SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Body armor for private citizens
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 13

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Body armor for private citizens Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the valued feedback and insights everyone,

I was looking at the Operator or Warrior carriers as I want side protection.

My use would be for home protection and for SHTF scenarios where I can carry rifle mags and any load outs on the carrier as needed.

Base on your insights, I think III+ lightweight plates would suffice as I do want to keep the weight down as much as possible.

posted Hide Post
I have worn levels II and IIIA. I hated them both, but the II would be my preference. It's going to stop most pistol rounds with no problem.

My thinking is this.... the threats nowadays from civil unrest, BLM type terrorists, and ISIS types are able to get rifles easy enough. Ambushes against Law Enforcement almost always involve rifles. Soft body armor becomes more of a hindrance in those circumstances due to added weight, limited range of motion, and making heavy breathing more difficult. Plates are just out of the question for average beat cops and civilians. Soft body armor is kinda like a seat belt in a 100mph crash in those circumstances, it might make you feel good but does absolutely nothing to help you.

My department switched from II to IIIA about six years ago. A II with a supplemental 8x10 trauma plate is plenty for LEO on patrol. I wouldn't wear my vest off duty for any reason it becomes more of a hindrance for the reasons I listed above. It would be FAR more beneficial to sharpen your situational awareness and get sub 1 second draw and fire times.

Just my opinion based on my experiences.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Report This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Doesn't the "A" in III-A stand for "Anemic"?

j/k

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Report This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I just wear a Safariland IIIA soft vest I found on eBay. It is probably time to replace it. It has a trauma plate within, soft panel, for a knife barrier. I wear it on each patrol and very occasionally on opening day when it sounds like a war zone in the woods.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Report This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Reviewing the recommendations again, and keeping this thread alive.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I mostly followed this. I wear a IIIa vest anytime I play range officer at club pistol matches or go anywhere I'm concerned in the big city. I find it completely tolerable (mine is a point blank) and don't mind it at all in any weather or activity. But its pistol rounds. I'd never consider L2 or L3 as its simply not any real advantage and you give up a lot on ballistics. I'm a firefighter and I have a full set of IV ceramic plates with carrier in my response bag and I put those one when circumstances dictate. Those are really tough to handle for any serious activities but I can't see any downside at home. If I have concerns about investigating something I just sling the carrier on and go.
I do get mine Xrayed once in awhile but steel is so much heavier that's worth it.
FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Report This Post
Picture of ACTEG
posted Hide Post
I've got AR500 plates in a condor carrier. So far it's main use has been extra weight when doing pull ups. Hope to keep it that way.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
I just wear a Safariland IIIA soft vest I found on eBay...

I wear it on each patrol and very occasionally on opening day when it sounds like a war zone in the woods.

Keep in mind that a IIIA vest will not stop a rifle round. So it won't do much good when some liquored-up Fudd on opening day mistakes you for Bambi. Wink

Posts: 32514 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Reviving this thread to solicit feedback from our members who have purchased from any of the vendors listed. I see where some no longer seem to have web sites, and others no longer have the referenced products available. Any good first hand knowledge of soft armor, whether it be II or IIIa? Thanks.

Posts: 1627 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Report This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
FYI -
To the folks who are buying the steel plates, if they're simply the wrinkle painted plates they offer zero Spall / Frag protection to the wearer.
The Line-X coated ones do but if shot near the edge they also won't stop all the Frag / Spall.

AR500.com (who sells the Line-X coated plates) also offers a Spall / Frag liner that wraps the plates to stop any Spall or Fram from causing secondary wounds to the wearer.

I was just informed that they're back in stock after almost a year of being out of stock.

https://www.ar500armor.com/ar5...and-frag-shield.html

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Report This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I use a 5.11 plate carrier for working out. Then my son started using it, so I bought him one for Christmas.

I wanted contoured plates, since the plates I had were flat, so I bought some contoured CATI Level III plates. My main concern, was since we use these for working out, I wanted an identical weight as the steel plates. So I bought a pair, and my son and I both wear them in the front of the vest. The back plates are just steel plates.

They were on sale, something like $85 for the pair. Supposed to stop up to a .308. And I usually have it in my car, since it gets covered in sweat, and needs to dry out. It weighs 20lbs, but you really don't notice it. I wear it around the house, just because, well, I don't know.

Will I ever need it? I really hope not. But how many 15y/o kids can tell their friends they have a bullet proof vest? I saw a video of a guy shoot 50 slugs from a 12 gauge, and it held up. Yes, a faster moving bullet hitting it multiple times will cause failure.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Report This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I have an XL sized condor plate carrier with contoured III++ AR500 coated plates front and rear (11x14), and soft side plates. Some fancy useful stuff attached to it (including a blow out kit). It travels in my truck with me every time I leave town. Times are crazy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Report This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
so Para - did you ever make a decision?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
RMA has Lev. 4 plates on special. Its actually $20.00 cheaper if you order separately though.

