SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Let's make a list of all the juvenile, comic book names gun manufacturers are assigning to their products these days
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let's make a list of all the juvenile, comic book names gun manufacturers are assigning to their products these days Login/Join 
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
MPX Rattler Canebrake

Canebrake?

Isn't that like some weeds or something?

Canebrake Rattler is another name for a Timber Rattler. The type we have in north GA.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Beretta hasn't yet revealed their .32ACP 'Fritz the Cat', but I'll check their website weekly.

they still sell the .32 Tom Cat

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
"These days"?

I'm pretty sure that's been a thing with gun models since at least the 1980s, right?

Even 30-40+ years ago, we had stuff like:
Striker
Bulldog
Mustang
Recon
Python
Cobra
Asp
Diamondback
Anaconda
Desert Eagle
Super
Scorpion
Etc.

Hell, come to think of it, we can go back 150 years to the 1870s and find guns dubbed stuff like the "Lightning" and "Peacemaker".

and the every popular Spectre

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, we had such names in the past- to an extent- but this combining of terms which have nothing to do with each other- such as "Fusion Scorpion"- is a recent trend. Anybody want to tell me just what the fuck that's supposed to mean? It's ridiculous.

SIG is really bad about doing this, and it makes me feel like they are marketing firearms to fourteen year old kids.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I miss the old sig when you had the p226, 229, 239 designations and if you wanted to get fancy, you got the SAS model which actually discribed what was different about it. WTF does Emporer Scorpion mean?

Posts: 2753 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amc:
WTF does Emporer Scorpion mean?
It means "Hire a marketing department with people who've reached puberty."

Boring old Glock G(model number)

If only the folks at Glock had the foresight to assign silly, nonsensical names to their pistols, they might manage to sell everything they make. Roll Eyes

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amc:
WTF does Emporer Scorpion mean?

Well, it means it's different from the Fastback Emperor Scorpion, you see? Both of those are different from the Fastback Emperor Scorpion Carry.

No, I didn't make that up.

Now, they just need to come out with the Fastback Emperor Scorpion Carry SAS, a Fastback Emperor Scorpion Carry Elite. A Fastback Emperor Scorpion Carry SAS Elite Legion would really twist some tits. Make that sucker in rainbow treadplate and watch people lose their minds.

Wile we're at it, I'm going to go ahead and say I think the "Legion" branding qualifies as juvenile if only for the fact that they're blending a Spartan lambda and pitching it with this: "For thousands of years, one symbol has been a rallying cry for the world’s most revered warriors" but calling it by the Roman word for three to six thousand soldiers and cavalry. Had they called it the "Legion" and left off the lambda, or kept the lambda and called it the Spartan, it would be at least a bit less confused.

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
This sounds like an old SNL skit where the adults allowed the students to name their school football team. The result was something like Wicked Awesome Sex Tigers.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4788 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
What if...and hear me out, what if the guy who's responsible for coming up with these names ALSO feels this way.

Bosses: "Jones, we need a new name for this one, look, it's got all these colors and diamond plated slide...what do you think?"
Jones: *under his breath* "For fucks sake, not this shit again..." *out loud* "how about a huge pile of rainbow titanium bullshit?"
Bosses: "Masterful as always Jones! Rainbow Titanium is perfect, keep up the good work"
Jones: "Shoot me now, these fucking idiots"

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OneWheelDrive:
This sounds like an old SNL skit where the adults allowed the students to name their school football team. The result was something like Wicked Awesome Sex Tigers.
I remember that sketch. Victoria Jackson was in it.

The Capybaras and the Super Winners! Victoria's mom thought of that last one.