SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cheap things you do that you aren't ashamed to admit.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheap things you do that you aren't ashamed to admit. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
In my case, "did".

Lived frugally in my late teens and most of my 20s (college, dental school and residency) while most of my friends were out drinking, having fun and buying new cars. I did that so I wouldn't have to wash out Ziplocs later on.

Posts: 9023 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up in a frugal household(parents grew up during the depression). I still do the same things(not all of them) that my parents did. Many of the things listed here, I can relate to. I like to "fix" things rather than toss them and buy it new.....a feeling of accomplishment.

I have been repairing my cars and motorcycle for years, but the newer FI models are a different ballgame.....I can't work on them.

I have a pile of "clean" ziplock bags for future use, and I keep the plastic microwave trays that frozen foods come in, and use them in my shop and the reloading room.

I am o.k. with the habits that I was taught and still use. God only knows how much money I have saved over the years. I owe no one a dime except for monthly utilities.....I like it that way!!

Posts: 6709 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'll use the Red Key
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
A local grocery store has a points system for money spent there and applies a percentage of that as a discount at their gas station (with a 35 gallon limit.) When it builds up to 20-30 cents off a gallon I take the truck over and bring 2 5 gallon gas cans. I'll fill 25 in the truck and the rest of the 35 gallon limit in to the gas cans. Once you use the discount, it goes away no matter how much gas you get. Sometimes we'll bring over two cars, but most of the time it is easier to just go with the gas cans. I don't like to just fill up the truck and leave 10-15 gallons of potential discounted gas. Then in a week or two I'll use whats in the gas cans.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3819 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Two tools that help with frugality are a vacuum sealer and a slicer.
Roast beef at the deli is like nine bucks a pound; I can make my own for a fraction of that and vac seal it in portions, making it last for months.
I use a lot of green onions. Putting the root ends in a glass of water on the window sill will let you "regrow" them for a week or so and harvest more from them.

And of course, I mill almost all my own flour and do all my own baking. I purchase almost nothing that's "ready to eat". This also cuts down on packaging and trash.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:
I've been known to wash Solo cups and re-use them.

I'll reuse ziploc storage bags unless the mayo has leaked out of the sandwich.

I have some old Ziplocs still in service. My wife uses them like they are free. Drives me nuts.

I also squeeze the old soap to the new bar - no wasted soap.

I drive a car until it is dead. That saves a ton.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
I wear work shirts two times between cleaning/washing. I work indoors and always wear an undershirt.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6167 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Not necessarily frugal like a lot of ideas in this thread, but I have an office job and it surprises people to see me up under a car fixing it, doing my own boat repairs/maintenance, or home repairs.

I guess I got it from my dad, who many times had no choice but to do it himself.

My limit is if the tool costs as much as the repair or if I am 20 ft off the ground - then I will think about hiring it out.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
I use a lot of green onions. Putting the root ends in a glass of water on the window sill will let you "regrow" them for a week or so and harvest more from them.

No shit?

I'm going to have to try that.

Posts: 33036 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:

No shit?

I'm going to have to try that.

Me too!!! I use a lot of green onions throughout the year.

Posts: 6709 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
I'll start: when I buy a Costco roasted chicken, I'll carve the meat off the chicken to serve but then use the bones to make chicken stock. I'll put the chicken stock in a plastic container and freeze it for future use. Probably end up saving like $1 in chicken stock from what started as $5 chicken.

Posts: 256 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I turn off all of the lights my wife leaves on (apparently she has a phobia about turning lights off, and it drives me nuts).

I am tryingto talk the famoly into getting rid of cable.

My grandparents grew up during the depression. My grandmother would make open gifts so that the wrapping paper could be saved and re used. They only used powdered milk. Saved every piece of string, no matter how small. No leftovers ever got thrown out. Funny thing is though, they always had money for beer (alcoholic grandfather) and cigarettes. My grandfather also smoked cigars, factory seconds.

Posts: 2241 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
We waste nearly no food. Leftovers get packed for for lunch, and excess ingredients get turned into stir fry or soup.

I bring my oil (synthetic) to the dealer for oil changes. I pay $22 in labor, filter, and the small parts for the oil change. They wipe out my engine bay, grease the chassis and door hinges, and fill up my washer fluid.

Posts: 13063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
I am both thrifty and hideously wasteful, but in different areas. I am at a point in life where there are many instances where I would rather spend money than time, and I have the resources to make that choice. My time is valuable to me, and I will absolutely spend money to save time far more than I used to.

However, there are still areas where I am thrifty. For example, I bought an electric hair trimmer about 18 or 19 years ago, and haven't paid for a haircut since. I wear boxers until the holes in the crotch are big enough to put a fist through, and my shitty ikea-style, particle-board desk has been moved across three states, been reinforced with random Home Depot hardware repeatedly, and is still my primary desk at home after 20+ years.

So, will I use use a 10-year-old bar of hotel soap I found in a drawer even though it is hard and sharp enough to shave with? Absolutely. Will I also spend $300 on a Lego version of Voltron that you actually assemble from the five Lego mini lions? You bet.

I guess, like most folks, there are places I'm willing to spend money and places I'm not. Overall, I would not say I am thrifty, but I have certainly done some pretty thrifty shit!

- Bret

Posts: 2476 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I super glue a piece of fishing line to a quarter so when I go to peep shows I can use the same quarter over and over. Razz

Posts: 4817 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I installed bidets on our toilets without realizing how much I'd save on toilet paper...which is a rather considerable amount of money.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
We're not tight wads, mind you. We spend money on nice things, travel a fair bit, and go out with friends--but sometimes we have a good chuckle at the lengths we go to not waste money.

Same with us, we buy some pricey items, firearms for one Wink. We do some of the same stuff posted (zip lok freezer bags). Some of the other things I do- I travel a bit for my work, I collect shampoo, soap bars, conditioner from the various hotels I stay in to throw into a basket in our guest bathroom. We also buy only Toyotas and Hondas/Acuras and drive them until they die.

I maintain my own swimming pool instead of paying someone, something my neighbors and friends are puzzled by, since hey all have a service. I also reload 9mm, had gun friends accuse me of being chinzy Big Grin

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17153 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Cheapest thing I do is make custom recipes with cheap Ramen.
Anyone ever washed a paper plate and reused it?
Asking for a friend.... Cool

Tell your friend that I have a friend that also does that.

Posts: 5787 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:
I've been known to wash Solo cups and re-use them.

I'll reuse ziploc storage bags unless the mayo has leaked out of the sandwich.

I wash and re-use my Ziplocs, but only the heavy duty/ freezer ones. The sammich ones are one-use.

I'd wash Solo cups if I used them. I have a couple of "stadium cups" (basically thicker white cups the size of Solo cups) I use constantly.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3350 | Location: Grapevine TX/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
I super glue a piece of fishing line to a quarter so when I go to peep shows I can use the same quarter over and over. Razz

I tried something like that at the topless joint, but the girls caught on and started tearing that corner off my dollar bills.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
Where to start....

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post