ARMOUR CHART

https://rmadefense.com/the-armor/

https://rmadefense.com/product...w-model-1155-plates/

https://rmadefense.com/product...late-model-1155-set/

https://rmadefense.com/product...rator-plate-carrier/

Oh under clothing was it. Well they do offer IIIA (1.47# plate) & IIIA+ (2.53# plate) as well (see chart).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rpm2010,

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Report This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
For those looking at hard armor, a few things to consider. This is coming from someone who started with steel plates.

Full coat AR500 plates are great for those on a budget. You can usually get a pair of Level 3 plates for the price of a single plate with a higher rating. The question is now are you comfortable using them alone without a spall sleeve, as Grumpy Biker addressed above. Regarding spalling, one quote that stuck with me is "There is no tourniquet for the neck". I bought a spall sleeve for my front plate, and the combination barely fit in the carrier. Not a cheap carrier either, it's a Mayflower low pro.

Unncomfortable with the possibility of the front plate coming loose, the total weight and with a better budget, I replaced the steel with Hesco 4400 ceramic composite Level 4 plates. Thicker than stand alone steel, but higher rating and no need for a spall sleeve. Also fits in the carrier securely.

Weight difference is 19.4# for a pair of steel versus 14.4# for composites. The trade off is cost, and how much weight you want to wear. If you're goal is a carrier for SHTF, that 5# difference is a few magazines, but the weight savings will be paid out of pocket up front.

Look at individual manufacturers descriptions regarding "plate cut". Look up and compare pics. The particular brand steels I started with were advertised as "shooters cut", which was close to "SAPI cut". They were unforgiving when shouldering a rifle. Either find the sweet spot, or place the butt over the chest. The Hesco "swimmers cut" have a bit less coverage but are much easier to quickly shoulder with a good sight picture.

Sheesh, gotta get some sleep. Hope this is informative for someone!

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Report This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Just so you know your post wasn't in vain, it was VERY helpful for me. Thanks for sacrificing your sleep to post! Smile My primary interest in personal body armor is for the day the SHTF. And that would probably be the day Civil War Part Deux starts or Texas falls to the Libtards or is invaded by Mexico. Well...I guess it already has been invaded...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
My go-to site: https://www.spartanarmorsystems.com/

I'm sure I posted it early in the thread as well. They have a wide range of options from low cost ~$50/plate unfinished steel to lightweight high end composites. They have frequent sale pricing, LE/Mil discount and shipping is included.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple thoughts on this that may be helpful. If you are getting soft body armor and plan to wear it regularly it's important to get your correct measurememts. The crucial areas are where the armor wraps around your kidney area. You have to decide if you want overlap in the panels. With overlap you get full protection but it makes the armor much thicker and bulkier where it overlaps. Its more common to have it fit so the panels just touch but this requires a proper measurement. The other measurement will be the length. You want it as long as possible but don't want the armor to bend when you sit. That would make it uncomfortable.

In way soft armor sort of breaks in. Well not really but it will soften a bit with use and conform to your body better.

Most Kevlar vests have a 5 year lifespan. Keep in my mind this is a worst case scenario for cops in the south that wear it 40 hours a week. For non law enforcement use i wouldnt expect it to ever wear out. Even then i think the manufacturers keep a 5 year life as a way of getting departments to regularly replace an expensive item.

Wearing a moisture wicking shirt under armor makes a huge difference. Cotton will become soaked amd feels like burlap.

It's important to wear soft or hard armor correctly. You want the top of the armor to rest right at the bottom of your clavicle notch. The back panel should match this height. Most common problem is wearing the armor too low. You are trying to protect the vital arteries coming off the top of your heart and lungs.

Lastly if you are in a situation where you feel armor is necessary i would also carry some type of tourniquet. If you are wearing armor it means in some way there is an expectation that you may get shot. The tq can provide first aid for the rest of your non armored body.

Posts: 538 | Location: Washington | Registered: January 29, 2003Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IHooah:
If you are getting soft body armor and plan to wear it regularly it's important to get your correct measurememts. The crucial areas are where the armor wraps around your kidney area. You have to decide if you want overlap in the panels. With overlap you get full protection but it makes the armor much thicker and bulkier where it overlaps. Its more common to have it fit so the panels just touch but this requires a proper measurement.

1" overlap is the norm in law enforcement soft armor.

quote:

Wearing a moisture wicking shirt under armor makes a huge difference. Cotton will become soaked amd feels like burlap.

Agreed. I wear Under Armor. (Literally.) Pricey, but worth it.

quote:
It's important to wear soft or hard armor correctly. You want the top of the armor to rest right at the bottom of your clavicle notch. The back panel should match this height.

Soft armor is typically measured to fit from the roughly the sternum to the navel. Any longer and when you sit down, the bottom of the vest hits your belt and the top of the vest jabs into your throat.

Posts: 32514 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
The protection should meet and exceed the threat.

Posts: 1964 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Report This Post