SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Body armor for private citizens
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Body armor for private citizens Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have been contemplating this myself. It seems firefighters are next in line to be attacked and my dept. has bought several, enough for four stations/personnel. This is getting to be a crazy place we are living in.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Report This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
I currently am using a IIA vest from Point Blank (http://www.pointblankenterprises.com/pointblankbodyarmor/?product=hilite-male) and this carrier (http://www.pointblankenterprises.com/pointblankbodyarmor/?product=guardian-front-opening-vest). The ballistics are better than the previous IIIA vests that I've worn in the past, but this one is a bit more flexible. I'm now considering using these for inserts for the vest. They are a bit expensive, but they shouldn't degrade and will last a long time.

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Report This Post
Picture of Eamonn Wright
posted Hide Post
Saw this article today, thought it was relevant to the discussion.

AR500 Armor recall

"The government is best which governs least."- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6562 | Location: Massachusetts, USA | Registered: December 01, 2002Report This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
"...up near Bowling Green that would be our first choice to bugout to. 2 story structure surrounded by A LOT of flat land for miles... "

Ah, The Black Swamp! And nothing to stop the wind, either!

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually just North of Fostoria. Bowling Green was thrown out there because more people would recognize that due to its location near I-75 and the university.

So, I think I may abandon the Banshee and am looking more seriously at the SKD PIG carrier. There are some negative reviews online about the Banshee being excellent 3+ years ago, but the quality slipping drastically in the past year or 2. Can anyone dispel this and comment on the current quality of the Banshee?

Is there anyone who can comment on the SKD PIG carrier quality and it ability to adjust to various sizes comfortably? I have purchased from SKD before and they were a delight to buy from (bought from them when they had the OBL is Dead "SUCKIT" sale).

The "Boz"

Posts: 1532 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Report This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I used the Paraclete SOHPC with LV ceramic plates front and back and Lv III side plates.

http://www.skdtac.com/Paraclet...D-Spec-p/par.106.htm

Fits higher than most but comfy

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I know this wasn't your intention but- I'd send a C-Note to help get the best and would look forward to your review.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: braillediver,

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Another option to consider is a backpack with a plate in it. Carry it around, then if you need it, you can leave it on your back, swing it around to the front, or pass to a loved one / child if needed.

recovering ammoholic
Picture of jaybird86
posted Hide Post
My order of the Highcom Lvl4 plates on page 1 just arrived tonight. I will pick them up tomorrow and do a quick picture review for everyone on Sunday or Monday Smile

---------------------------------
How's your cardio?
Nature, alas, made only one being out of you although there was material for a good man and a rogue.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 1014 | Location: Overrun in Northern VA | Registered: January 01, 2014Report This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Another option to consider is a backpack with a plate in it. Carry it around, then if you need it, you can leave it on your back, swing it around to the front, or pass to a loved one / child if needed.

AR500 carries these, I picked one up. It took 3 months to get it but IF it performs as promised I see it as a great comprise.

It is in our MB closet and the bag is full of mags and BOKs.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Report This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
FYI if anybody's interested, SKD is running a group buy opportunity right now through ARFCOM. Paraclete carrier and a pair of level IV ceramic plates, for $399. It seems to be filling up fast.

Link

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
I know this wasn't your intention but- I'd send a C-Note to help get the best and would look forward to your review.
Sorry, I missed this earlier. I assume you're speaking to me. This is a very generous offer and I appreciate it but I'm going to decline.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
$299 bullet proof vests. Just saw this article in today's Detroit Free Press.

http://www.freep.com/story/new...ests-sales/87606930/

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
So if a fella decides to go ahead with a vest and drops $700.00 for what seems to be a good one,
What can he expect regarding longevity ?

3 years wearing it for four hours , three times a week ?

5 years wearing it for five hours three times per week ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54647 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Soft armor typically has a 5 year expiration date. They will still provide some protection for much longer than that, but the Kevlar fibers start to degrade with the heat and moisture of use over time, and therefore so does the performance.

Hard armor last indefinitely. However, with ceramic plates specifically, they're supposed to be inspected and X-rayed every year or so, to ensure that they haven't developed fractures that will degrade their protection.

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
So if a fella decides to go ahead with a vest and drops $700.00 for what seems to be a good one,

LE wears their vests for 8-10 hour shifts for years. Care and storage can affect armors lifespan.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread is interesting...we all have some degree of firepower, but I would guess the majority of us civilians don't have BA for HD, (like me).

I could see it would be worn occasionally, but pretty much kept under or beside the bed ready to put on if and when something were to happen, that sound about right? Guess my wife will have to get used to seeing me in BA in my underwear (egads...but you have to practice right?). I think I can already hear her saying...why do you have to put that thing on every night before going to bed? Razz My answer would be: to make sure it fits right!

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Report This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
bump...

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2495 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Report This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

LE wears their vests for 8-10 hour shifts for years. Care and storage can affect armors lifespan.

Try 12- 14 hours, in 100+ degrees, right now. Some weeks 6+ days straight.

I'm not Marine Infantry in Afghanistan, but it still sucks ass. Takes attention to detail to not develop unmanageable vest funk.

I just got an ultra thin wool undershirt to try, as my fancy stretchy shirts smell like vinegar ass 45 minutes into into my shift at 100 degrees and 100% humidity.

As mentioned, manufacturers recommendation is 5 years. I've read and watched lots about 5+ year vests being shot in tests, don't remember any of them failing.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Report This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Ballistic helmets for the noggin. After all it's where you keep the u in you.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Report This Post