SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cheap things you do that you aren't ashamed to admit.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheap things you do that you aren't ashamed to admit. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARman:
I take my trash to work and put it in the dumpster. I have for years. I save $30.00-$60.00 a month.

ARman

Ummm...that’s called stealing.

Posts: 9023 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
After changing my oil, I set the containers on their narrow, cap side. After a day or so, pre the accumulated oil into a collection oil container.

Use accumulated oil for an oil change when enough oil has be collected.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14144 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Return empty water bottles for the .05 deposit.

Posts: 2427 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Burn documents in 55 gallon drum to save on shredding cost.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Damn...I am just not worthy...

Posts: 1368 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cut my own hair and do my own home and auto repairs except heavy plumbing (requiring a blow torch). Oh and I reload.

Posts: 3106 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
I take my trash to work and put it in the dumpster. I have for years. I save $30.00-$60.00 a month.

ARman

I know a guy who will wait until he clocks in to take his morning dump. He says he wants to be paid while doing his morning routine. I fire people like that.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29905 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I haven't bought paper towels in years.
I use "flour sack towels", which I can get in packs of two dozen for about a buck each. Wash and reuse, they get better the more you use them.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

ARman

Oh come on now... This is one of those 'Tragedy of the Commons' type situations. No one cares if you use the garbage service they pay for, unless others are adding so much refuse that it impairs the paying party from disposing of their trash.

I don't know how many coworkers ARman has, but if all of them started taking advantage of their employer's dumpster, then that might put it past its capacity.

Posts: 3262 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^

If a ratty pickup cruised your neighborhood every week and topped off everyone’s cans on garbage day, would you be praising their frugality or calling the cops?

Posts: 9023 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
quote:
quote:

ARman

Oh come on now... This is one of those 'Tragedy of the Commons' type situations. No one cares if you use the garbage service they pay for, unless others are adding so much refuse that it impairs the paying party from disposing of their trash.

I don't know how many coworkers ARman has, but if all of them started taking advantage of their employer's dumpster, then that might put it past its capacity.

While volume might be a concern, the real issue with depositing into a company owned dumpster is the possible environmental requirements that govern proper disposal of potentially hazardous waste. Example: Silly as it may seem, at my former employer, spray paint cans are required to be punctured and drained before disposal.

No telling what violation someone is dropping into that dumpster.

Posts: 1569 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Environmental and volume concerns and all other rationalizations are secondary.

It's theft of services, plain and simple.

It's wrong.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15488 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Non-reusable zip lock bags and the bags from getting fruits and vegetables in the grocery store become kitty litter bags.

Posts: 9251 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
No telling what violation someone is dropping into that dumpster.
A business whose services I used had a dumpster. No "outsiders" dropped stuff in it during business hours, and the dumpster was padlocked at night.
The dumpsters that are provided for tenant's use at Our Little Airport were located in the parking area on the entrance road. They might be empty at 5:00 pm, but would mysteriously fill up overnight. They were relocated to a dead-end taxiway on the interior of the airport where they could not be seen from the more accessible areas. No more problem with local area folks dropping their trash off at the airport.
When we had the roof replaced at our house, the roofing company had a dumpster placed in our driveway the day before they were going to tear the old roof off. People in the area saw the dumpster and it was half filled before the first shingle went in. If I had caught anybody in the act it would probably have been the last time they did anything like that.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31378 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
If you take your trash to work and wonder why you are still single, well....

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
I keep a roll of paper towel at my desk and reuse sheets of it.
I eat and drink at my desk so I would place a sheet under the plate or cup to keep the desk clean from crumbs and drips. If the sheet is still clean, I would fold it up in a rectangle and put away to be used at another time.

I guess eliminating the use of paper towel all together makes better sense, but oh well.

We eat out a lot. Doesn't save anything, but I like it. My wife must be a clean eater because she only takes a single paper napkin. I'm a slob and do my best to extract a whole bunch of them from the dispenser. Target volume is maybe 10 or so. It disgusts her, but when she spills something, she makes ready use of the little pile I've commandeered. Then its time to go. Should I be wasteful or thrifty? Right, I take the unused ones along to the car.

Her little car has a shelf above the glove compartment. I place the extra towels there. We have no Kleenex's in the car. I have little or no pride left and just use an Arby's napkin. Grandkids come along (we have a language barrier) and ask for a "tissue". No problem, they get a napkin, we don't carry along "tissues", I'd have to buy them. The wife is adapted to my miserly ways. Grandkids hopefully will also adopt some cheapness.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
and spend a quarter for high velocity spray.

Y'all can live cheaply out in the desert. 'Round here, where water is everywhere (too much in fact) the old quarter car wash takes 3 and now 4 quarters for a few seconds of pressure. The damn things now take credit cards, too. That'll never happen from me.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
I don't do this, and don't know if it is just a joke, I call this a hobo meal. Maybe from earlier really lean times. Order hot tea at a restaurant, Use ketchup to make tomato soup in the hot water. Make lemonade in your water glass with the lemon. Save the tea bag for later.

I first heard that from some family friends who lived up in Wapakoneta, OH. Its where Neil Armstrong grew up. That version of the story had the ancient lawyer coming into the restaurant each day. They got a new manager and he was trying to make a profit. The manager had the wait staff cut off the free water. The old man kind of wimpered and told the lady "I wish you wouldn't do that, it'll cost me a bundle each year." Then after lunch he went back to his office and fired the new manager. Turns out he owned the restaurant and every other building on the block. He got rich by being "thrifty", aka cheap. Gotta ask my mother if there was more to the story.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRIO:

When I shop for food, I go to the cheapest stores first. Such as Aldi and Grocery Outlet, buying as much as I can find. Then, I buy things I couldn't find at the more pricey markets. Save a ton that way.

No, you just spend it on gasoline and car expenses, driving between stores.

Unhappy ammo seeker

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
I don't do this, and don't know if it is just a joke, I call this a hobo meal. Maybe from earlier really lean times. Order hot tea at a restaurant, Use ketchup to make tomato soup in the hot water. Make lemonade in your water glass with the lemon. Save the tea bag for later.

I first heard that from some family friends who lived up in Wapakoneta, OH. Its where Neil Armstrong grew up. That version of the story had the ancient lawyer coming into the restaurant each day. They got a new manager and he was trying to make a profit. The manager had the wait staff cut off the free water. The old man kind of wimpered and told the lady "I wish you wouldn't do that, it'll cost me a bundle each year." Then after lunch he went back to his office and fired the new manager. Turns out he owned the restaurant and every other building on the block. He got rich by being "thrifty", aka cheap. Gotta ask my mother if there was more to the story.

It's bullshit. There are about 20 calories in a tablespoon of ketchup. An entire table size bottle has 23 servings, and you obviously aren't going to use it all. You'd starve to death pretty quickly if you relied on that for a food source.