SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2020 Summer Olympics
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2020 Summer Olympics Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
Opening ceremony for the 2020 Summer Olympics from Tokyo is today. Anyone planning to watch?

(I know there's a couple threads on some of the political aspects going on, but I was thinking more about the event itself.)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
You mean 2021, right?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
You mean 2021, right?

No, it's still the 2020 Olympics (official name: Tokyo 2020). They postponed it a year due to Covid, but kept the year the same.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Nope !

Posts: 1348 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I might watch some of the track & field events and gymnastics. I'm just not into it this year due to the lack of crowds and politics.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Nope. better things to do.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not even mildly interested.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Unlikely. Neither my wife nor I really ever had much interest in the Summer Olympics. The Winter Olympics, now: We watch some of that.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Not watching any part of it.

Posts: 3147 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...do justly, love
mercy, walk humbly...
posted Hide Post
Only if all of the "Watching Paint Dry" episodes are reruns...then I may flip over to the Olympics.

Posts: 741 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
You mean 2021, right?

No, it's still the 2020 Olympics (official name: Tokyo 2020). They postponed it a year due to Covid, but kept the year the same.
All the merchandise was already made I guess. Either way I have zero interest. It was much more interesting to me when we had amateur athletes in most cases.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Olympics?

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

https://www.usashooting.org/ne...n-the-world-in-tokyo

The members of the United States Shooting Team have all arrived in Japan and completed their first days of official training for Olympic Games Tokyo 2020. Rifle and pistol athletes were the first to arrive with shotgun following a few days later.

“I’m so glad all of the shotgun shooters arrived in Tokyo and have entered the village. That’s step one,” said National Shotgun Coach, Jay Waldron.

The arrival procedures at the Tokyo airport were lengthy, but the unique Olympic experience and new swag at the village awaited the athletes right after. Everyone is in high spirits at the range and in the village, gelling together now more than ever with the Games less than 24 hours away.

“There’s not much more to say other than they’re ready. We’ve had good training leading up to this, everyone’s worked hard and they’ve worked smart. Our team is ready," said National Rifle Coach, Dan Durben.

Weather in Japan this week averages about 90 degrees with significant humidity, so it’s not surprising to see rifle suits spewed out across walls and pathways trying to dry out in the direct sun. Despite these extreme weather conditions, the U.S. athletes have settled in and are adjusting well to the weather and scenery.

National Pistol Coach, Jason Turner said, “Being that nobody has been here before we’re getting a feel for the range. Things like figuring out lighting conditions among others. We’re getting it dialed in and I’m feeling great about how training is going so far."

Training looks different for everyone, including Mary Tucker who joined seven other male and female shooting athletes from around the globe to compete in a 10m air rifle “practice finals” in the Asaka Shooting Range Finals Hall. To top it off, six-time Olympic Medalist, Kim Rhode, chatted with Tucker before the match and stayed throughout its entirety to cheer her on. Rhode mentioned some friendly banter took place prior to the practice between Tucker and male competitor, Alex Hoberg of Australia.

“I think it’s awesome that the world has come back together for the Olympic Games since it’s been about a year and a half. My guys have been excited to catch up with people they haven’t seen in a long time, and I think that’s the spirit of the Games to me,” added Turner.

Shooting at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 includes 101 Nations, 356 athletes, and 447 total starts. USA Shooting represents 20 of those athletes and 22 starts.

Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 begin July 23rd with the opening ceremony, and shooting sports begin July 24th with Women’s 10m Air Rifle (Mary Tucker, Alison Weisz) and Men’s 10m Air Pistol (Nick Mowrer, James Hall) Qualification and Finals. Full shooting schedule can be found here: https://olympics.com/tokyo-202...dule-and-results.htm

https://www.usashooting.org/do...420/ways-to-support2

https://www.usashooting.org/12-the-team/tokyo2020

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I have neither the desire nor inclination to watch one second of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. As much as I love tennis, I'll spend the time I would have watched actually being on the court myself. Better for my mental state. Better for my heart.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I'll likely tune in for women's beach volleyball.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Nope, absolutely no interest.

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
Olympics?

Never gets old. Roll Eyes

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Yawn.
If they ever get back to the real Olympics, maybe.

Posts: 9513 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post