SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hats can get expensive, can't they?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hats can get expensive, can't they? Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I bought a pimp hat when I was in the navy. It looked good on me for not being black.

Most I've spent now is about 16 bucks for a costco hat to keep the sun off my head when I'm golfing.

I can't wear baseball hats. They're mostly too small for my head and they don't stay.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20021 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I was surprised to observe the difference in 'how people treat you' when wearing different hats.

This was over a year effort, in the mid 1970s-so long ago, yet the study was intriguing.

Moving recently to the PNW the need for head wear become obvious in the wetter climate. Had never worn hats much until then. Started with one style, then a variety grew depending on what I was doing at the time...outdoor work, casual, which rig I drove (hat room) etc.

Had adopted a construction hard-hat for some of my activities, and various 'news boy' flat hats, a finely built leather cowboy style, the 'trucker-baseball' type. The BIG change came with acquiring an actual Amish style black

I was used to people getting rather up close and having a direct speaking style. Wearing my Amish hat, most would adopt a rather curious stand-back and eyes not engaging directly, almost a more respectful countenance. I could wear my hard hat & observe complete change into brisk & more verbally assertive tone.

My authentic Stetson was bought used at the Wisdom Mt gun show about 35 years ago. It's my chore hat and getting a bit long in tooth.

Current favorite of the last decade+ is my high-dome derby, which seems to generate smiles or actual pleasant comments, generally from the wimmin folk.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
My wife will be home soon and I'll have her take a picture.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31440 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I've spent up to $200 in the past. Most of my "Steampunk" hats start modest and then get "add on's" that increase the cost (or value), take your pick.

Straw Steampunk Top Hat:

Voodoo hat:

Steampunk Derby

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
$75 1988 dollars, Stetson.
Wonderful hat, a working hat... not for stepping out.

Kept the sun out of my eyes and the rain off my neck.

Back when I was taking care of livestock in my teens.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7185 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
My hands etc are too shaky to get a decent picture.
Sorry.

If one of the daughters comes over, I will let them try.

Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I do like my hat BTW.
Given my situation, family time means a lot these days, so on Friday, I am taking the daughters and the wife to Greeley Hat and have family hat day!

Everyone gets a hat on Friday.
I think it will be fun.

But no, excepting the wife, 1,000 dollar hats are out of the question.
300 to 400 dollar hats are acceptable for the daughters, however.

posted Hide Post
I must admit, I'm looking forward to this. Can't wait to see the new hats. And happy birthday eve!

Posts: 799 | Location: NH | Registered: July 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I think this will be another family bonding moment, I hope so anyway.
The girls all seem interested.

I am not sure if we are doing custom or off the shelf.

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Tease.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
OK, not a very good photo, it's raining.

posted Hide Post
I like it! That color is real warm and even. Sounds weird, but it also goes really well with the counter tops. Looks like it will serve you well.

Posts: 799 | Location: NH | Registered: July 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Awesome hat lbj

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4889 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
It looks better in person.
Yes, it's a warm even color.

crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that's pretty sweet. I like it.

Posts: 1795 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I have a Drizabone Topender

http://everythingaustralian.co...avyweight-brown.html

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14146 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
The most I've spent on a hat is about $100 for a "Head N Home Crusher Outback Leather Hat". It is my favorite hat, though.

Posts: 1518 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Looks great! How do you like it? Fit good?

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I have not wore a 'good' hat in some time, but I enjoy doing so. While not custom, there is a Gorin Bros. in Minneapolis; so inspired by this thread I went and picked up this Ruby Clark. I have always liked the style, and it will be my official campfire, cigar smoking, light drizzle hat.

http://www.goorin.com/

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12403 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSlaug
posted Hide Post
Winter: Akubra Banjo Patterson. Love the hat and great for winter wear in both rain and snow, but it's too hot for me in really warm weather.
Summer: Tilley LTM6. Rotate thru a couple of these during the heat of our summers in DFW.

Posts: 135 | Location: Flower Mound, TX | Registered: July 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post