SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Global War?
Page 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 45
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Global War? Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Virtually every college campus that I've ever been on has some sort of 'biological research lab',

After a night of keggers and taco bell, any bathroom is a potential lab full of bio-chemical devastation..

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
In Rural Russia, Locals Blame the West for Conflict in Ukraine, Back Putin

“No one who has not lived for years in a totalitarian land can possibly conceive how difficult it is to escape the dread consequences of a regime’s calculated and incessant propaganda. Often in a German home or office or sometimes in a casual conversation with a stranger in a restaurant, a beer hall, a café, I would meet with the most outlandish assertions from seemingly educated and intelligent persons. It was obvious that they were parroting some piece of nonsense they had heard on the radio or read in the newspapers.”
— William L. Shirer, The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich (n.p., 1961; electronic edition New York: RosettaBooks, 2011), 324.

Added: And unfortunately as is demonstrated even here these days, the same problem occurs when someone voluntarily limits his source(s) of information to the ones that present a highly selective narrative and suppress or at least ignore anything that does not fit. And no, that’s not limited to people on the Left. Those on the Right can be just as head-in-the-sand oblivious to anything that doesn’t fit what they want to believe, but it’s a little harder for them because the major propaganda purveyors are predominantly leftist.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:

“No one who has not lived for years in a totalitarian land can possibly conceive how difficult it is to escape the dread consequences of a regime’s calculated and incessant propaganda. Often in a German home or office or sometimes in a casual conversation with a stranger in a restaurant, a beer hall, a café, I would meet with the most outlandish assertions from seemingly educated and intelligent persons. It was obvious that they were parroting some piece of nonsense they had heard on the radio or read in the newspapers.”
— William L. Shirer, The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich (n.p., 1961; electronic edition New York: RosettaBooks, 2011), 324.

Happened right here over something called Covid-19.

I guess we can infer that we’re totalitarian; or completely propagandized beyond any reasonable persons ability to resist.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ No, we can infer that we are what we were before the Kung Flu showed up - evenly divided and at political daggers drawn. COVID didn't give rise to the propaganda hurricane, it got caught up in it as one side insisted it was (yet another - see Jan. 6th) excuse to restrict and criminalize individual freedom.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a biolab related post. I am starting to think that Ukraine can actually come out of this war with a win (of sorts). Ukraine isn't going to invade Russia and defeat them. But I am thinking that they might be able to end this war on reasonably favorable terms. like taking a pledge of neutrality, with no territorial concessions, and nothing more. That would be a win for Ukraine and a defeat for Putin. I hope it happens. And I hope they are provided with the weapons they need to make it happen. The Ukranians have been spectacular.

Saw a clip that had an interview with a territorial defense group. They had a museum in their area that had working weapons from WW2.
One guy had a Thompson. He said it works and he has 9 clips of ammo for it. Plenty to kill lots of Russians he said. One guy had a Russian PPSH-41 submachine gun from WW2. Hope they can do some damage with their weapons.

Posts: 1052 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
^^^
Unfortunately for Ukraine (as well as the rest of the world) Putin is all in on total victory in this conflict. I truly believe he will resort to something more sinister than his already reprehensible indiscriminate barrages on civilian areas. As this grinds on with Ukraine refusing to bow paired with unsustainable losses of men and equipment it’s entirely possible that there will be forays into the use of WMD’s.

He’s already used thermobaric’s on civilian areas and there’s evidence of white phosphorus munitions which is supposed to be forbidden. As Putin becomes increasingly impatient for a victory there’s no telling what this madman might do.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Added: And unfortunately as is demonstrated even here these days, the same problem occurs when someone voluntarily limits his source(s) of information to the ones that present a highly selective narrative and suppress or at least ignore anything that does not fit. And no, that’s not limited to people on the Left. Those on the Right can be just as head-in-the-sand oblivious to anything that doesn’t fit what they want to believe, but it’s a little harder for them because the major propaganda purveyors are predominantly leftist.

AMEN!

Posts: 11386 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:
Not a biolab related post. I am starting to think that Ukraine can actually come out of this war with a win (of sorts). Ukraine isn't going to invade Russia and defeat them. But I am thinking that they might be able to end this war on reasonably favorable terms. like taking a pledge of neutrality, with no territorial concessions, and nothing more. That would be a win for Ukraine and a defeat for Putin. I hope it happens. And I hope they are provided with the weapons they need to make it happen. The Ukranians have been spectacular.

Saw a clip that had an interview with a territorial defense group. They had a museum in their area that had working weapons from WW2.
One guy had a Thompson. He said it works and he has 9 clips of ammo for it. Plenty to kill lots of Russians he said. One guy had a Russian PPSH-41 submachine gun from WW2. Hope they can do some damage with their weapons.

The Ukrainians definitely seem motivated. Putin's trying to break their will by leveling hospitals and apartment buildings.

I'm not sure if that will work.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
updated 'objective' damage assessments (equipment losses). continues to be a grinder for Russia.

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/...nting-equipment.html

updated tactical / strategy assessment. Russia remains basically bogged down (minus local activity). Ukraine counterattacks in numerous locations. My personal view is I just don't see Kiev ever getting taken.

https://www.understandingwar.o...ine-conflict-updates

also -- saw a thing the other day explaining the Russian white painted-on symbology. related to respective axis of advance.

