SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    US Embassy Alerts All Americans To Depart Afghanistan "Immediately" As More Provincial Capitals Fall
Page 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 103
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US Embassy Alerts All Americans To Depart Afghanistan "Immediately" As More Provincial Capitals Fall Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
All the king's horses and all the kings men....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29734 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akcopnfbks:
Pretty good letter, and not wrong. Written by a couple of Army Rangers. Curious what people think.

I know Griff and his wife, they both graduated from West Point in '01; during Acceptance Day, it rained, as the legend goes, should it rain on that day, they class will go to war...4-months later. Good people who have BTDT.

He's spot-on.

Posts: 14699 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
I'm not convinced this was a fuck up, but rather part of a bigger plan. What better way to equip them? You can also be guaranteed they'll be sending plane loads of cash to buy "safe passage" for those still needing to be "evacuated."

Posts: 1816 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
I'm not faulting him for goint to Camp David, that place is very capable of Command and Control.

What I am faulting him for is not seeing this coming. Most Presidents surround themselves with intelligent people for advice for these type of situations.

Biden surrounded himself with SPED students.

Going to Camp David is one thing,
Running away to Camp David to hide under your bed because people are going to ask you some hard questions is something totally different!

Droolin Joe hid! Instead of standing in front of a podium and telling the people WTF is going on... This bitch tucked tail and ran.
Then to later on make a statement along the lines of: "Just because you're an American, doesn't mean you're getting out first."
Fuck you Joey, Motherfuck you.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8369 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
What’s the minimum effective range of an RPG?

Am I the only one who doesn't see any of the images you post? You post a bunch, I never see any and don't see anyone else pointing it out.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6853 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
We go in and kill them, kill their families, destroy everything they own.
I've been thinking about this for some time. I think this is a mistake and an application of outdated thinking (i.e. boots on the ground). Follow along with me for a moment. What the world needs right now is decisiveness. Actions that are so huge, so finite, and yes, so violent, that the entire world will sit up and pay close attention. WWII was brought to a screeching halt by exactly this. President Truman, through great courage and fortitude, ordered two nuclear strikes on Japan. That act jarred the entire world and exhibited for everyone on this rock what a true Super Power was capable of. The death and devastation served not only to end the current war, but as an enduring warning of what was possible. Pin-point, targeted actions and a cowardice for doing what is necessary to bring this to a halt has engulfed the US and emboldened our enemies as they know we no longer have the courage to do what is necessary. People around the world have forgotten what 'real', permanent, overwhelming, action looks like. They need to be reminded again. As Para mentioned maybe jokingly a few pages back, A-stan offers the perfect location to once again show the world what a real Super Power is capable of. All we're lacking now is the courage necessary to re-establish order through decisive and extreme action.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
I find that you can right click the broken image icon and "Open Image in a New Tab" and view them. Something about the image host site not wanting to allow viewing in a web page/blog maybe?

quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
quote:

Am I the only one who doesn't see any of the images you post? You post a bunch, I never see any and don't see anyone else pointing it out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:

This was pointed out when the site transitioned to https

I use Brave (Chrome based) and there is a setting you can change to display the images.

Under settings->privacy and security->Site and Shields Settings

You can setup "insecure content" to "allow" for this site.

OR
Click on the triangle that says not secure, or padlock on a page without images next to the URL, and select site settings.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6220 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
So we have ~6000 US troops holding the perimeter of an airport, surrounded by hostile forces.

Has no one heard of Dien Bien Phu? This could go very very wrong, very very quickly.

Posts: 2328 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
What’s the minimum effective range of an RPG?...

What do you mean, African, or European RPG?

He is pointing it into the doorway, not the guy up against the wall.

And about 15-20 feet to arm the grenade once it leaves the launcher.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoungeChair:
quote:
Really! No, it wasn't going to end up like this. It was done for political reasons, not what was best. Trump wanted to withdraw, but it was going to be gradual, not GTFO in in 24 hours.

No, not 24 hours, 14 months starting Feb.29,2020. The exit date negotiated by the Trump administration with the Taliban (or as they called them 'The Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan') was May 1, 2021.

Here is the deal in writing: Agreement for Bringing Peace to Afghanistan between the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan which is not recognized by the United States as a state and is known as the Taliban and the United States of America

Some of the highlights of this agreement between the Trump administration and the Taliban were:
1) All Taliban prisoners released by June 1, 2020
2) Removing all sanctions against the Taliban by Aug 27, 2020
3)Engaging with with UN Security Council to remove all UN sanctions against the Taliban.
4) Withdrawing all US and coalition forces from Afghanistan by May 1, 2021.

The Trump administration received these promises from the Taliban (some may laugh at "promises from the Taliban", but the Trump administration seemed to think they were honest guys):
1) Don't allow terrorist groups (bad guys) to operate from Afghanistan
2) Don't cooperate with bad guys
3) DOn't fund raise for bad guys
4) Don't provide asylum to bad guys
5) Don't provide travel documents to bad guys.

Say what you want about Biden's poor understanding of the actual security situation, he was just executing the deal Trump made with the Taliban.
As far as keeping troops in the country, that ship had sailed a long time ago when Trump inked the deal with the Taliban.

