SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I hope everyone in SE Texas is preparing for hurricane Harvey. It's looking like a cat 3 or 4 now.
Page 1 ... 20 21 22 23
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I hope everyone in SE Texas is preparing for hurricane Harvey. It's looking like a cat 3 or 4 now. Login/Join 
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
A half-million vehicles. Unreal.

I hope they take each one and scrap them. Would really hate to see shady dealers try to sell them, wash the titles into clean ones and sell them as clean titled cars.

I think the number is close to (or maybe even over) a million now.

My folks lost theirs. They're out looking for a Dodge Dakota now.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
A cousin of mine and her husband lost two vehicles.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
My Dad is retired from autobody, and in his opinion they should put them in the car crusher not scrap them out. Scrap yards will pull panels (e.g. quarter panel), doors, hoods, etc. off flooded cars and sell as used parts w/o disclosing they were submerged. Many insurance companies require using used parts, and what happens is the back side (i.e. the side the body shop doesn't paint) of the panel, lips of panels, etc. rusts out in 12 months.

Even worse, they'll sell off electrical components that have been submerged and your mechanic will be chasing electrical gremlins.

Absolutely agree, Todd!

I see potential for a lot of cheated consumers years from now.

Electrical gremlins were a reason why I got rid of my Corvette years ago. It was a 2003 Z06, loved the car, it was fun but constant electrical issues really pissed me off. Power windows would stop working, displays going, surges on the dash, HUD issues.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
So have the Houston waters receded?

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yeah we call them parking ramps up here.

seems like the would just offer them to people to park their cars in during the flooding

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54651 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
seems like the would just offer them to people to park their cars in during the flooding

[quote]yeah we call them parking ramps up here.

They do for a fee. They advise not parking in the ones underground. LOL

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
In my area of town southeast of me, I drove southbound on Jones Rd. between Louetta and Grant yesterday. The devastation down the side roads/neighborhoods is flabbergasting. I couldn't believe my eyes at the sight of furniture, cabinets, sheet rock, etc. piled high on the curb of EVERY house down those side roads. It's really unbelievable and extremely sad to see what people are going through in my area. I can't even imagine what the large-scale effect has been in the more central parts of Houston.

But this city is resilient and will bounce back!! I'm proud to be a Texan and a Houstonian!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
It is mind boggling to think of the volume of refuse to be disposed of in a situation like this. All of the sheetrock, insulation, furnishings and appliances from many thousands of homes has to be buried in a hole or holes somewhere. Where will they put it?

Posts: 26914 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is mind boggling to think of the volume of refuse to be disposed of in a situation like this. All of the sheetrock, insulation, furnishings and appliances from many thousands of homes has to be buried in a hole or holes somewhere. Where will they put it?

West Texas sounds good to me. It is a major endeavor. Many of the landfills here filled up quickly. A lot of it was burned. Some does get recycled, but that is typically expensive and takes longer. The debris pile in front of my house after Katrina was removed three months later with heavy equipment. Had to wet down the pile to keep it from igniting. Our roads were pretty much toast because of all the heavy equipment traffic.

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Can they make fake reefs out of the stuff? I imagine the appliances might all go for scrap.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can they make fake reefs out of the stuff?

They use the broken concrete for reefs. The other stuff not so much. Lots of contaminants. They did sink a number of Liberty ships in the GOM after they got rid of the contaminants. Great fishing in those areas.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Can they make fake reefs out of the stuff?

Not on purpose with all the contaminents and such in a car. The rusted heap will just collapse and isn't good for an artificial reef.

That said I saw a huge octopus living in the rear wheel well of a wrecked car off the Seattle waterfront. He didn't care.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13402 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
We needed this crew at the Alamo!

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
My uncle lives in Corpus and owns a road construction company. He's sent their crew over to Rockport all week, volunteering to help people with cleanup.

According to my uncle, he's been picking their "victims" by going to the Ace Hardware, and watching for people who are wanting to buy a chainsaw but looking lost and confused. He will then approach that person, tell them that's not needed, and offer the crew's help instead.

Here's a shot of their crew from earlier today.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
My uncle lives in Corpus and owns a road construction company. He's sent their crew over to Rockport all week, volunteering to help people with cleanup.

According to my uncle, he's been picking their "victims" by going to the Ace Hardware, and watching for people who are wanting to buy a chainsaw but looking lost and confused. He will then approach that person, tell them that's not needed, and offer the crew's help instead.

Here's a shot of their crew from earlier today.

God Bless Them

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

FOR BENDABLE LOOK HERE:

http://www.miamiherald.com/new...rticle172272092.html

Sneaky car dealer takes free Hurricane Irma garage spaces, city says
BY JULIE K. BROWN
jbrown@MiamiHerald.com

The city of Hollywood thought it was doing residents a good deed by opening its public parking garages for free as a public service to help people in low-lying areas prone to flooding.

It did not go over well when drivers showed up Friday at the garage at Polk Street and 19th Avenue in the city’s downtown and found the garage filled with cars with price tags and no license plates.

Apparently a sneaky car dealer filled the garage with more than 40 of the cars from his lot.

“The lot was designated for residents as a last resort for those who live on the beach and other areas subject to a storm surge — not for a local car dealer, said Hollywood spokeswoman Raelin Storey.

She said it is against the law to use public property for private gain, and all the vehicles have been ticketed. But as of Saturday morning, the city had not yet discovered the culprit responsible.

“We are investigating it, but we have had other priorities. We are taking it seriously,’’ she said.

As many of the cars as possible will be booted, she said, but the city has only so many boots available.

The city has three public garages, but they were all full by midday Friday.

The city’s closest shelter, at Beachside Montessori Village, was also full, city officials said.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ The owner can't be found? Sounds like abandoned property to me. Sell the cars at auction - to residents of the area who lost their cars to flooding.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My young friend called from Houston and explained his house didn't flood but he had walk through waist deep waters to get to the local conv store to get beer. "Isn't that risky?" I asked. "Why should it be?" He asked. "Have you considered that you are walking through the last 10-15 bowel movements of 3 million people?" I asked. "I see your point!" he said.

Must be awful down in my hometown.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
^^^ The owner can't be found? Sounds like abandoned property to me. Sell the cars at auction - to residents of the area who lost their cars to flooding.

That article is in reference to South Florida. They'll find the owner soon enough after Irma passes.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post