SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cheap things you do that you aren't ashamed to admit.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheap things you do that you aren't ashamed to admit. Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

I tried something like that at the topless joint, but the girls caught on and started tearing that corner off my dollar bills.
I don't know anybody who uses real dollar bills at the topless joint. The fake bills work just fine in the dim light. Or so I was told by a friend.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31370 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I wash used toilet paper.... OK. Not true, I just wanted to be included.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44441 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I collect cans/bottles on my runs.

Change oil in all my cars, but don't save much money.

Most everyone in my neighborhood pays for landscaping. I refuse.

I manage to do most of my house maintenance. Granted, the house is only 12 years old, so nothing too serious.

I enjoy diagnosing house and automotive problem and then fixing it myself. I did the clutch in my 2002 Civic Si last December. Took me a while, but I did it and saved $750-900 in labor.

P229

Posts: 3943 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
I super glue a piece of fishing line to a quarter so when I go to peep shows I can use the same quarter over and over. Razz

I tried something like that at the topless joint, but the girls caught on and started tearing that corner off my dollar bills.

Its a regional thing. Doublesharp lives in the Louisville area. Many of the strippers aren't worth a dollar, maybe not even worth his quarter.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
My shower is across the house from the water heater. Thus 1.5 gallons of cold water prior to getting hot water.

1) start the washing machine first on hot to drain off the cold, as it is near my bathroom.

or

2) I keep a 5-gallon bucket in the shower and use it to collect the cold water. Then I used it later to refill the toilet tank. Only paying once for water and sewer that way for the cold stuff.

Posts: 1039 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I keep a roll of paper towel at my desk and reuse sheets of it.
I eat and drink at my desk so I would place a sheet under the plate or cup to keep the desk clean from crumbs and drips. If the sheet is still clean, I would fold it up in a rectangle and put away to be used at another time.

I guess eliminating the use of paper towel all together makes better sense, but oh well.

Posts: 7442 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
I go to the individual stall car washes at the back of the local chevron and spend a quarter for high velocity spray. Bring my own towels. Wet down, wipe down, done.

Just down the street is a new car wash with free vacuum stalls. Went there once, will probably go again.

I used to get a small senior coffee at mcdonalds for $0.67. Then I started getting large. I do the mcdvoice survey when I get home, write the code on the receipt, and get a two large coffees for one - $1.08. It's actually a two for one on any item, but the only thing I'll get there is black coffee. I've found they have a monthly limit - six or seven codes lol. I have a bungee cord rigged on the back of the drivers seat that holds the two cup holder flat and won't tip over while driving.

My bank always sends me blank return envelopes for a couple of my accounts. Reusable. Tape a strip of paper from the inside to cover the window.

Tuesdays and Wednesdays, several theaters have $4.00 movies. Maybe not three d ( shrugs ), but I don't watch those and won't put glasses over my glasses anyway. Most are senior, some need a player's card and also be a senior.

Something I did in the service aboard ship and it's a habit. Navy shower. Wet down, turn off water. Soap up. Rinse off. No running the water until it gets hot either. On and in. My wife still takes hollywood showers.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I don't do this, and don't know if it is just a joke, I call this a hobo meal. Maybe from earlier really lean times. Order hot tea at a restaurant, Use ketchup to make tomato soup in the hot water. Make lemonade in your water glass with the lemon. Save the tea bag for later.

Posts: 7626 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SOTAR:
My shower is across the house from the water heater. Thus 1.5 gallons of cold water prior to getting hot water.

1) start the washing machine first on hot to drain off the cold, as it is near my bathroom.

or

2) I keep a 5-gallon bucket in the shower and use it to collect the cold water. Then I used it later to refill the toilet tank. Only paying once for water and sewer that way for the cold stuff.

or

3) Install a recirculating pump for the hot water heater. It uses minimal electricity. Our house has one, and having instant-on hot water anywhere in the house is great.

Posts: 33031 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
I installed bidets on our toilets without realizing how much I'd save on toilet paper...which is a rather considerable amount of money.

No shit? (Pun intended)

Posts: 6705 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
At "target shooting areas" in the forests, I pick up left behind brass for calibers that I don't even use/reload. Once I collect enough of it, I try to trade it for calibers that I do reload.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11086 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
Two 55 gal rain water drums - Use free cat litter 3 gal jugs to douse dog piss - Spotless back yard.
At 1 cent per gallon, I'll have this all payed off in 10 years.