V -- invasion force from the north -- west of the Dnieper river
O -- from the North -- East of the Dnieper
Z in a square -- from the east
Z (not in a square) from the South

--------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
also -- saw a thing the other day explaining the Russian white painted-on symbology. related to respective axis of advance.

V -- invasion force from the north -- west of the Dnieper river
O -- from the North -- East of the Dnieper
Z in a square -- from the east
Z (not in a square) from the South

Yep. Here's a good video that breaks down Russian vehicle markings:

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Markings or not, I’d be very worried about friendly fire with everyone running around in almost exclusively Russian hardware. As opposition, I’d also be worried about infiltrators sneaking behind lines in “borrowed” armor.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Dangerous or not, it can be necessary to do what’s necessary. During WWII the Germans often relied on captured vehicles, including tanks, and even though it was dangerous and resulted in friendly fire incidents on their side, they sometimes did it because it was felt necessary.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Desperate times and all that. And the Ukrainians are not just fighting for territory; they’re fighting for their very existence so I assume they’ll do what needs to be done at the expense of life and limb.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nailed it.

In other news...

quote:

Russian cosmonauts wear Ukraine colors

Three Russian cosmonauts emerged at the International Space Station last night with inflight suits in the yellow and blue of the Ukrainian flag.

Normally cosmonauts wear standard-issue blue uniforms.

Some have interpreted this to mean that the three cosmonauts — Oleg Artemyev, Denis Matveev and Sergey Korsakov — were be making a daring statement against the war. The Kremlin has launched a brutal crackdown on anti-war messages.

When asked about the suits, cosmonaut Oleg Artemyev said "we had accumulated a lot of yellow material so we needed to use it."

The three blasted off from Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan for a six-month stay aboard the orbiting laboratory yesterday.

They are joining the crew in place at the International Space Station of two Russians, four Americans and one German.

Full article at: Ukraine: UK warns against post-war reset with Putin — live updates

“It’s a bold move, Cotton. Let’s see if it pays off for them.”

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
They were claiming that they'd leave the American astronaut up there. I'm thinking that those guys are going to want to stay up there. Their future on the ground is pretty dismal.

quote:
"we had accumulated a lot of yellow material so we needed to use it."

RRRRiiiiiggghhhttt. Roll Eyes

They just pulled out the old Singer and sewed up a few space suits from left over yellow cloth. I'm sure Putin will buy that. Big Grin

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
It's been brought to my attention that:

1. Soyuz cargo is packed well in advance. In this case: Probably before Putin invaded Ukraine, and

2. The crest of the school from which all three cosmonauts graduated, the Bauman Moscow State Technical University:

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Yeah.

I do not believe the comminauts are sporting Ukrainian colors by design.

Uniform (flight suit) colors over time have been light, medium and dark blue, teal and red.

It would have made more sense if there was a "solidarity" intent to show a Ukraine flag.

Wearing a yellow suit with large Russian flag colors over the right breast and flag patch on the sleeves makes me think it is something out of nothing, and the time suits would have been made, well outside the timeline of this war, as well as how many eyes on this and they get away with it?

Unless the guy on the grassy knoll, is also a tailor...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
It's just been brought to my attention this may have happened:

quote:

There is no longer a railway connection between Ukraine and Belarus - head of Ukrzaliznytsia
SATURDAY, 19 MARCH 2022, 19:16

SATURDAY, MARCH 19, 2022, 18:58 - DANA GORDIICHUK

There is no longer a railway connection between Ukraine and Belarus, so the Russian occupiers will not be able to deliver Russian equipment by rail from Belarus.

Source: Oleksandr Kamyshin, head of Ukrzaliznytsia [Ukrainian Railways], on Nastoyaschee Vremya (TV channel created by Radio Svoboda and Voice of America).

"I appealed to Belarusian Railways not to carry out criminal orders and not to lead Russian military convoys to Ukraine. I can now say that there is no connection between Belarus and Ukraine," he said.

Kamyshin refused to say at what point the rail connection between the two countries was severed, in order not to put workers of the Belarusian railway at risk.

"I can't clarify the details, but I am grateful to Belarusian Railways for what they are doing… I believe that these people will be able to prevent Belarusian Railways from transporting military convoys to Ukraine," Kamyshin added.

"Currently, the railways are out of order", Kamyshin confirmed, "so Russian equipment from Belarus will not be able to be delivered."

Reminder: In the afternoon of 26 February, Ukrainian troops blew up the railway junctions connecting the Ukrainian and Russian railways.
Ref: There is no longer a railway connection between Ukraine and Belarus - head of Ukrzaliznytsia

As always: Consider the source(s).

The "It's the largest sabotage action in Belarus" part got me curious, so I looked. It may be it actually happened. Observe:

quote:

Rail war in Belarus: Partisans prevent military trains from going to Ukraine
EURORADIO | 03/03/2022 - 18:16 | POLITICS

While it was a protest then, now it's a war. Belarusian railroads suffer burned equipment and disabled traffic lights. As a result, trains with Russian military and equipment stopped running on the Belarusian railroads at night.
Full article: Rail war in Belarus: Partisans prevent military trains from going to Ukraine

Note the implicit acknowledgement from Belarus' government there has been railway sabotage.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Historical irony. The Russians engaged in massive amounts of partisan actions against the German aggressors during WW2, to good effect. Now they're the aggressors, and facing the same.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post