SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I hope everyone in SE Texas is preparing for hurricane Harvey. It's looking like a cat 3 or 4 now.
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 23
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I hope everyone in SE Texas is preparing for hurricane Harvey. It's looking like a cat 3 or 4 now. Login/Join 
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted
I just saw on Fox that this storm could become a cat 4 hurricane with 25-45 inches of rain.

Take care and take action now!

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Shit! I have friends in Houston who are having a baby there. They're having complications. Praying for them and everyone in the path.

Posts: 13130 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post

They were saying tropical storm at landfall just yesterday, but hurricane tracks are much easier to predict than intensities. This one could get rough, especially with the rainfall they are expecting.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5283 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Shit! I have friends in Houston who are having a baby there. They're having complications. Praying for them and everyone in the path.

They *should* be okay as long as it doesn't drift north of its current track. I'm a little East of Houston and we're expecting a pretty good amount of rain but the winds shouldn't be awful.

All of that is of course subject to change.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
It is really setting up to a be one hell of an event. Lots of conditions conspiring to both slow it down and help it build before hitting the coast. If it comes ashore and stalls out, as most models show, the flooding will be catastrophic over a huge area.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
This is the first year that they have been predicting the formation of a TS/TD. 2nd time I've seen them correctly predict a storm forming in the Gulf.

The latest cone of uncertainty is outside the Houston area for the actual hurricane, but it's looking like we'll be on the dirty side of the storm and there is the possibility it could track east once it makes landfall which would result in Houston getting a metric shit ton of rain.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23286 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
There go gas & oil costs just in time for Labor Day!

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4580 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
This is the first year that they have been predicting the formation of a TS/TD. 2nd time I've seen them correctly predict a storm forming in the Gulf.

The latest cone of uncertainty is outside the Houston area for the actual hurricane, but it's looking like we'll be on the dirty side of the storm and could get a metric shit ton of rain.

Six inches of rain in Houston means 12"-18" inches of flooding on the south side of town.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Not out of the question for Houston this time....

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
All the best for your friends. Right now, it seems the eye will hit me or I'll be in the NE quadrant near the eye.

Posts: 5756 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
The projections for this nightmare are changing by the hour because the storm is slowing its track north over very warm water that is fueling it. Their saying now that the heavy rains could go into Wednesday. I hope they are wrong and are over hyping their predictions to keep people safe.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. My nephew was supposed to move into his dorm at Corpus Christi A&M today. I was gonna head down this weekend with my sis and his family for a couple days.
It ain't happening.

Posts: 1680 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I have a sister in Albany, GA who was there when Alberto stalled out over that area for days, dropping about 30" of rain. It was an incredibly bad event, and nowhere near the population of that area of TX, let alone the topography.

Sometimes the wind and storm surge really are the risk!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12429 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Here is what I mentioned earlier about the storm heading east after making land fall.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23286 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
I have a sister in Albany, GA who was there when Alberto stalled out over that area for days, dropping about 30" of rain. It was an incredibly bad event, and nowhere near the population of that area of TX, let alone the topography.

Sometimes the wind and storm surge really are the risk!
The people of Houston are well aware of what can happen if a storm stalls out. Read up here on Tropical Storm Allison stalling out over Houston, and dropping 35" of rain in June '01.

In fact, TXJIM's picture is a freeway on the edge of downtown Houston that flooded 16.5' deep.

Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
I figured something was headed our way. This morning, I saw the spiders packing up and moving out of our rain gauge. Smile

Be safe guys and hope this one doesn't decide to hover over us.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
HURRICANAGGEDON!!!!

Posts: 20118 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
Stay safe everyone.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm about 80 miles northeast from where it should make landfall. Stay safe everyone.

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
HURRICANAGGEDON!!!!

If you haven't been through one it's hard to understand. Most of the time it's a lot of hype and it fizzles out. The reason there is a lot of hype is that when it doesn't fizzle out the results are mind boggling. 3 feet of rain in a couple days will ruin your week Wink