SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cheap things you do that you aren't ashamed to admit.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheap things you do that you aren't ashamed to admit. Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I just washed a Red Solo cup.

Posts: 12573 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
back when I was an apartment dweller, the apartment laundry room had pay-washers that charged 75 cents for a wash, and it was 75 cents for a dry cycle in the dryers.

I'd wash my stuff, but rarely dried anything with their dryer. I'd have laundry hanging all over the apartment air drying to save the 75 cents.

I had a stretch of insulated 16 AWG wire that went from one end of the apartment to the other. It served as both a drying line for the laundry, and, believe it or not, a shortwave antenna at the same time.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11086 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
^^^^^^

If a ratty pickup cruised your neighborhood every week and topped off everyone’s cans on garbage day, would you be praising their frugality or calling the cops?

As long as all the residents had deposited in their cans all the trash they wanted already, then I doubt any of them would notice or care.

When I see people in my neighborhood drop off their little baggies of dog poop that they've collected while walking their dogs or pick up litter they come across and drop it in my trash or recycling bin, I consider that a good thing. I don't run after them yelling about 'stealing my service.'

Posts: 3257 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
This post was said to be in honor of JAllen, but I’ll bet dollars to doughnuts he’d be shaking his head at you skinflints. Big Grin

Posts: 18343 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since I work on a .mil installation, I can access the Thrift Store. I have found a lot of nice things very, very cheap. A large portion of my current wardrobe has come from there, all nice / name brand stuff.

I also use Brickseek to find clearance items at W-M, Target, Lowes.

I scavenge buttons off clothes before throwing them away, and shoelaces too if they're not trashed already.

I work on almost anything before paying someone else, or at the very least, diagnose the problem first. I am aware of safety liabilities associated with electricity, gas, and other utilities, so I leave those to professionals.

I use coupons as much as possible with restaurants.

Posts: 519 | Location: Middle Alabama | Registered: February 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Whenever we have houseguests I use their toothbrushes to clean the commode and grout lines in the bathroom, saving wear and tear on our cleaning brushes.

Posts: 27158 | Location: TOAD SUCK, AR | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Instead of using sandwich baggies I use a Tupperware type container.

Posts: 10040 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I put dips back in the can ....
Use to keep my short cigs for later when I smoked.

I use grocery bags as garbage cans.

I keep junk mail letters to use the back for notes, "do you have a pen ready" stuff.

Re-use tin foil. Keep boxes and bubble rap.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
Cut my own hair,wash and reuse paper plates, rarely use our Trane dual fuel heating system burn wood most of the time and never order any drink but water if we eat out.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3818 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whenever we have houseguests I use their toothbrushes to clean the commode and grout lines in the bathroom, saving wear and tear on our cleaning brushes.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think I would like to cancel my upcoming stay. I did notice some black stuff on my toothbrush after my last visit.

Posts: 17478 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
Originally posted by TRIO:

When I shop for food, I go to the cheapest stores first. Such as Aldi and Grocery Outlet, buying as much as I can find. Then, I buy things I couldn't find at the more pricey markets. Save a ton that way.

No, you just spend it on gasoline and car expenses, driving between stores.

I live in the densely populated north-east. These stores are along the paths from my home, my work, and other places I frequent. No extra driving as assumed. Even if that were not the case, I save at least $200 per month compared to going to the one pricy store that has everything. That would certainly cover car expenses for those trips in my situation.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think I would like to cancel my upcoming stay. I did notice some black stuff on my toothbrush after my last visit.
Probably not caviar.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15527 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I know a guy who will wait until he clocks in to take his morning dump. He says he wants to be paid while doing his morning routine. I fire people like that.

I used to work with that guy.

- - - - -

My cheapness:

Oh, and my SUV has 305k miles on the odometer. Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13851 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by florida boy:
......wash and reuse paper plates,

This has been mentioned a few times, and it makes no sense to me. There are actually plates that are made to be washed. They've been around for a few centuries, perhaps millennia. If you are going to wash it, there is absolutely no reason to use paper in the first place.

Posts: 9022 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
Tractor Supply is my fashion headquarters.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by florida boy:
......wash and reuse paper plates,

This has been mentioned a few times, and it makes no sense to me. There are actually plates that are made to be washed. They've been around for a few centuries, perhaps millennia. If you are going to wash it, there is absolutely no reason to use paper in the first place.

I was taught paper plates and towels were for rich ppl ! Never made sense until it was my $.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
This thread is getting a bit into the weeds... but if you eat straight from the pan while standing over the sink , you don't even need a plate.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ironbutt:
Tractor Supply is my fashion headquarters.[/QUOTE

My fashion headquarters also(TS and Ace Hardware) Our AH has a decent clothing section.]

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3818 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
I haven't paid for my own cell phone in almost 20 years, always had a work phone. I was paying 40 for my wife's cell phone which is pretty good.

Well, work decided they just don't want to deal with managing everyone's phone, so they decided to tell everyone to get their own plan. You can walk away with your current phone that you had from them too. In return, they'll pay up to 85 bucks of your bill. And they're not going to try to carve out your particular phone from your family plan or anything, they'll just pay up to the max.

Went to t-mobile, got their military/veteran plan with 2 lines for 100 a month, so I'm technically only out of pocket 15 a month now. They gave me a new iphone since I was transferring in service since I kept my work cell # and traded in an old iphone. Cancelled the wife's 40 dollar plan, now I'm ahead 25 bucks. And the new plan actually pays for my neflix subscription, that's another 13 I'm saving.

My brother just got mugged by an armed robber in Los Angeles, took his phone. He's not doing too well financially, so I activated another line on a phone I had laying around (I work in tech so yeah, I have lots of them) and the only cost is another 20 a month, so now he's saving about 30 bucks a month on his plan and just sends me 20.

So now my bill is 120 a month for the three lines. The fun part is, 4 lines is still 120 a month. So going to move Mom over to my plan too here soon and not pay a penny more, just need to source a good phone for her to use for the next few years.

Never thought I'd get ahead of the game by having to pay for my own cell phone.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper!

Posts: 783 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I know a guy who will wait until he clocks in to take his morning dump. He says he wants to be paid while doing his morning routine. I fire people like that.

Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime, that’s why I poop on company time! Big Grin

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post