SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tucker Carlson - I can't watch his program anymore
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tucker Carlson - I can't watch his program anymore Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
And if he really has anywhere near 420 million dollars then what the Hell is he doing? Just how much money does one need to live however they wish, go wherever they want, buy whatever they want? Life is short.

Big money, FU money, changes people.
It changed Rush too, as much as he tried not to act like it.

In 1926, F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote that the rich “are different from you and me,” and Ernest Hemingway supposedly retorted, “Yes, they have more money.”

After his wife had to hide in a closet when people were trying to break into his house, he sold his Washington, DC home and does his show mostly from a remote Maine location. He also has a home on Gasparilla Island in Florida.

BTW, I don't think Tucker has 420 million dollars, but he does have at least 100 million dollars, and at that point... well, it's still FU money.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chellim1,

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I think Kennedy is on at the same time on Fox Business. I'll take her.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I saw this thread yesterday and had to take some time to think about what para said. I’m generally in agreement. I really thought that at the height of the pandemic, Tucker was no-miss-tv. His opening monologue then covered aspects of the pandemic that weren’t found elsewhere. We know that he and his guests were spot-on with their take, and the discussion of active suppression of any view contrary to government orthodoxy.

I still, most days, tune in to hear the opening monologue. Some days it’s worth hearing, some days it’s not, and it doesn’t take long to decide. My wife barely tolerates him. One post in this thread brought up Rush Limbaugh; I still miss him too. BTW, we watch none of the other prime time FOX News programming. We’ll turn on Varney in te morning to get an idea of what the market is doing, most often with the sound turned down.

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Fox and MSNBC have gotten into the business of selling outrage. CNN is the same, but they are going through a slow restructuring with the plan to be the old CNN. Networks know viewers come for the outrage, not the news. We have spent the last two decades really pushing an Us vs Them mentality that any one advocating bipartisanship is ignored and politicians that promise an 'our way or the highway' get elected and put in leadership slots.

I get that news is boring. I do miss the old days of one or two people behind a desk telling me facts and the occasional live update from guy in the field. But I seriously doubt American media will be back there anytime soon. Plus that style of news was always a money pit for the networks.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
I don't watch FOX hardly at all, anymore, but I think he is being throttled back because of Ryan and Murdoch, so he's just going through the motions until they find a reason to get rid of him

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 2012 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still watch Tucker, mostly just the opening monologue. I get tired of the over the top laughter, though. I actually tend to watch more of Jesse's shows these day, as he has some interesting guests and no crazy giggling. Back a few years ago I liked going over to Lou Dobbs' show on Fox Business during these time slots.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5158 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Who cares how much money he has? No one at the top of the TV news/talkshow biz does it for the money. They were financially secure long before they got there. Getting fired tomorrow wouldn't mean any of them miss a meal or a mortgage payment or have the slightest change in lifestyle. Some people love what they do. I know I never want to retire and I actually feel a little bored and guilty when I don't go out an earn.

You can't blame TC for the MSM and law enforcement ignoring stories he brings to light or tries to keep in the news. I don't watch him very much, but I doubt he's ever promised something he uncovered would lead to prosecutions. Anything he talks about is a million times more interesting than the women-led gabfests shown in the morning hours.

Posts: 3522 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Rarely watch him or much TV news anymore and it is a shame, used to watch Cronkite, Rather et al as a kid.

Imagine some of the "interviews" which really are mini monologues from a guest not really interviews in the normal sense due to time constraints, advertising slots, time for other guests, so you just get short segments.

Then again haven't watched his show in 6 months probably, maybe longer.

Hannity is famous for similar actions, his interviews are more of him interrupting the guest, bloviating about his knowledge, then cutting it short, part of why I turned him off.

If you like interviews where both sides have a conversation, podcasts like Joe Rogan are still of that type with both sides getting to speak.

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you like interviews where both sides have a conversation, podcasts like Joe Rogan are still of that type with both sides getting to speak.

Tucker does do longer form interviews as well, but they are on that streaming FOX service which is an additional monthly subscription so I don't get it.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Who cares how much money he has?
The point I made is valid. And in answer to your question, they care about the money, and don't fool yourself by thinking otherwise. You think they would do this for 39,000 a year?
quote:
No one at the top of the TV news/talkshow biz does it for the money.
You say this as if it's fact, but you do not know if this is true.
quote:
Some people love what they do.
Oh, yes, it's so clear from his recent weird demeanor that Tucker loves his job. Yeah, that's what we're seeing. Sure. He only looks like a burnout
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Tucker does do longer form interviews as well, but they are on that streaming FOX service which is an additional monthly subscription so I don't get it.
This means most people don't get to see any of that, and what he is giving us on Fox these days is shit. He brings people on so they can speak into the microphone while he scowls at them or the camera, thanks them without engaging them and then, they're gone. Just what is the point?

