SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Guns that looked cool but that was it
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guns that looked cool but that was it Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
What are your list of guns that looked cool that you really wanted, own or owned only to find out that looking cool was about all it had going for it.

It's the gun you wanted to like and you wanted to shoot well but it either was a jam-o-matic, too heavy, terribly inaccurate, broke all the time or could be counted on to fail more than function.

I remember I was dead set on getting a SPAS-12 a long time ago until I did the research and found out that it was bulky, prone to breakage and parts are unobtanium now. My most vivid memories of that shotgun were with Rutger Hauer in the movie The Hitcher and of course the original Jurassic Park.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
North American Arms .22 revolvers.

The first time I saw it I knew I had to own one and eventually did until I traded it recently for a .22 mag bolt action Savage.

I'll give it credit in that it was solidly built, but it was just way too small for my hands, I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I also didn't like having to put my hands so close to the muzzle to slide the pin in to the cylinder, and how it wasn't "safe" unless the hammer rested between chambers.

It was neat to have for a while, but when it started staying in the safe more than coming with me to the range I decided it was time to go.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The FN FS2000 and the Steyr AUG. Owned both. Cool looking, but that's about it. Uncomfortable.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
SPAS-12

Before I even clicked I was going to mention this one.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
The Dardick.

The Gyrojet.

To name just two....

Posts: 11316 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
My disappointment gun was a Shiloh Sharps that I ordered back in the late 1990's. Went to Shiloh's plant in Big Timber, MT. Ordered my gun and paid the full price ahead of time. Two other friends ordered theirs at the same time.

In the mean time the company changed hands and a year later I get a call to pick up or for $50 they would send it.

Drove down and was given an additional bill for $100+ above and beyond what I already paid, which I thought was the FULL price. They stated the price I was quoted was the manufacturers price, BEFORE adding the excise tax added to all guns! We went round and around a bit, I finally got my gun.

It was beautiful but the front sight was so high it didn't shoot to point of aim at all. So I started filing the sight down. In order to zero I filed the front blade until it was starting to get too small. So had the rear modified by a gunsmith to allow me to zero yet still have enough front blade to still SEE.

The gun was never accurate with any smokeless powder. I wasted many months and at minimum $400 on various molds, lubes, pure lead, commercial cast and paper patched slugs, powders, etc. Best I could get was 3" at 50 yds.

So changed out the open sights for uber expensive aftermarkets. A globe front with various inserts and an adjustable tang for the rear. Another $300+ as I recall.

My groups shrank with better sights but I doubt that gun ever did 3" at 100 yds. My 100 yds groups were all 4-6 inches.

The gun was beautiful, great fit and finish but it simply didn't shoot as well as I thought it should.

Gave it to a friend with BP experience he came to the same conclusion after spending a few weeks with it.

Eventually sold it at a loss of several hundred dollars. That Shiloh Sharps was MY most disappointing gun in 45+ years of gun nut time.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Mac-10. Have had a chance to shoot one that is owned by a collector buddy. You run it absolutely dripping with oil to keep as reliable as possible - his had the silencer with wrap so you could hold on it. Looked cool, as an 80s kid I still consider cool but after shooting and seeing how to unjam...not something I'd own.

Kriss Vector 45. Just odd, did not notice any less recoil, was heavier than it needed to be.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Among my regrettable purchases are the Bond Arms derringer, Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless, and the Uberti Schofield replica.

The Bond Arms has a quirky trigger and the bores are not regulated to POI at any particular distance so you get to two distinct groups. Nicely made, however.

The iconic Colt was difficult to shoot because of ergonomics and a heavy trigger.

The Uberti Schofield had a terrible bore out of the box and it spit lead. Ergos weren't that great either.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a very early model of a Desert Eagle in .357 magnum (circa mid 1980s). As a college kid, I was the envy of my peer group with it as far as looks, accuracy, and impressive fireball goes. But I rarely got a full magazine through it without a malfunction. The size made it impressive to look at and relatively mild to shoot, but I couldn't even reach the safety w/ my thumb easily.
Eventually traded it even up for a Belgian Browning T-series Hi Power. I'm convinced that I came out way ahead on the deal.
s.

