SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    US Embassy Alerts All Americans To Depart Afghanistan "Immediately" As More Provincial Capitals Fall
Page 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 ... 103
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US Embassy Alerts All Americans To Depart Afghanistan "Immediately" As More Provincial Capitals Fall Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I suspect that they're going to make an example of this guy and not just let him walk away.

Not that I have a ton of experience working around "General" Grade Officers, especially Marine Corps General Grade Officers, but I don't think they like being "Called Out" like that, especially by some lowly Light Bird.
(However, I do have a Full Bird on speed dial)

Im betting that there's a whole room full of lawyers sifting through his shit with fine tooth combs. They'll find something, and they will hang him on it in the most painful manner they can. His resignation goes into effect 11 SEPT 2021, 11 days is enough time for "The Suck" to play "fuck-fuck" games with him.

(For those of us that were in the Military- I'm going to laugh my ass off when some "hard-on" Echo-4 has a 0-5 on his working party. "Hey, 'Half-Chicken', see all of that 5.56 on the stripper clips? Get 'em the fuck off of there, ya shit-bird." "Paint them rocks gold, and them rocks over there red.")

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8368 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
I suspect that they're going to make an example of this guy and not just let him walk away.

While I'm glad someone is speaking out again the failed leadership, I don't think the way Lt Col Scheller is going about this is the right way. A wise old Master Guns once told me "If you want to make a change you need to put yourself in a position to make one". Getting courtmartialed and resigning dosen't seem like the best position to me. He probably would have been more effective by trying to get a star and effecting change from within.

I believe this guy's cheese may have slid off his cracker...

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I hate The Gateway Pundit with their constant Bombshell and Breaking Huge bullshit, but they sometimes have the goods.

Just In: Bombshell! Leaked Transcripts Reveal Biden Pressured Then-Afghan President Ghani to Lie About Taliban Advances to Downplay Crisis

By Julian Conradson
Published August 31, 2021 at 10:48pm

As if it wasn’t bad enough for Sleepy Joe already, even the Deep State has begun to throw him under the bus for his incompetency in Afghanistan.

On Tuesday, Reuters obtained leaked transcripts of Biden’s final call with Ashraf Ghani – the recently departed president of Afghanistan – before the Taliban completed their overthrow of the country.

During the call on July 23rd, Ghani communicated how serious the situation was, saying the country was undergoing an assault from a “full- scale invasion” of about “10,000-15,000 international terrorists.” He also explained that the Taliban had full logistical support and planning, courtesy of Pakistan.

Biden paid no attention, he pressured the then-president to create a “perception” that the Taliban hadn’t been advancing at such a rapid pace, “whether its true or not.”

quote:
‘I need not tell you the perception around the world and in parts of Afghanistan, I believe, is that things are not going well in terms of the fight against the Taliban,’

‘And there is a need, whether it is true or not, there is a need to project a different picture.’

Biden then offered Ghani US military aid, including air support, if he agreed to lie about the situation on the ground. He also asked the Afghan president to gather powerful warlords in the area to help change the narrative about the Taliban winning.

quote:
‘You clearly have the best military, you have 300,000 well-armed forces versus 70-80,000 and they’re clearly capable of fighting well, we will continue to provide close air support, if we know what the plan is and what we are doing,’ he said.

‘But I really think, I don’t know whether you’re aware, just how much the perception around the world is that this is looking like a losing proposition, which it is not, not that it necessarily is that, but so the conclusion I’m asking you to consider is to bring together everyone from [Former Vice President Abdul Rashid] Dostum, to [Former President Hamid] Karzai and in between,’ he said.

‘If they stand there and say they back the strategy you put together, and put a warrior in charge, you know a military man, Khan in charge of executing that strategy, and that will change perception, and that will change an awful lot I think.’

The Afghan President refused Biden’s shameless offer.

Less than a month after the call, Ghani fled the presidential palace in Kabul – and the government that US forces had built over the past 20 years had officially fallen.

