SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hats can get expensive, can't they?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hats can get expensive, can't they? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My most expensive hat was about $250. I'm careful with it.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
I have to wear my hats low on my forehead

According to Jerry Hall, that is a socially accepted practice:

A thumb high above my ear and a finger above my eyebrow. I don’t want to be Deputy Dawg but I don’t want it touching my ear either. And then across the eyebrow? That’s a cowboy thing, a little social thing. No man can see what I’m looking at unless I want him to see my eyes.

A watch cap I had made in bison wool was about a hundred bucks. Some of my shoes are fairly high as well, but when they hit a decade old, the cost becomes significantly cheaper than the cheap shoes which fall apart.

Reading over the thread last night I guessed $1,200. Handmade does not come cheap. Bespoke shoes and suits especially.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I would be looking at a fishing hat with the flap in the back to protect your neck. Stetsons are too hot in the summertime and you want a light weight cloth hat.

http://www.cabelas.com/categor...g-Hats/103919580.uts

They also make a sun protection supplement for your skin:

http://www.lifeextension.com/V...em01938/Shade-Factor

Posts: 11892 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Show us some photos when it arrives.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Grew up after JFK's going hatless broke the then-current fashion requirement of men wearing hats essentially all the time. Have never lived in cowboy hat areas where the fashion lives on.

So, for me, it's baseball hats as functional eyeshading where necessary. Thus to answer the question, my historical per-hat spending has never really gotten past very low two digits.

Now, if things changed and I had to for medical purposes, as in the OP, I'd get a nice one and pay the going rate.

Posts: 15144 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think some may understand the price of a custom hat.

I could go cheaper, but then again, it's like my new Ford Escape that's on order... as in my last one, so I am going big and it doesn't break the bank.
I am blessed that way.

Personally, I have never worn hats my whole life cuz they never fit and won't stay on.

Now I have to wear a hat because the medication I am on has left my skin sun sensitive and I break out.... enter the hat.
If I have to wear a hat, I might as well enjoy it as much as I can.
Leastwise until somebody steals it. It's gonna look that good.

I don't seem to have a problem forking over a thousand dollars on another firearm, so I figured why not a quality hat instead.

If you want it, and can afford it, what other justification can there be?

In these parts, it used to be normal for a prosperous man to have as part of his "uniform" a Stetson of highest quality, very expensive. Giving one as a gift to someone you owed a favor to, or hoped to receive a favor from, wasn't unheard of, either.

It isn't so much so these days, because of car seats, mostly.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I can't remember exactly how much but I spent around $150 for a Stetson beaver hat many years ago. It's still like new. Admittedly I don't wear it much anymore.

Jim

Yeah, I paid about that much for a Bailey about 25, or so, years ago, then promptly spent another $250 for a turquoise and silver hat band.

Might have worn it 3-4 times after we got back here from Arizona. Actually toying with the idea of wearing on my trip to Idaho. I will need a hat to protect my face from Rosacea.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Around $150 for a 6x Resistol in belly silver. It was for uniform wear (required in Class A, optional in Class B) and I babied it while I had the job.

Thankfully it doesn't scream "uniform" so in the 25 years since I left that job, I've gotten plenty of wear out of it.

Posts: 2521 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
I went with the top of line in the material aspect, it's a mix of beaver and mink.
Stunning really.
The color is a dark grayish brownish black.

I am not am willing to post up the price.
And yes, more than anyone has posted so far.

The store is Greeley Hat, brick and motar.
They had five long rows of hats to look at, each row going up gets progressively more expensive.

I never should have asked to see the ones at the top, 11 feet up off the floor.
Then I decided on their top of the line and do custom made from scratch.

I'll have to run down and see the place. I contacted them a few years back about a hat, then ended up going another direction. I still get occasional emails and newsletters from them. Sounds like a great store.

I have always tried to have two good hats--a black and a silverbelly. I've worn Resistols for 40 years and my silverbelly hat is a Resistol. I saw a deal on my black hat that I couldn't pass up--it's a Seratelli 10x and has been OK, but I'll probably replace it with Resistol Black Gold, unless I'm tempted away by visiting Greeley Hat Co.

I have never had much luck with straw hats. In order to stay on when outside horseback, they have to be pretty well mashed down on your head. Very little give to a straw hat and the result is a headache.

