SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Global War?
Page 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 45
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Global War? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I'm not for buying Russia's supposed "paranoia." That's like giving validity to a wife beater's excuse that some of the things his wife does really, really drives him up the wall that he has to smack her sometimes.

I disagree. Recognizing and pointing out a defect in someone’s reasoning abilities is in no way accepting it as justification for irrational, immoral conduct. The actions of the Soviet Union and then the Russian Federation for the past 100 plus years have been largely driven by two factors: imperialism and paranoia. The desire for expansion and influence is hardly unique to any one country, but I’m not aware of any major power in modern times that has so consistently demonstrated its fear that it’s being continually targeted for destruction by external—and internal—forces. That paranoia led to one internal upheaval after another under the Soviet system, not to mention leading the world to the brink of nuclear disaster more than once. And the KGB where Putin started his career was one of the most paranoid of Russian organizations.

Yes, the USSR and now the Russian Federation had and has its enemies, but although it sounds like a playground excuse, the obvious fact is that they started it and their own actions, and theirs alone, are the reasons it continues to this day. This most recent example of barbaric aggression is merely the most recent and hardly the first.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I'm not for buying Russia's supposed "paranoia." That's like giving validity to a wife beater's excuse that some of the things his wife does really, really drives him up the wall that he has to smack her sometimes.

Nobody is justifying Russia/Putin's paranoia. We are simply pointing out what should be obvious.

You can say the abusive husband has a temper problem without justifying his abuse and without saying the wife 'deserved' to get beat. . .

Putin is KGB. Those leopards don't change their spots easily.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Assuming Russia has a paranoia issue might be simply misdirecting how Ukraine has been used as leverage against them by other powers. For all reports and purposes, Putin isn't attacking the Ukraine peoples as much as their corrupt government. They got involved with Obama accepting bio lab funding as far back as 2005, and it's been steadily down hill ever since.

NATO has NO justificatoin for inviting Ukraine into the organization specifically because the charter disallows it - yet, here we are. Turkey is in NATO - how is a country located in the Middle East and which has shores on the shared Black Sea in an organization limited to the NORTH ATLANTIC?

NATO has been an instigator for years.

What the real problem is: Too many Americans are still locked in a 1980's mindset over international events, and are trying to fit them into a Tom Clancy novel rather than look at the historical changes over the last 40 years. And getting that information from a biased media who only supports one side of the story? Really?

There is an issue with citizens who at some point in their life stop accepting change. There are those who quit learning after high school, or who won't engage in public news off the clock because of their childrens activities, and we sure will congregate with like minded people where we won't be confronted by our off base conclusions. And they are in the majority.

There are others, tho, who daily take the time to discover what is new. Survey: did you know that the NYPD is dropping the 12 pound trigger and will issue 5 pound triggers to the graduates of the Police Academy until they are the norm?

That news broke August of last year, gun makers will be phasing those models out. If anything it's why there are more on the market now - closeouts.

If this is fresh news to us as gun enthusiasts - how much more international relations between two countries that a lot of folks haven't looked up on a map in 20 years? Again - the majority. Those comedians who conduct "man on the street" surveys aren't so much humor as a sad reflection on how much we don't know, not what we do.

Just maybe RUssia isn't the bad guy here - after all, one specific American political party has had nothing good to say about them for the last 6 years, blaming them for everything wrong - and even their political opposition's collusion with them. Yet the opposite is true - it was a fradulent narrative with no basis in fact and the investigation of it is coming out with indictments.

Russia Russia Russia all over the media again. Apparently the vast majority are once again taking it hook line and sinker. When do we finally learn our lesson?

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
It can be boiled down to 2 reasons why a country is invited and joins NATO.

1) A country (outside the traditional North Atlantic) is invited because it opens up a whole new revenue stream for the military industrial complex.

2) A country wants in because they want the protection of the west. NATO can't force anyone to join.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6851 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tirod:
NATO has NO justificatoin for inviting Ukraine into the organization specifically because the charter disallows it - yet, here we are.

I would ask where in the NATO charter it says that, but I haven't even figured out the whole "the Ukrainian government is lefty Jewish Nazis installed by Soros, Klaus Schwab and the CIA to act as a money laundering machine for Democrats and build biolabs for culling humanity and NATO making Christians gay" thing yet.

Posts: 2413 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
decent site reporting equipment losses in detail w/ images

(seems to be unbiased) take with a grain of salt

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/...nting-equipment.html

----------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I'm not a big fan of Lindsey Graham but he got this one right.
This doesn't end well with Putin still breathing and it needs to be an insider(s).

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/l...n-take-this-guy-out/

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
This doesn't end well with Putin still breathing and it needs to be an insider(s).

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/l...n-take-this-guy-out/

You're kidding, right?

I don't know if I've ever seen a US politician do anything that irresponsible, dangerous, and frankly stupid, and that's saying something.

He should resign immediately over that.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Assuming Russia has a paranoia issue might be simply misdirecting how Ukraine has been used as leverage against them by other powers. For all reports and purposes, Putin isn't attacking the Ukraine peoples as much as their corrupt government. They got involved with Obama accepting bio lab funding as far back as 2005, and it's been steadily down hill ever since.

NATO has NO justificatoin for inviting Ukraine into the organization specifically because the charter disallows it - yet, here we are. Turkey is in NATO - how is a country located in the Middle East and which has shores on the shared Black Sea in an organization limited to the NORTH ATLANTIC?

NATO has been an instigator for years.

What the real problem is: Too many Americans are still locked in a 1980's mindset over international events, and are trying to fit them into a Tom Clancy novel rather than look at the historical changes over the last 40 years. And getting that information from a biased media who only supports one side of the story? Really?