You left put what we got: zero hostile fire deaths of any American solider at the hands of the Taliban since Feb 8 2020.

It was time to go. The exfil was poorly planned the war was poorly managed. We went about a lot of things the wrong way for the wrong reasons. But the deal to stop flag draped coffins from coming back between and leaving was a good one.

Also note how comparatively little violence there has been since/during the handover.

Posts: 99 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:

This was pointed out when the site transitioned to https

I use Brave (Chrome based) and there is a setting you can change to display the images.

Under settings->privacy and security->Site and Shields Settings

You can setup "insecure content" to "allow" for this site.

OR
Click on the triangle that says not secure, or padlock on a page without images next to the URL, and select site settings.

Off-topic, but thanks for the settings adjustment.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15394 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
I can't even imagine what's going through his (and everyone else's) mind and hope he can find a way to cope with this. I'm sure this is the same exact sentiment of our Vietnam-era brothers and sisters.

The VA system started sending emails to veterans over the weekend with suicide prevention materials related to this fiasco. There are a lot of folks that were already guilt ridden about Afghanistan, this is just making it that much worse. I'd expect a very heavy uptick in Operation Enduring Freedom suicides in the coming weeks. If anyone knows someone that was in the Afghan theater, make an effort to reach out to them.

Posts: 2836 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Link

I think the minimum arming distance is 5 meters or so. Not that this wasn't a rhetorical question.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Guys, please stop quoting those pictures. There's no reason for the same image to appear twice on any page of a thread. Think of the people browsing on devices with small screens. You don't want to scroll past all that.

Posts: 107758 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
... If anyone knows someone that was in the Afghan theater, make an effort to reach out to them.

Well said.

Been in touch with them recently.

If nothing else, it will let them know that someone is thinking about them and that they are not alone.

Posts: 9173 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my USAF career, there were times when I could look into the Alert Area and see the engines running on 6 nuke loaded B-52s. And I knew that every other SAC base world wide had engines running, too. We have the power to eliminate threats to the US in a most definitive way. We now lack the national will to eliminate our enemies in a manner that clearly tells the world we will not tolerate threats to our country or attacks on it. Part and parcel of this lack of will is failing to hold accountable the "leaders" of any country that shelters or aids terrorists, prepares for war against us or publicly threatens us. Do any of these actions as a leader and you should put your life on the line.
Without a strong national will to defend ourselves, we have these small wars that bleed us of people and treasure. And inevitably end up the way this current situation is playing out.
To all who served in these shitholes since 9-11, you have my thanks and never ending respect. Given your blood, sacrifice and toil, it must be heartbreaking for our Vets to see this play out.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16132 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
In my USAF career, there were times when I could look into the Alert Area and see the engines running on 6 nuke loaded B-52s. And I knew that every other SAC base world wide had engines running, too. We have the power to eliminate threats to the US in a most definitive way. We now lack the national will to eliminate our enemies in a manner that clearly tells the world we will not tolerate threats to our country or attacks on it. Part and parcel of this lack of will is failing to hold accountable the "leaders" of any country that shelters or aids terrorists, prepares for war against us or publicly threatens us. Do any of these actions as a leader and you should put your life on the line.
Without a strong national will to defend ourselves, we have these small wars that bleed us of people and treasure. And inevitably end up the way this current situation is playing out.
To all who served in these shitholes since 9-11, you have my thanks and never ending respect. Given your blood, sacrifice and toil, it must be heartbreaking for our Vets to see this play out.

You are absolutely right about our unwillingness to use maximum violence in war. To see the B52 elephant walk is to witness the most awesome display of force on the planet, but for it to be a deterrence, they have to believe you will use it.

I was on a week of active duty on 9/11, giving a threat briefing to a unit deploying to the desert. Right after the attack I couldn't get a flight home and was driving my rental car home to pack bags. I spoke to my wife on the phone and clearly recall telling her that I hoped America had the fortitude to finish the job this time, not turn tail like we did in Vietnam. I spent 6 years back on Active Duty. Little did I know then how this would turn out. Many Afghanistan veterans will have a hard time with this debacle, as well as it has ripped open old wounds for Vietnam veterans.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
... If anyone knows someone that was in the Afghan theater, make an effort to reach out to them.

Well said.

Been in touch with them recently.

If nothing else, it will let them know that someone is thinking about them and that they are not alone.

I was there and 15 years later, our son. We have been in contact. Pissed off doesn't beging to describe it.

Posts: 7023 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
So we have ~6000 US troops holding the perimeter of an airport, surrounded by hostile forces.

Has no one heard of Dien Bien Phu? This could go very very wrong, very very quickly.

French Foreign Legion didn't have nearly the amount airpower to back them up, we do. Not to mention there's likely 70-80k foreign nationals in-country they'd have to deal with.

Taliban needs the int'l press to broadcast all their 'triumphs' to the world, holding foreign hostages wouldn't be a good look as they attempt to reassert themselves.

For all the information that has come out, the Taliban are preoccupied searching for those who worked for the Afghan govt and anybody who was allies with the US and ISAF partners. Everyone else is free to go and move about...within the confines of roadblocks and checkpoints. If they want a fight, they very much know that we'll give it right back to them, thus, they've avoided any confrontations with us.

Posts: 14699 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post