Posts: 297 | Location: Ogden, UT | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
SPAS-12

Savage Mako. (Never had a bolt action jam so much)

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Hudson H9

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
SW SW99. Thought it was a good version of the Walther P99, I was wrong.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Para Ordnance p14 LDA. Trigger was not that great, even when compared to other DA triggers. Accuracy was meh. Only reliable with 230fmj. Quality of the Para felt cheap compared to Colts and Springfields. Gun writers hyped the fuck out of it and this fool had to have one. Mad
It went down the road for a loss.

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Diamondback DB380

Kinda cool looking pocket .380 but it shot like shit, I recall trading it it after two range sessions.

Posts: 33776 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
My disappointment gun was a Shiloh Sharps that I ordered back in the late 1990's. Went to Shiloh's plant in Big Timber, MT. Ordered my gun and paid the full price ahead of time. Two other friends ordered theirs at the same time.

In the mean time the company changed hands and a year later I get a call to pick up or for $50 they would send it.

Drove down and was given an additional bill for $100+ above and beyond what I already paid, which I thought was the FULL price. They stated the price I was quoted was the manufacturers price, BEFORE adding the excise tax added to all guns! We went round and around a bit, I finally got my gun.

It was beautiful but the front sight was so high it didn't shoot to point of aim at all. So I started filing the sight down. In order to zero I filed the front blade until it was starting to get too small. So had the rear modified by a gunsmith to allow me to zero yet still have enough front blade to still SEE.

The gun was never accurate with any smokeless powder. I wasted many months and at minimum $400 on various molds, lubes, pure lead, commercial cast and paper patched slugs, powders, etc. Best I could get was 3" at 50 yds.

So changed out the open sights for uber expensive aftermarkets. A globe front with various inserts and an adjustable tang for the rear. Another $300+ as I recall.

My groups shrank with better sights but I doubt that gun ever did 3" at 100 yds. My 100 yds groups were all 4-6 inches.

The gun was beautiful, great fit and finish but it simply didn't shoot as well as I thought it should.

Gave it to a friend with BP experience he came to the same conclusion after spending a few weeks with it.

Eventually sold it at a loss of several hundred dollars. That Shiloh Sharps was MY most disappointing gun in 45+ years of gun nut time.

I've been past their shop a number of times but never stopped in...it's right across the street from The Fort I believe. Anyway, that's a sad story to hear that so much heart and soul (apparently too much of yours and not enough of theirs) went into a firearm without results one would expect from a custom rifle.

0:01

Posts: 4206 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
The ASP. Great theory, bad implimentation. The manufacturing process took away most of the anodizing and the gun was dehorned but hard to keep hold of. The sight was innovative but slow and imprecise. I would love to have one of the later ASPII's.

Posts: 4809 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
The Calico. Only shot one with the 50rnd mag. Never tried it with the 100rnder.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
M1A1 Carbine, that stock must have been designed on a bar napkin during happy hour.

Posts: 9957 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
SIG P230SL, 1995 vintage.

I know some people love it, but even then it was big for it's caliber, heavy, and it's WW2 style ergonomics led me to not like it a whole lot, aside from lookin' at it.

I never shot it very well, although it was accurate if you benched it in SA - similar vintage P220/45 shot like a laser-beam at the same time. I don't recall it every malfunctioning except when friends shot it and induced issues when getting slide bitten by it.

Kept it for 2-ish years, likely put 1500rds through it before trading it in at some gunshop in Illinois while on leave. Got a Remington Marine Magnum out of the deal, which kept me happy for the next 10 years that I owned it. I guess for the money it would be nice to still have it, but it would just be in the safe to be ogled at from time to time.

I do count myself lucky to have that as my worst gun purchase. Better to be lucky that good, I always say. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
CZ-USA SA vz.61 Scorpion in 7,65 x 17mm (.32 ACP). While it seemed cool at the time, this clunker of a semi-automatic pistol proved to be nothing more than an expensive novelty.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post