SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Let's make a list of all the juvenile, comic book names gun manufacturers are assigning to their products these days
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let's make a list of all the juvenile, comic book names gun manufacturers are assigning to their products these days Login/Join 
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
And lest we forget the Yeet Cannon.

I considered calling out the yeet cannon, but I'm actually good with that one. Meme name for a meme gun!

Yeet Cannon gets a pass, b/c it's self-aware. Hi-point held a contest to name their gun. Their fans voted on Yeet Cannon, so Hi-point ran w/ it.

You'd think w/ all the snake naming conventions that Colt, Sig, Taran Tactical, etc use that their model names are chosen by this guy.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
"These days"?

I'm pretty sure that's been a thing with gun models since at least the 1980s, right?

Even 30-40+ years ago, we had stuff like:
Striker
Bulldog
Mustang
Recon
Python
Cobra
Asp
Diamondback
Anaconda
Desert Eagle
Super
Scorpion
Etc.

Hell, come to think of it, we can go back 150 years to the 1870s and find guns dubbed stuff like the "Lightning" and "Peacemaker".

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The Accu-strut SOCOM. I mean, c'mon. Roll Eyes

Wait a minute...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16343 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CCI Stangers. (you guys took all the good ones lol)

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't care what name they use as long as it has a bad ass grip zone.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3532 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
Taurus Tracker - I have the 22LR/22Mag but have yet to track anything with it.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4788 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chipmunk.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Cricket

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Nightmare and Mosquito. I know there was a famous British warplane by that name, but to me it suggests a blood sucking, disease carrying pest.

Posts: 27949 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Nightmare and Mosquito. I know there was a famous British warplane by that name, but to me it suggests a blood sucking, disease carrying pest.
SIG named their 22 pistol the "Mosquito" because the first name they chose- "Tornado" turned out to have already been trademarked in the United States.

Just a bit of insider trivia for you

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107565 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
We're getting off track. It was not my intention that we should list every firearm which has a name instead of a model number.

The point is that gun manufacturers have gone off the deep end with these ridiculous names, frequently combining terms which have nothing to do with each other in the real world.

Picture of xaircav
posted Hide Post
Rough Rider (Heritage). Is it a gun or a condom?

There was a condom named the Rough Rider sold in fine gas station rest room vending machines.

I have flown among the trees and looked into the face of the enemy.

Posts: 785 | Registered: October 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I can’t think of any that haven’t been listed, but I have started to think that the guy who names Busse knives has been picking up some freelance work for gun companies.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:

EAA "Windicator" - Did you mean "vindicator" with a speech impediment?

This is still stupid, but I can almost give them a pass on it. Switching V and W sounds compared to what they sound like in English is a very central European thing, and what with EAA being European-American Armory, I can see it. "Vee vant to sank you wery much for purchazing zis pistol vee proutly call seh Windicator. "

Posts: 17123 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Noisy Cricket
Don't think they won't steal this name for a pocket pistol in the next few years.

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Does a "battle-worn" finish count as silly? I think so. I want my guns, if purchased new, to be pristine. If it's going to be "battle-worn" I want to be the one who put it there.

quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:

EAA "Windicator" - Did you mean "vindicator" with a speech impediment?

This is still stupid, but I can almost give them a pass on it. Switching V and W sounds compared to what they sound like in English is a very central European thing, and what with EAA being European-American Armory, I can see it. "Vee vant to sank you wery much for purchazing zis pistol vee proutly call seh Windicator. "

I could be wrong, but I have a vague recollection of reading that they wanted "Vindicator" but that name/trademark was already taken. Similarly, SCCY pistols used to be called Skyy, but that was in conflict with the existing brand of vodka.

Posts: 27949 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:

Taurus Raging Hunter

I'll see Raging Hunter and raise you Raging Bee and Raging Hornet, two models they had chambered in .218 Bee and .22 Hornet, respectively.

Then there's the "Thunderstruck," a revolver that is actually a miniature volley gun, since it fires two .22 Magnums for each pull.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Taurus Raging Hunter
Raging Boner

Pair it up with your Yeet Cannon and you'd have one heckuva Saturday night!

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I could be wrong, but I have a vague recollection of reading that they wanted "Vindicator" but that name/trademark was already taken. Similarly, SCCY pistols used to be called Skyy, but that was in conflict with the existing brand of vodka.

Could be, but I wouldn't be amazed to learn that a bunch of Europeans also didn't think "Windicator" didn't sound irretrievably stupid precisely because of my reasoning. Razz

If I had been them, and found out "Vindicator" was taken, I might've just tried to name it something else.

Posts: 17123 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Bullpup has always sounded silly to me

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post