SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hurricane Helene
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hurricane Helene Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted
The National Hurricane Center has this going from a large thunder storm just south of the Cuba and the Yucatán Peninsula to a Cat 3 Hurricane hitting Florida on Thursday. That’s impressive.

That’s a really short timeframe. It’s going to be interesting to see the decisions being made before this is even becomes tropical storm. For example, the powers that be will probably announce today that school will be canceled on Thursday and probably Friday. You can’t have kids on buses in 40-60mph wind gusts or getting stranded because of flooded roads.

We are prepared with one new wrinkle: our son attending USF in Tampa. We told him last night to come home on Wednesday as soon as classes were over and bring his roommate who is from France. If the school decides to shut down the dorms, the students that don’t or can’t leave will be bused to local hurricane shelters which I’m sure would be a great “college experience”.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck Katrina survivor and countless others.

Posts: 17530 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
It ain't official until it has a name.

Posts: 9297 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hands down she gets a name.

Posts: 17530 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Now named Tropical Storm Helene.

I got $5 that says Jim Cantore will be in Tallahassee tonight.

National Hurricane Center: link.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Storm surge of 5 to 10 ft up the coast, the news has people from Sarasota to New Orleans out waiting for the final destination.

Got 20 gallons of gas for the generator, half a box of cigars, and a new pair of sunglasses, we're as ready as can be.

Retention ponds are down so we have a place for any excess water...

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
As of noon, youngest son will be home doing classes online for Thursday and Friday. The principal made the call without waiting for the county public school district. I like her; she makes decisions.

My daughter goes to the same high school, but as a junior, she’s only taking college classes. She’ll have to follow whatever the college does.

Mailman just left. At least I’ll know what time it is:

They’re predicting this storm to be rolling 20mph on Thursday. That’s not really enough time for it to build much storm surge with the expected Cat 2 or low Cat 3 winds.

posted Hide Post
quote:
got $5 that says Jim Cantore will be in Tallahassee tonight.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
He is a major asshole off camera. Just ask the poor folks who work in the hotels during the storm. A local newscaster visited a local dentist. He listed his profession as TV personality.

The models for predicting strength need work. Zeta came through late in the season low end Category One was predicted, we got a Cat three.
My thoughts are with you guys and wishing the best. As they say folks along the Gulf Coast measure time by the hurricanes

posted Hide Post
Been watching the models carefully. Looks like it will hit between Panama City and the big bend. I’m next to Pensacola. The models change so check back every few hours.

Posts: 4974 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Son and family in Panama City, on the bay. He has already pulled his SeaDoos out and has em on a trailer.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7293 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
fuel - check
booze - check
smokes - check
water - check
toilet paper - check

think I'm good to go

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 2037 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Beer. Check.
Vienna Sausages and Beenee Weenees. Check.

Flying insect spray. Check.

Posts: 16206 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Jim Cantore is in Port Richey. I really figured he’d be flying into Tallahassee, not Tampa, because it would be the closest airport to the action.

On a side note: I drive through the intersection where Cantore got knocked on his ass by the wind on TV during Ian. I like to call it Cantore’s Corner.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I’m in St Petersburg. Schools closed Wednesday and Thursdays. Work is telework until Monday.

We have water, MREs and canned soup.

Posts: 13313 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Vino Veritas
Picture of Jaycat
posted Hide Post
HELENE is going past us now. I'm in Cozumel. So far just light rain with some 30 min downpours. The worst should be over tomorrow afternoon. Fingers crossed

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun!!!

Posts: 1047 | Location: Clarksville TN | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
I'm in Destin. Looks like it'll pass east but the path can always change. My son is at FSU, they already canceled wed-fri; I like the decisiveness.

Posts: 2453 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://zoom.earth/

Hurricane tracker with the updates from NHC included.

Good luck to everyone in the panhandle and nature coast. Stay safe out there.

Posts: 781 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GASIGnut
posted Hide Post
Standing-by in Apalachicola. As ‘new’ locals (2 years new residents), we’re observing the decisions of the locals. Most are at the ready for making that decision tomorrow lunchtime (Wednesday), with the expectation of landfall late Thursday evening. Hurricane party accomplished, now we get up early tomorrow and see what we see.

~ take advantage of today, & have no regrets
Carry On

Posts: 343 | Location: Apalachicola, FL | Registered: September 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GASIGnut
posted Hide Post
Adding this…. FOX meteorologist is on the island just south of us (St George Island). He just announced the mandatory evacuation of all barrier islands and evacuation of all non-residents. Although the county just announced evacuation of all residents of the entire Franklin County (including Appalachicola).
Funny thing is, FOX news Mike Slidel just said while standing in the sand live from St George Island, all hotels and motels on the island are under mandatory evacuation. There are literally NO hotels or motels on St. George island. Do your research man Razz

~ take advantage of today, & have no regrets
Carry On

Posts: 343 | Location: Apalachicola, FL | Registered: September 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Standing-by in Apalachicola. As ‘new’ locals (2 years new residents), we’re observing the decisions of the locals. Most are at the ready for making that decision tomorrow lunchtime (Wednesday), with the expectation of landfall late Thursday evening. Hurricane party accomplished, now we get up early tomorrow and see what we see.

^^^^^^^^^^^
That is smart. I have lived on the Gulf Coast for over forty years and have learned a lot. Folks used to drive by the weatherman's house and if he put up shutters they would as well. H revealed later that he put up the shutters even when it looked as if the storm would pass us by. I have been without power and water for over two weeks after Katrina and consider myself lucky. Brian Norcoss who is an expert said something very refreshing. NOLA had an engineering failure, Ms Gulf Coast had the 28 foot storm surge.