most common. It is worth it to measure just to be sure.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Report This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
$299 w/ballistic plate pockets, ballistic plates are $169

http://www.bulletsafe.com/

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Are there any updates from anyone who has bought from the vendors listed in this thread?

Any known black friday or other upcoming deals?

"Modern medicine exists to defeat Darwinism" - Anonymous 18D

Posts: 711 | Location: Land of Scarlet and Gray | Registered: October 01, 2009Report This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
Go on

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Report This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I used to wear a IIIA vest when I worked for Jackson County. I haven't had to wear one in a long time but times being what they are I've been thinking along these lines. https://uspalm.com/product-category/armor/
I know a member here who fashioned a briefcase with armor. I've even considered getting IIA or IIIA panel and putting it in a backpack where the camelback usually goes. Certainly better than nothing.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Report This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
http://www.man-pack.com/shop/bulletproof.html

I have the white board in the backpack I travel with and the clipboard in my briefcase. Now, I did replace their clip with a low profile compact one.

[I am in no way associated with USCCA]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQkq8Ke5Hgk

https://www.usconcealedcarry.c...of-battle-continues/

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Report This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
bump

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2495 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I still need to get mine. Just getting soft, no plates.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I have two carriers - a Reliance armor and a Point Blank

In my opinion because of heat and humidity the plates have probably expired and I should get them replaced

The Reliance carrier seems to provide a bit better side coverage, but the Point Blank is definitely more comfortable to wear.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53183 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
A timely bump

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107597 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
A timely bump

I was thinking about this today.
I mentioned this to the wife back in early 2016. She suggested we look at helmets too.....I love that girl.....
It's coming, just a question of how soon....

Posts: 1224 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Report This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
AR500 had a 4th of july sale and i snagged a couple packages. One for the car and one for the house. Got the level 3+ lightweight plates.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Report This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
A timely bump

What did you end up getting?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnV:
AR500 had a 4th of july sale and i snagged a couple packages. One for the car and one for the house. Got the level 3+ lightweight plates.

How much does each plate weigh?

I have their old old steel plates and it's heavy.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

What plate carrier did you buy from them?

I've looked into AR500 and have been getting mixed feedback - some say get the level 4 ceramics as steel is too heavy?

10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hk91308:
I've looked into AR500 and have been getting mixed feedback - some say get the level 4 ceramics as steel is too heavy?

I bought the steel plates. They are heavy. But I'm a shelter in place kind of guy, so running around isn't part of the plan. Steel is cheaper and never expires.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Report This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:

The question in my eye is why are you getting the armor and what are you doing with it? If it's an employment issue then lighter is better. From experience I can say that even the lightest stuff is heavy. If it's home protection/disaster prep then steel may be a better choice. It's much cheaper and there are no storage or handling issues.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Report This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phelen_Kell:
quote:

How much does each plate weigh?

I have their old old steel plates and it's heavy.[/QUOTE

Well, theres no getting around that. It is steel. But these plates are 1.5lbs lighter than the Level III+ plates. So 3 pounds lighter per carrier...which is significant.

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JohnV:

What plate carrier did you buy from them?

I got their Sentry Plate Carrier and the Testudo Plate Carrier. Both made by Condor but passes AR500's specs. I probably like the Sentry better because it fits me better. The Testudo is pretty big and i'm not sure i'm able to adjust it tight enough in the shoulder straps to get the plates at the right level. I need to keep playing around with it though.

Level 4 Ceramics are still heavy. They are 7.5 lbs, which is 1 pound heavier than the level 3+ lightweight. The level 4's are also significantly thicker/bulkier. But they do offer a better level of protection if thats what you are going for.

At any rate, whatever you get, at least get the anti spawl coating on the front plate.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Report This Post