There is an issue with citizens who at some point in their life stop accepting change. There are those who quit learning after high school, or who won't engage in public news off the clock because of their childrens activities, and we sure will congregate with like minded people where we won't be confronted by our off base conclusions. And they are in the majority.

There are others, tho, who daily take the time to discover what is new. Survey: did you know that the NYPD is dropping the 12 pound trigger and will issue 5 pound triggers to the graduates of the Police Academy until they are the norm?

That news broke August of last year, gun makers will be phasing those models out. If anything it's why there are more on the market now - closeouts.

If this is fresh news to us as gun enthusiasts - how much more international relations between two countries that a lot of folks haven't looked up on a map in 20 years? Again - the majority. Those comedians who conduct "man on the street" surveys aren't so much humor as a sad reflection on how much we don't know, not what we do.

Just maybe RUssia isn't the bad guy here - after all, one specific American political party has had nothing good to say about them for the last 6 years, blaming them for everything wrong - and even their political opposition's collusion with them. Yet the opposite is true - it was a fradulent narrative with no basis in fact and the investigation of it is coming out with indictments.

Russia Russia Russia all over the media again. Apparently the vast majority are once again taking it hook line and sinker. When do we finally learn our lesson?

Too soon. We're currently in the war propaganda phase. Intelligent people will get to where you are at...Dems are hoping after the midterms. More hysteria...worked last election.

Posts: 1968 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:

It may be true...
but it's still irresponsible of Lindsey Graham to say so publicly. We shouldn't have a US Senator making Putin any more paranoid than he already is.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The assassination of some obscure archduke set off one of the bloodiest conflicts in all of history. What do you think will happen if someone assassinates Putin? And at the behest of a US Senator for chrissakes!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
With all the verbiage bantered about: Putin is ex-KGB and a melomaniac and his positivity supporters are of the communistic persuasion. Political 'leaders' like their 'cannon fodder' and like to label the target with 'scary' or fearful terms like Nazi, NATO, commie etc. etc.. It does seem to work, especially with the 'masses'. However, the 20th century is no more and dis-information is harder to spread due to the ubiquitous 'social media' that is now abundant and presents a different narrative. Ukraine today is what a 'civil war' would look like - nothing 'civil' about it!

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The assassination of some obscure archduke set off one of the bloodiest conflicts in all of history.

^^^^^^^^^^^
He was not obscure he was the heir to the throne. He and his wife were both killed.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, he did not.

I agree that Putin being gone is the only way this ever ends well for Ukraine, Russia, and everybody else, but a US politician calling for the assassination of a foreign leader is appalling in its irresponsibility.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Putin is ex-KGB and a melomaniac

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
He likes watermelons or jazz music?

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
STFU Miss Lindsey, are you TRYING to get us all nuked? Mad

Hypocritical POS turncoat MF

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
The assassination of some obscure archduke set off one of the bloodiest conflicts in all of history. What do you think will happen if someone assassinates Putin? And at the behest of a US Senator for chrissakes!

He's not talking about some obscure guy out in public doing the deed and this isn't 1914. He's just stating the obvious.

He means when it becomes so clear to everybody within his inner circle that their best interests, even their very lives, and all of them are so threatened by his actions that there is only one path forward, they must act to try to save themselves. He can take them all down with him, or they can take him down and maybe survive.

I think everyone recognizes that it can't be done without an unacceptable risk, by his enemies. They can't get to him and the aftermath would be too risky even if they could.

Russia is presently a large organized crime family, with nukes, and he is likely well protected from all but his closest associates. They are all out for their own good. When they see that disappearing they may decide they have no other choice.

Putin is a leader like Hitler and Stalin were leaders. He just hasn't had enough time to rack up the death and destruction but given more time and more advanced weapons, who knows. He is a pure psychopath and a few weeks ago I wouldn't have predicted any of this. Again, this isn't going to end well with him still alive.

Substitute the name Hitler for the name Putin. If this was 1939 or 40 and with the benefit of hindsight, would you be opposed to someone in our government making the same statement?

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

He was not obscure...

Sure he was.

quote:

Putin is a leader like Hitler and Stalin were leaders. He just hasn't had enough time to rack up the death and destruction but given more time and more advanced weapons, who knows. He is a pure psychopath and a few weeks ago I wouldn't have predicted any of this. Again, this isn't going to end well with him still alive.

Substitute the name Hitler for the name Putin. If this was 1939 or 40 and with the benefit of hindsight, would you be opposed to someone in our government making the same statement?

First of all, Putin is not Hitler and he's not Stalin. But regardless, yes, in 1939 or 1940, it would still be extremely irresponsible and careless for an official high in our government with a lot of power to say what Chickenhawk Lindsey said on a public broadcast for all to hear.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

posted Hide Post
quote:

agree. the comparisons to Hitler in modern history are usually over-done. this one is getting damn near right on the money.

massive collateral damage to civilians as a means of victory. if Putin consolidates a victory over all of Ukraine -- replenished with those natural resources -- we (the West) are in for a lot worse. it's only beginning i contend.

(and I was one of the one's who did NOT think he would do this. i have changed my tune after seeing his 'total war' approach)

-----------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BansheeOne:
quote:
NATO has NO justificatoin for inviting Ukraine into the organization specifically because the charter disallows it - yet, here we are.

I would ask where in the NATO charter it says that, but I haven't even figured out the whole "the Ukrainian government is lefty Jewish Nazis installed by Soros, Klaus Schwab and the CIA to act as a money laundering machine for Democrats and build biolabs for culling humanity and NATO making Christians gay" thing yet.

Big Grin

Go back and reread earlier in the posts, you are missing the conspiring with aliens. Once you factor the little green guys in, it will all make sense.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post