Posts: 504 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I bring this up often when the topic of tools come up, but it's more kitchen oriented.

I decided I wanted an electric hand mixer. However I didn't know how much I'd actually use it. The next time I was in Target, I looked at what they had. The cheapest thing they had was a $6 no name piece of Chinese junk. But I figured I'd try it, and see if I really used it enough to justify spending more on a "real" one when it died. This must be 10+ years ago. I still have it. It still works. I still use it occasionally. I got vastly more than my $6 worth out of it.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Good thing you don't. I'm sure the restaurant would take a dim view of it.
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
I don't do this, and don't know if it is just a joke, I call this a hobo meal. Maybe from earlier really lean times. Order hot tea at a restaurant, Use ketchup to make tomato soup in the hot water. Make lemonade in your water glass with the lemon. Save the tea bag for later.
Don't forget to stiff the server on the tip.

Posts: 28632 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I do and I don't.

Some of it is because I grew up with parents that were adults during the Depression and they went to what seemed like extremes when I was a kid. Examples:

Breakfast OJ was served in 4 ounce glasses and you got ONE. No refills.

School lunch was packed in paper bags and you had BETTER fold that bag neatly and bring it home for tomorrow.

Tin foil was washed, smoothed, folded and stored for re-use, as was waxed paper.

Soap remnants were saved and stored in a quart jar with a little water and the resultant slop was used to wash hands in the "back room" after chores. (I still gag a little when I remember the smell.)

So, yeah, I rebel a little. Back when I could drink OJ without getting terminal heartburn, I'd drink a water glass full at a whack. I throw soap slivers the fuck away. I've never washed a piece of aluminum foil since I left home.

But we do little things. Plastic bags are re-used to collect returnable cans and as trash can liners. Ziplock bags that aren't completely disgusting are saved for parts storage. There are about 2 dozen of them in a box right now holding parts (with labels inside) from the dozer. The littel tupperware-like boxes lunch meat comes in get used to store small parts or as tubs to clean small parts in. Suitable (ie, cotton) discarded clothing is cut up for shop rags. Food waste is fed to the chickens and seagulls or composted. 2 or 3 meals a week are prepared from scratch, the rest of the week is leftovers. VERY little food gets thrown away and I bitch at SWMBO about that. (I don't give a drizzly shit WHAT the can says - if it ain't bulged or rusty, it's GTG!)

We must be brothers from different mothers! And married sisters!! The local Thai restaurant uses heavy duty, tight sealing plastic ware for take out; I then clean and save for leftovers.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I cut my own hair (Flowbee).

I save plastic and paper bags from the store for truck use (or cooking bacon, you figure out which for which).

I keep all extra napkins, sporks, and other plastic utensils on hand in the truck.

I keep the go-order containers if they're solid and can be used for other things.

I buy Old Navy khaki pants and wear the snot out of them, versus high end pantelones.

I rarely buy any clothing unless it is steeply discounted, and even then is no name (shoes are a different story...).

I watch a youtube diy video on virtually everything before I pay to have it done.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6391 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
At "target shooting areas" in the forests, I pick up left behind brass for calibers that I don't even use/reload. Once I collect enough of it, I try to trade it for calibers that I do reload.

So YOU'RE the bastage beating me to all the free brass on the other lines!! Red Face

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6391 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I buy eggs in bulk and make a lot of "hard boiled" for a snack. If I forget to pack or take my lunch, I buy a cheap soft pretzel to hold me over until dinner. I do this even if I have $20 in my pocket.

Even if I'm not that hungry, I'll buy a large hoagie saving half for the next day.

While at work, after washing my hands, I pocket the paper towels I just used. They work great for cleaning my machines.

I buy pork loin or roast when on sale. Then cut it into chops. Many meals real cheap that way.

When I shop for food, I go to the cheapest stores first. Such as Aldi and Grocery Outlet, buying as much as I can find. Then, I buy things I couldn't find at the more pricey markets. Save a ton that way.

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention a few more:

If I go to a restaurant, if they have a salad buffets, I eat just that and save the meal I just bought for another day.

I always hit up all clearance racks first.

At the farmer's market, go on last day of week that they are open, everyone is cutting prices during the last two hours.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I take my trash to work and put it in the dumpster. I have for years. I save $30.00-$60.00 a month.

ARman

Posts: 3212 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post