More at TGP: https://www.thegatewaypundit.c...ces-downplay-crisis/

Q

Posts: 26472 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
@mblinky - Change from within:
1. Takes a long time
2. Means you have to keep your mouth shut and tow the line until you are unassailable.
3. In the current political environment would still end in you getting shut down.

Not sure that is an option anymore. Maybe scorched earth is the only way to get the message out before it gets buried and forgotten.

JC

Posts: 1273 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
What this Marine did won’t be forgotten. While he may or may not have gone about it the wrong way the political winds will shift and when they do will he be poised to capitalize on it? He has a lot more support than some people realize.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21125 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
One Word...TREASON!!! Mad

https://www.thegatewaypundit.c...ces-downplay-crisis/

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8950 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I hate The Gateway Pundit with their constant Bombshell and Breaking Huge bullshit, but they sometimes have the goods.

Posted on the previous page with the Daily Mail and Reuters.

It'll be interesting to see what comes of this. One would fully expect a crapfest in store for the administration, but with today's media, who can say?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30429 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
So now the military is trying to do damage control- they are saying these are not US Military working dogs but NATO contractor dogs that are in no way military or DOD responsibility.
Id like to ask “just what the fuck is your responsibility here?”
Apparently nothing- not our soldiers lives, not US civilians stranded, not billions of dollars worth of equipment. Im gonna go take a walk for a while, this shit is just too much.

Makes no difference who’s they are. We don’t leave soldiers behind and this is exactly what they are. Argue with me all you want you will never convince me otherwise. Working K9’s are fellow brothers, sisters and partners just as much as human counterparts. I have heard that they were released from their kennels to at least give them some kind of chance. I am sickened to my core. Leaving behind Americans and now fellow K9 soldiers is unacceptable. It is disgusting and the lowest of the low. All who had a hand in these piss poor decisions should be convicted of treason.

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.breitbart.com/asia...attempt-afghanistan/

update below - he is heading home

Oklahoma Congressman Missing After Secret Rescue Attempt in Afghanistan

Rep. Markwayne Mullin (R-OK) has reportedly gone missing after attempting a rogue evacuation mission to rescue five American citizens that President Joe Biden’s administration left behind in Afghanistan.

According to the Washington Post, U.S. officials are now “unsure of Mullin’s location” after he requested help from the U.S. Embassy in Tajikistan on Monday with his evacuation of a woman and her four children.

The call to the U.S. ambassador to Tajikistan came in Monday. On the line, two U.S. officials said, was Rep. Markwayne Mullin (R-Okla.) with an unusual and urgent request: He needed assistance in transporting a huge amount of cash into the country, saying he was going to neighboring Afghanistan to rescue five American citizens, a woman and her four children, stuck in the country. They planned to hire a helicopter for the effort.

Mullin told the embassy that he planned to fly from Tblisi, Georgia, into Tajikistan’s capital, Dushanbe, in the next few hours and needed the top diplomat’s help, according to the two U.S. officials familiar with the incident, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to disclose private conversations about a sensitive matter.

The answer was no. Embassy officials told Mullin they could not assist him in skirting Tajikistan’s laws on cash limits on his way to visiting one of the most dangerous places on earth.

Mullin was outraged by the response, the officials said — threatening U.S. ambassador John Mark Pommersheim and embassy staff and demanding to know the name of staff members he was speaking with.

Mullin has since gone missing since that intense exchange, which came one week after he traveled to Greece where he requested permission to travel to Kabul from the Department of Defense. Mullin’s request for help in “an unauthorized evacuation effort” was denied, according to a Pentagon official.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wash Post:

As of late Tuesday, U.S. officials said they were unsure of Mullin’s location. Mullin’s office did not respond to multiple requests for comment before this story published. After it published, Meredith Blanford, a spokeswoman for Mullin, put out a statement saying that Mullin “has been and is currently completely safe” and that he and his office “will continue to do anything in our power to bring home all Americans from the war zone that President Biden abandoned.” The statement said the office had no further comment.

“To say this is extremely dangerous is a massive understatement,” said a State Department official who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the sensitive situation.

