SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hats can get expensive, can't they?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hats can get expensive, can't they? Login/Join 
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
less than 100 bucks

Posts: 8178 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've spent way more than any amount listed so far...
Being a long time cowboy hat wearer, I'd like to offer a few suggestions. If you live in a hot and dry climate (like the southwest), you would probably get the most use out of a light colored fur felt with a very tall crown (that is higher than the top of your head) and wide flat brim (more shade protection). The tall crown will act as a cool zone and keep you cooler than a low crown. The color is self explanatory. I have tried straw cowboy hats, but the typical heavily lacquered ones are hotter than the above fur one; they tend to be low crown as well (avoid cattleman creases if you can). If you do decide on straw, try to find a palm straw without any lacquer and again, tall crowned and wide brimmed. This later type hat can also work in hot, humid climates (like the southeast), probably better than fur felt, also. If you live in a windy climate, take the hat to a local shoe repair place and get some brass eyelets put in the brim professionally and run a leather stampede string through them to keep it on in the wind. Hope this helps! Any more questions, please ask!

Posts: 344 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Never been a fan of cowboy boots or cowboy hats. The boots tough to walk in and somewhat uncomfortable.

The hats a PITA to store and tough in the wind. Just don't get the affinity for them.

And both more expensive than I can rationalize.

Interesting my Ariat boots are the 2nd most comfortable pair of footwear I have ever owned.
Only being beat out by Adidas Adilette Sandals. I estimate I have likely owned close to 30 pairs over the years. Currently still have 7 in the rotation.

As for the hat, I spent $200 bucks on a Stetson in High School on a trip to Colorado Springs. Still have it but have not worn it in about 10 years.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25674 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
'Bout $150 for a Panama style. Dropped about the same on a Badger fur trapper style too. I've been Jonesing for a Stetson Stratoliner for some time now. I've got a Booner of a head so it hard to pick them up just anywhere.

I like hats.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5236 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a nice hat. Be sure to post pics when you get it.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5794 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://thelastbestwest.com/cowboy-hats/

I have 3 from them, around 10 years old. Great product and they were easy to deal with. Cannot unequivocally say they still are, but check them out.
And, around $400 for the most expensive.

Posts: 1106 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11090 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I went with the top of line in the material aspect, it's a mix of beaver and mink.
Stunning really.
The color is a dark grayish brownish black.

I am not am willing to post up the price.
And yes, more than anyone has posted so far.

The store is Greeley Hat, brick and motar.
They had five long rows of hats to look at, each row going up gets progressively more expensive.

I never should have asked to see the ones at the top, 11 feet up off the floor.
Then I decided on their top of the line and do custom made from scratch.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31440 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trust me LBJ I have spent some good money and waited for a custom hat.
Nothing like a hand made hat for the head.
Did you get to pick the hat band also?
I got one from Kevin just before he passed away.

https://ofarrellhatco.com/

Posts: 1153 | Location: western, Washington | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I had one made for me in all beaver. My melon is huge - buying a ready made hat leaves me with very few options. It was pricey, but worth it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
You're going to be a trendsetter with the new look. Can't wait for the pictures.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8760 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Hat shopping is just like Holster shopping.

Exactly like holster shopping. what works for one person may not work for the next person. You get what you pay for. You buy a cheap hat, it sits in the closet with the rest of the cheap hats, but if you get lucky, you pay more money and get an EDC hat. It won't be an Uncle Mike's.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11090 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
On the subject, how are the straw hats in really hot sun? Stetson and Resistol regular 10x straw

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
I am not am willing to post up the price.

May I ask why? No shame. It's your money.

Year V

Posts: 2672 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bearstarr:
Did you get to pick the hat band also?

I already have a hat band to use and it works well.
This hat will be a super upscale replica hat of the one Eastwood wore in Fistful of Dollars.
But a different color.

I have a sloping forehead like Neanderthal or something.
I have to wear my hats low on my forehead and they have to be very tight, or the slightest breeze knocks them off me.

Off the shelf is simply not working.

OK, the cost is a thousand dollars, so go ahead and laugh.

Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Only laughing at your hesitation! Smile

Year V

Posts: 2672 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I don't think some may understand the price of a custom hat.

I could go cheaper, but then again, it's like my new Ford Escape that's on order... as in my last one, so I am going big and it doesn't break the bank.
I am blessed that way.

Personally, I have never worn hats my whole life cuz they never fit and won't stay on.

Now I have to wear a hat because the medication I am on has left my skin sun sensitive and I break out.... enter the hat.
If I have to wear a hat, I might as well enjoy it as much as I can.
Leastwise until somebody steals it. It's gonna look that good.

I don't seem to have a problem forking over a thousand dollars on another firearm, so I figured why not a quality hat instead.

posted Hide Post
I understand why, its just like buying a hand tailored suit or shoes.
As you say some people will pay more than that for a gun with not thinking about it.

Posts: 1153 | Location: western, Washington | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dubya
posted Hide Post
I have a mink/beaver Stetson I bought over 40 years ago that is my most comfortable and still looks great. It gets worn frequently in the winter. It wasn't inexpensive 40 years ago.

I have others I've added over the years - Stetson and Resistol - in varying colors and styles. Like boots, some hats fit the task.

I hope your new hat serves you well LBJ! Smile

Sons of the Republic of Texas, NRA, TSRA
God Bless America

Posts: 4075 | Location: The Great Lone Star State, Texas | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Good stuff costs money.
You need a hat, so why not get a good one.

Hope you post a photo soon. I would love to see it.

Posts: 1795 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post