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
No, TC would not do this job for peanuts. He has an agent who gets a cut of the best deal he can negotiate with FNC. No serious agent would negotiate for the lowest deal for a client who commands big money. I listened to Rush off and on from the time I got my first car until his last day. I sure am glad he didn't quit once he got rich.

Posts: 3522 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing that is definitely different now on Tucker's show compared to his first couple of years is that he no longer has guests with opposing views. I used to really enjoy the libs coming on with their ridiculous arguments and Tucker countering them pretty much all the time. The latest one that I can recall is when he had Representative Maria Salazar, supposedly Republican, from Florida who was basically supporting giving illegal invaders amnesty.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5158 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
I listened to Rush off and on from the time I got my first car until his last day. I sure am glad he didn't quit once he got rich.
Rush Limbaugh gave his all, through drug addiction and illness. Tucker Carlson is not in the same class as Limbaugh and never will be. Limbaugh didn't turn into a burnout going through the motions, unlike Carlson.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, yes, it's so clear from his recent weird demeanor that Tucker loves his job. Yeah, that's what we're seeing. Sure. He only looks like a burnout

I don't disagree with your assessment that he has changed somewhat. But, at least for me, it hasn't become intolerable. I don't always agree, and sometimes he's over-the-top and into fantasy land, but he is thinking about things. The incessant laughing is annoying, but overall he's still interesting.

Bill O'Reilly had the #1 show on cable television until one day he was gone. He clearly thought he was invincible and wouldn't be touched. It was true, at least as long as he had Roger Ailes to protect him. But the allegations against him either became too numerous or FOX just decided that he was getting old and decided to act on them.

The point is, for whatever reason, Tucker will be gone one day too. Maybe sooner than later, if Para is correct.

-rduckwor

posted Hide Post
I find Tucker much more palatable on his Fox Nation one-on-one interviews. They are generally well done. Can’t stand him on regular Fox.

Posts: 767 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
I listened to Rush off and on from the time I got my first car until his last day. I sure am glad he didn't quit once he got rich.
Rush Limbaugh gave his all, through drug addiction and illness. Tucker Carlson is not in the same class as Limbaugh and never will be. Limbaugh didn't turn into a burnout going through the motions, unlike Carlson.

I was listening to a show on the radio last night coming back from the store, the host commented exactly that, Rush never gave in and compromised, and it's been 2 years since he passed on Feb 17, 2021.

Sure miss him, was a breath of sanity in an insane world.

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Not crazy about him either, not so much on his positions but his onscreen persona can get to you especially the fake laugh.
Say what you will about Bill O'Reilly - his shows were the best and yes I agree he is an arrogant asshole.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
But how are his ratings holding up? Without eyeballs, he won't last long.

I would invite everyone to read the following, which is still as relevant today as when it was first said:

quote:
When television is good, nothing—not the theater, not the magazines or newspapers—nothing is better. But when television is bad, nothing is worse.

I invite each of you to sit down in front of your own television set when your station goes on the air and stay there, for a day, without a book, without a magazine, without a newspaper, without a profit and loss sheet or a rating book to distract you. Keep your eyes glued to that set until the station signs off.

I can assure you that what you will observe is a vast wasteland.

You will see a procession of game shows, formula comedies about totally unbelievable families, blood and thunder, mayhem, violence, sadism, murder, western bad men, western good men, private eyes, gangsters, more violence, and cartoons. And endlessly, commercials—many screaming, cajoling, and offending. And most of all, boredom. True, you'll see a few things you will enjoy. But they will be very, very few. And if you think I exaggerate, I only ask you to try it.

--FCC Chairman Newton N. Minow, address to the National Association of Broadcasters, Washington, D.C., May 9, 1961.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'm certain his ratings are fine.

As to Minow's oft-quoted statement about a vast wasteland- it's actually less true today than it was when he made it. In 1961, television was little more than an infant and the programming was nothing like it is today. What I mean to say is that amidst all the crap, there are some excellent programs, worthy of your time. Many of these programs are, ironically, available on PBS. There are some excellent TV series, many of them originating on HBO. There are superb, beautiful nature series, and Sir David Attenborough still hosts some of them. In 1961, television was a desert. In 2023, it's still a desert, but containing many oases.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I used to really appreciate the topics he would bring to light and his investigative nature. I can't say I ever watched him a lot, but enough to know he was clearly on our side saying the things we believe in.

Lately he's become stale and as para said, almost unlistenable with his quirky laugh and expressions. That I do not appreciate and as far as I'm concerned, lowers his value and his credibility. He's becoming a caricature.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38646 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post