The State Department reissued a Level 4 travel advisory for the country on Monday urging Americans not to travel there “due to civil unrest, armed conflict, crime, terrorism, kidnapping, and COVID-19.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com...238a1404d_story.html

update :

Rep. Markwayne Mullin, R-Okla., whose whereabouts were unknown as he was on a reported trip to rescue Americans from Afghanistan, says he is safe and on his way back to the U.S.

"I am heading home," Mullin said in a Wednesday morning post.
"Have we been helping get Americans out of Afghanistan, yes.
Is the mission continuing, yes.
Am I missing, no.
Did I go dark for a little, yes because it wasn't safe to be communicating."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sdy,

Posts: 19603 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
quote:

I believe this guy's cheese may have slid off his cracker...
He should have skipped the part about Bell Weather Alliance.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
The U.S. left Bagram on 2 July 2021.

biden's call to Ghani was on 23 July 2021.

biden tells Ghani there is a "perception problem" that things are not going well in the fight against the taliban

right then it was known the idea of a cooperative govt of the Ghani govt and the taliban was never going to happen

Bagram should have been the last place we left. And only once we knew the taliban were not going to take Afghanistan over by force.

Ghani was an academic. He was a professor of anthropology. He was the dean of Kabul University.

From 2017/2018:
"after many terror attacks in Afghanistan which were largely blamed on Pakistan, and failed Taliban peace talks, Ghani grew increasingly cold to Pakistan. Ghani claimed that Pakistan had hit an "undeclared war of aggression" against Afghanistan. Following two deadly Taliban/Haqqani attacks in Kabul in January 2018, Ghani called Pakistan the "center of the Taliban"

wiki

Posts: 19603 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
For those who like to claim that Biden was bound by President Trump’s withdrawal plan and couldn’t understand the obvious for themselves based on the facts of the situation, an explanatory opinion piece from The Wall Street Journal:

=====================================================

No, Trump Didn’t Force Biden’s Withdrawal
The Taliban violated the Doha agreement, so the U.S. could have stayed.

By S. Paul Kapur

The Biden administration has consistently blamed the Trump administration’s 2020 Doha agreement with the Taliban for the Afghanistan debacle. The agreement, the Biden team insists, left the president no choice but to remove U.S. forces unconditionally from Afghanistan by Aug. 31. In fact, President Biden’s failure to hold the Taliban to the terms of the Doha agreement contributed to this disaster.

The agreement promised the Taliban an earlier U.S. departure, by May 1, 2021, in return for a pledge that they would prevent the use of Afghanistan soil by any group against the security of the U.S. and its allies. Mr. Biden managed to extend the date by four months but was still bound by the basic terms of the agreement. The Biden administration believed that if the U.S. failed to remove forces by Aug. 31, the Taliban could renege on their commitment and allow attacks on U.S. troops remaining in the country, so the only way for the U.S. to avoid this danger was to withdraw, honoring its end of the Doha deal in the hope that the Taliban would spare American forces.

The Biden administration has made this contrived argument repeatedly, and Mr. Biden reiterated it at a press conference last week, following the deaths of 13 U.S. service members in Kabul. But the administration misrepresents the Doha agreement. The U.S. promised to withdraw from Afghanistan by May 1, 2021, but only if the Taliban met commitments of their own. One of them was a pledge to participate in an “intra-Afghan dialogue,” to achieve a “permanent and comprehensive ceasefire” and to agree upon a “political roadmap” for Afghanistan’s future. If the Taliban didn’t honor this commitment, the U.S. had no obligation to withdraw.

Trump administration officials emphasized the conditional nature of the U.S. commitment when the Doha agreement was signed. As Defense Secretary Mark Esper put it in March 2020, Doha “is a conditions-based agreement.” If “we assess that the Taliban is honoring the terms of the deal,” including “progress on the political front between the Taliban and the current Afghan government,” the U.S. will “reduce our presence toward a goal of zero in 2021.” But Mr. Esper made clear that the American withdrawal wouldn’t be automatic. “If progress stalls,” he warned, “then our drawdown likely will be suspended, as well.” The Taliban didn’t honor its political commitments and ultimately took Afghanistan by force. The Biden administration’s claim that the Doha agreement left no choice but to quit Afghanistan unconditionally is false.