ETA: I really had no idea that custom hat makers added mink fur to their highest quality hats. Curious as to what your hat would have cost with just a high percentage of beaver alone. Do you know?

Sounds like you're feeling better, lbj; I certainly hope that's the case.

Posts: 13565 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enjoy Computer Living
Picture of LoungeChair
posted Hide Post
I was visiting Paul's Hat Works in San Francisco in the mid 80's when I saw a guy contemplating two Montecristi Panama hats. One cost $1800 and the other was $5000. I remember it cost about the same as the newly introduced (to America) Hyundai excel. I was totally shocked.

-Loungechair

Posts: 676 | Registered: October 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
We've got a custom hat maker in a little town just north of me. Up until now I've never had the nerve to go in but you might have pushed me over the edge.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
IIRC, 1K isn't all THAT much to spend on a nice hat. I've seen several custom makers that blow that number away. Heck, just because I haven't spent that much yet doesn't mean I wouldn't spend it on a nice hat, especially if SWMBO wasn't performing oversight on me. I think custom anything is a lifetime investment, so buy once cry once.

Post us up some pics when you get it.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6391 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
Handmade custom 100% beaver.
Rocky Mountain Hat Company in Fairplay, Colorado.

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 656 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What would soncorn do?
Picture of soncorn
posted Hide Post
My most expensive is a MacKenzie from Hills Hats of New Zealand.

http://www.hillshats.co.nz/col...ns/mackenzie-oilskin

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

Posts: 1387 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: October 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoungeChair:
I was visiting Paul's Hat Works in San Francisco in the mid 80's when I saw a guy contemplating two Montecristi Panama hats. One cost $1800 and the other was $5000. I remember it cost about the same as the newly introduced (to America) Hyundai excel. I was totally shocked.

I have a Montecristi Panama (from Ecuador, of course) that was my father-in-law's. If you had to buy it now, it would cost in the $1000 to $1500 range. The weaving is incredibly fine and evenly done, all done by hand, as is all the other finishing work. There aren't 20 people in the world who do that weaving.

Unfortunately, the hat doesn't fit me.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
So you see a difference then. I did too.
Darn that top shelf.

Hmmm, a Hyundai Excel, a Yugo, or a hat...
I will take the hat.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31440 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I've got 2 custom hats dating back to my cowboy action shooting days. The first one is my black one made by D Bar J out of Las Vegas. It's a low crown with a slight bell, wide brimmed design. Think of something that the Earp Brothers may have worn in Tombstone and you would be close. It's more of a formal hat and being black it doesn't get worn outside in the summertime. They hand measured my head and built the hat using their "Long Oval" pattern.

The other is my light tan one made by Colorado Mountain Hat Company out of FairPlay, Colorado. It's a telescoped crowned wide brimmed hat. It's more of a "working hat" with a braided horsehair band and stampede straps. Back in the late 1800's, hat styles were a regional thing often coming from functionality. In the southwest, low crowns and wide brims were popular. The wide brim to shade the face and the low crown to minimize the build up of hot air in the hat. Mine was custom measured using their, "Fitterer". A strange contraption with multiple pins like you described that is used to make a pattern. It is by far the best fitting hat I've ever owned.

Yes, they were expensive, but not near what you paid, mine are no doubt a lower quality felt. A quality hat if taken care will last a long time. Being custom fit it won't blow off in the wind. I've got one of my dad's Stetson straws that I break out every now and then. I wish I knew what became of my grandfather's silver belly Stetson.

My grandfather lived with us growing up and would take frequent trips out to California to see the other branch of his family there. Being set in his ways, he refused to get on a plane and always took the train. I still have memories of taking him to Union Station in Denver, the high ceilings, ginormous arched windows, heavy wooden high back bench seats and the crappy cafe in the corner. Taking the train was an event for him and he had to dress appropriately. It was always his silver belly Stetson and light blue whip cord suit. Quite the contrast to the shorts and flips flops that most people wore on my Southwest flight up to Denver last month.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11884 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I remember dressing up as a child in the late fifties and sixties when traveling by train or plane.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31440 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I spent around 60 or so for a leather BC Australian style hat. And around 50 for a felt style from a hat shop in Phoenix.

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
I'm familiar with the hat shop in Greeley. As I recall, they have made hats for presidents....at least George Bush, I believe?

I've also been in this hat shop in Billings, MT, and I think they use the same head measuring apparatus. Pretty funky device.

http://www.randhats.com/

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post