SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hats can get expensive, can't they?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hats can get expensive, can't they? Login/Join 
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted
What's the most you have spent on a hat?
Just curious.

The medication I am on causes my face to break out in the sun.
Enter an el cheapo replica hat like Eastwood wore in a Fistful of Dollars.

I am liking the style so much, I am having a custom hat made to replicate the replica.
It's going to be made with a special mink/beaver mix in a color called "mink", which is a dark grayish brown black.
It's the top line of the top line.

It's going to be stunning, but the price?
Owwwww.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31440 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wear a hat with a brim made by Tilley's . It is a Canadian brand.

URL: http://www.tilley.com/us_en/ca...SPp9MCFQe2wAodW0wAmg

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I can't remember exactly how much but I spent around $150 for a Stetson beaver hat many years ago. It's still like new. Admittedly I don't wear it much anymore.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Last 20x Resistol was about $350, might have caught a sale, not sure.

Posts: 13565 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
It's too bad I can't get priced by the size.
I have a small head apparently, 7 even.

I have to go the custom route because my head is tapered oddly.
The store uses a rather strange metal device/crown from 1904 with all vertical rods every 1/8 inch in a circle.

Boy my head has some flat areas, no wonder standard is a poor fit.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31440 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
check out the Tom Horn style or the robert Duval lonesome dove style.

in 20x or 30 x beaver

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55177 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might want to visit a site called Fedora Lounge. More WW2 era styles but there are some very good looking hats there. If I recall there are several makers or at least links to them. Yes custom built hats are not cheap but they fit right and last.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2939 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
I paid $70 for a guy to create a digital file of the Magnum PI VMO2 Da Nang logo because I wanted it embroidered instead of on a patch. Then add the cost of the hat and shipping and I spent over $100 for a baseball hat. It was worth it. I love that hat. Enjoy yours and please post a pic.

Year V

Posts: 2672 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Never been a fan of cowboy boots or cowboy hats. The boots tough to walk in and somewhat uncomfortable.

The hats a PITA to store and tough in the wind. Just don't get the affinity for them.

And both more expensive than I can rationalize.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
My Tilley is the most expensive hat I've bought at about $65.00 ish. While I'm not really a hat guy my bald spot and the FL sun dictates otherwise.

I got a Tilley because they are pretty much indestructible. I have lost track of how many times I have had to turn the boat around to fish it out of the water.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3900 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I had to buy a new Stetson after resuming my Texas residence. $250.

Don't laugh. The boots were even more!!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I wear straw panama hats all of the time to keep the sun off of my bald bean. I'll usually spend between $75 and $100. It's easy to find hats that cost many multiples of that.

Posts: 4094 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I used to work in a shop that was next door to a custom hatter. His cheap custom hats were $350. The good ones $600. I was fortunate enough to swap a police trade-in Model 10 for a $600 custom hat. It's too good to wear. Wink

I wear a boonie every day. When they start to draw gnats you can throw them in the washing machine, and they're cheap.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arfmel,

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I dunno man... that question struck me as kinda creepy. Big Grin

Posts: 21345 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Spent a good sum on a very nice straw Resistol for summer use. Kinda bums me out that it's impossible to wear one while driving these days because of the head rests!

My nicest is a Stetson, but I don't know what it cost as it was a gift from one of my best friends. And somewhat ironic as he got it by cashing in Marlboro points, as that's what killed him.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I have a couple Filson hats I love. They're my "lucky" fishing hats.

Neither is expensive, probably a $75-80 hat. Heavy canvas, looks good to me.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6391 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Although I don't wear them anymore, the most I ever spent on a hat was around $175 for a Stetson felt cowboy hat.

For working out in the yard, I just wear a hiking type hat which provide great coverage and are under $50.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8740 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Filson
Tilley (Florida hat)
Stormy Kromer (a requirement for Yoopers)

A man can not have too many hats. Or cats.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16381 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
I had to buy a new Stetson after resuming my Texas residence. $250.

Don't laugh. The boots were even more!!

Yeah, don't even start with the boots. My last Luccheses were cheap at $500. They've got some that go for 10 times that.

The Stetson Broken Bow was ~$280 (close to the Tom Horn style mentioned above).

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
I've got a couple of Tilleys. They are kinda expensive, but really great hats and I wear them a lot. They can be washed repeatedly and come out fine. Very comfortable. They will even stay on your head in a wind.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7213 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post