SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Guns that looked cool but that was it
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guns that looked cool but that was it Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Savage Mako .22LR

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slippery Pete:
SEI Crazy Horse. Smooth bore musket shoots tighter groups...

Big Grin

That was a good one! I remember that!

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two I suppose, I got bit by the PCC craze early into my second (and current) interest in firearms. First, the Ruger PC4 looks great, shoots well, but is so over-engineered it is heavy as heck, and 40SW just does not get it done with me and I got out of the caliber.

As if that was not enough, I got a Marlin Camp 45. Sweet ergonomics, not overly heavy. Same issue with a pistol caliber just not getting much from the longer barrel. But what really killed it for me was how FILTHY it shot. I'm sort of anal about cleaning my firearms and it shot so filthy it would take 1.5 to 2 hours to clean to my standards. I dreaded the clean-up so much I stopped shooting it.

Both long gone.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
H&K VP70.

Looks cool on Aliens. You need to train hard to pull that trigger if you want to empty the magazine.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12107 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Llama 4 inch 357. Looked like a S&W K frame with a Python rib. Beautiful blue finish. Could not hold it without getting an erection. Unable to fire six rounds with out at least one misfire. Took it to a gunsmith who asked if I was in law enforcement. Told him no. His advise was to pull the trigger until it fired.

Posts: 80 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: May 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Just posted this in another thread, earlier today...

The G22 I just traded toward my 1911. I liked the idea of it. What's not to like about 15+1 rounds of .40 S&W goodness, plus another 15 rounds in a spare mag? Low maintenance. Takes abuse and keeps on tickin'. Always figured if I was going to have one TEOTWAWKI sidearm: That would've been it.

Except I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the thing

So, finally, after spending the last decade or more in the safe it was time for it to go. It was not an easy decision, but I don't keep safe queens.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Underfolder AK.

Looks cool, but good luck trying to get a decent cheek chin weld.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Kimber Solo.
Had about decided on a Kahr but the LGS had a Kimber Solo. Didn’t fire it but ordered one.
At the time Kimber listsed some 15 ammunition brands and bullet weights that could be used by the Solo. Break in was about 10 rounds.
I quickly discovered that shooting a complete magazine wasn’t going to happen. It jammed, stovepiped and bite my hand. Meanwhile Kimber was cutting back on what ammunition would work. Finally, only high end defensive ammunition would work.
I sent the Solo back once and supposedly had the feed/extraction fixed. Nope. Then the slide would not lock back. Shake the gun slightly and the slide went forward. Next was metal spalling from the slide where it hit the barrel. Back for a second time with a detailed letter from a gunsmith. Kimber replaced the gun. Have to admit customer service was excellent. I looked at the new Solo then made a deal for a Springfield EMP. That has never given me any problem.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Smith and Wesson Body Guard .380. It took me a couple years to stop having nightmares about such a long and hard trigger pull. I would dream that I would pull and pull on the trigger and nothing would happen until after I got shot by the other guy.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll submit the MP5. It always looked so bad-ass in movies.

A local range has used it a couple of times as a pickup gun in their IDPA match. After shooting it a couple of times, I find the bolt release awkward and there is a lot of muzzle rise.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichN:
I'll submit the MP5
there is a lot of muzzle rise.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Brolin P45C back in 1997. Thought the officer sized 1911 45 was neat with it's ported comp barrel.

What a lesson. Frown First the frame proved to be not my cuppa so it was swapped for a full sized. Then all the QC issues and MIM parts became problematic which doomed this manufacturer to just 3 years of life and a fade into oblivion.

After two trips to the factory and a lot, and I do mean a LOT, of parts swapping/fitting and tweaking I got it to be reliable and accurate. Then stupidly went further spending for a melt down job and more. Too much time, blood, sweat, tears and monies were spent.

The P45C/45T "Frankengun" which turned out to be basically equivalent to the later quite rare P45T Comp:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16204 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Solo for me. More 'sweet' than 'cool', but you get the drift. Wanted one right up until the gun's widespread problems hit the internet. In a BIG way. And now Kimber wants to try a reboot in the EVO(evil?) SP(shi**y pistol?). Even if it's proven to be reliable it's not going to stand much of a chance in this P365 world.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
TNW Aero Survival Rifle in 45ACP. I bought it used off Gunbroker. It would cycle dummy rounds by hand, but I just couldn't get it to make it through a Glock magazine without jamming. I replaced everything but the bolt, hammer, frame and barrel, all to no avail. Finally sold it at a gun show for at least a $350 loss.

Before that a CZ-52 pistol. Gritty trigger, slide lock that didn't, brittle firing pin, tiny sights, didn't always chamber the first round in a mag, and had a lot of recoil and muzzle blast.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AMT 380 Backup. Taking it apart to clean was an event.
Walther PPKs. Bought several as I wanted to love it. Not one functioned.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the underfolding AK. Declined to even try a G3-type rifle with the funky twin-spar collapsible stock.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Khar mk9 bout it the year it came out. 96/97/98 ish
Bought it sent it to khar 3 times. It never fired 3 rounds in a row. Khar told me to stuff it, when i called to return it a fourth time. I had 5 or 6 mags.

I have has good luck with my former mosquito, and my univeral carbine back in their times. I

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I've been so wrapped up in the M14 world, I had to look up images of Kimber Solo. Yeah, it looks real nice. Glad I was spared too.

Although I never was a Kimber fan so I probably would have skipped anyway.

I forgot all about the Calico 22 pistols.

FN, sorry to hear about your Shioh Sharps debacle. That's disheartening to hear.

I almost gave up on my original production run GSR-1911. Sent it back to Sig once, then glued everything that kept falling off (front sight roll pin, manhole cover) and after 1500 rounds of jamming and frustration, it finally loosened up and stopped jamming. Haven't had a problem with it in years now. That first year, I almost gave up though.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Walther PP Super in .380 ACP - one of the coolest guns I thought in terms of looks but like other blowbacks, not a fan of the recoil.

Sphinx AT-2000 series pistols were my bane. Bought 3 and while having the best DA/SA trigger I’ve had the pleasure to use, they were ultimately sold off due to extraction and feed issues... even after a visit to my local, trusted gunsmith.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Dare I mention the Sig Mosquito?

One of my best friends bit on that one. As many experienced: It was marginally "ok" if fed the proper diet. Here's how much he liked it: I only recall it being on the range with us once. I never saw it nor heard about it again.

I almost bit when he did. Sure was glad I did not.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post