Given the Taliban’s behavior, the U.S. wasn’t obligated to withdraw by May 1, by Aug. 31, or any other date. Withdrawal was a choice. And the Biden administration’s announcement of this choice in April triggered the Taliban offensive to retake Afghanistan and set the disastrous U.S. departure in motion. Neither the Doha agreement nor its implementation was perfect. Even former members of the Trump administration argue that it failed to protect the interests of the Afghan government adequately and put too much faith in the Taliban’s willingness to share power. In addition, these critics maintain that President Trump’s determination to reduce U.S. forces, despite the Taliban’s failure to honor its commitments, undermined the agreement and strengthened the Taliban’s position. But under the terms of the agreement, Mr. Biden could have insisted that the Taliban meet its obligations or face renewed U.S. military pressure.

The Biden administration’s hope to succeed where others had failed, finally ending America’s long war in Afghanistan, apparently blinded it to the pitfalls of committing to an unconditional withdrawal from Afghanistan by a date certain. The administration’s subsequent attempts to shift blame to the Trump administration have led it to misrepresent the Doha agreement and to claim falsely that it made an avoidable disaster inevitable. This falsehood has exacerbated the current crisis. [Emphasis added.]

Mr. Kapur is a visiting fellow at the Hoover Institution and is a Vandenberg Coalition Adviser. He served on the State Department’s Policy Planning staff, 2020-21.

LINK

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47413 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"A mistake, always, just a mistake."

Funny, isn't it, how the "mistakes" never fall our way? What are the odds, huh?

Posts: 107721 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Something tells me this Lt.Col is going to have an unfortunate accident in the coming weeks.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You've been here long enough to know you shouldn't something like that in this forum.

We're not living in a spy novel.

Posts: 107721 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Oklahoma Congressman Missing After Secret Rescue Attempt in Afghanistan

Can we get a group buy on 545 plane tickets to Kandahar?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31483 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nancy Pelosi Blocks House from Reading Names of 13 Killed U.S. Servicemembers

https://www.breitbart.com/poli...u-s-service-members/

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) on Tuesday blocked the House from publicly reading the names of the 13 killed U.S. service members in Afghanistan, House Republicans said.

Rep. Brian Mast (R-FL) told the Floridan that Pelosi ignored the Republicans’ request to read the names, instead she “just closed the House down.”

“We gaveled in, had a prayer, said the Pledge of Allegiance, took a moment of silence with pretty much all Republican veterans, then asked to be recognized to read names and bring up Afghanistan legislation,” Mast told the Floridian. “They did not acknowledge us, and just closed the House down.”

Rep. Carlos A. Gimenez (R-FL) tweeted a rhetorical question of whether Pelosi is attempting “to cover up” the Afghan debacle by not allowing the names to be read publicly on the floor.

“How badly do Nancy Pelosi and the House Democrats want to cover up this Afghanistan debacle?” Gimenez asked. “They just blocked Members of Congress from reading the names of the service members who sacrificed their lives in Afghanistan last week. Don’t you think our military deserves better?”

Rep. Greg Steube (R-FL) criticized Pelosi’s decision of ignoring Republicans’ requests by suggesting the incident is an example of “how far our nation has fallen.”

“House Democrats just refused to recognize Republican veterans on the House Floor to read the names of our fallen service members in Afghanistan. That’s how far our nation has fallen,” Steube said.

Posts: 12733 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
How petty do you have to be to block this? One could argue that the session should go into overtime if necessary to recognize the sacrifices made by these service members.

One day, before I die, I hope to piss on Nancy's grave.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12754 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First I've heard of this; CA students in AFG left behind? From a video linked to the story, FOX is picking it up also.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...r-AANZfdJ?li=BBnbcA1

Posts: 3226 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
It seems some people, particularly morons like Psaki, have this idea that all American citizens were in Kabul and, you know, just a short Uber ride from the airport. The fact is there are Americans scattered all throughout Afghanistan and most certainly are stranded in a very real sense of that word.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30429 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post