SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hats can get expensive, can't they?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hats can get expensive, can't they? Login/Join 
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
If it looked like a bird cage with moving rods, then yes, that's what they used.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31440 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That device is a conformateur. It makes a map of the cross section of your head. The hatter will then make a block in that exact shape and make your hat on it.

http://baldwinhats.com/how-to-order-a-hat/

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Yep, it looked much like that.

Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
That's the one. "Conformateur" - I now have a name to go with the device. Nowadays you would almost expect a 3D laser mapping unit of some sort instead of a throwback to olden days. Why fix what isn't broken, though.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
I just paid 21k for a nice red and black Mahindra ball cap. Of course it came with a free tractor.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dgshooter,

Posts: 841 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy once, cry once.

Those $$$ hats from the 80s still probly just as stylish now as then and still holding their. Alue ans usefulness. Not many 80's hyundais or Yugos still around.

I'm at a point in my life where I can afford to buy some nice things. I don't mind spending the $$ If it's going to last and I will enjoy it, I will open the wallet. Firearms. Higher end Watches. My son and future grandsons can fight over them. We have a rodeo every June in my town for almost 100 years now and even though we're in the Bay Area we're still a cow town in many ways. I've been in our western wear store ( family owned for about 100 years as well) and looked over the Stetson's. Under a glass case they have a 100x or Maybe it's 1000x beaver Stetson it's like 1500$ One day when I need a hat that badly. I would spend a bit to get something I know will last a while though. My dad has dropped several hundred for a Stetson and he's worn the same several hats for as long as I can remember.

Posts: 4956 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
100.00 for a tan Tilley, but I did buy it in Key West.

Posts: 170 | Registered: March 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
check out the Tom Horn style or the robert Duval lonesome dove style.

Check out these folks. Anybody who reaches any level of notariety in Central Texas gets themselves a custom hat from Texas Hatters. George Straight, Robert Duval and Tommy Lee Jones (Lonesome Dove), Stevie Ray Vaughn, Willie Nelson...you get the picture. Numerous recording artists, several movies and TV series and of course politicians. Most recently, Pierce Brosnan's hat in the TV series "The Son" was made by these folks.

http://www.texashatters.com

T-Boy

Posts: 499 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: September 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgshooter:
I just paid 21k for a nice red and black Mahindra ball cap. Of course it came with a free tractor.

Big Grin
so is it the hat? or the tractor that the chicks dig?
Smile

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55177 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I buy one cap, then wear it until I can't any more (usually the pot metal adjustment thing on the back breaks). Currently I've got a ball cap that I bought from the local indoor range in 2010. Paid like $15-30 for it.

I've worn it pretty much constantly since. It's just about properly worn in now.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3374 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
First choice for me is a boonies cap, then your basic ball cap. I treat them rough, and when they're ragged, I get a new one. I have lost several that have blown off my head, or been swept off while mowing under trees. The Woods mower deck gets them and I buy a new one. I guess I just don't wear hats formally. Very interesting thread, though.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T-Boy:
quote:
check out the Tom Horn style or the robert Duval lonesome dove style.

Check out these folks. Anybody who reaches any level of notariety in Central Texas gets themselves a custom hat from Texas Hatters. George Straight, Robert Duval and Tommy Lee Jones (Lonesome Dove), Stevie Ray Vaughn, Willie Nelson...you get the picture. Numerous recording artists, several movies and TV series and of course politicians. Most recently, Pierce Brosnan's hat in the TV series "The Son" was made by these folks.

http://www.texashatters.com

Oh man, that site is dangerous. There is quite a few that I like there.

Although with no prices listed, I'm reminded of the old saying "If you have to ask, you can't afford it"

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Probably the most expensive hats I've bought over the years were a Mouton Ushanka and a Resistol 4X Quicksilver. Not huge investments compared to some of those cited earlier in this thread.

But my issue has been changing tastes over the years. The Quicksilver, Larry Mahan Shantung and their ilk have long been retired along with the quarter horses we had decades ago.

I've found smaller 4.5" crown 3" brim hats to serve me much better these days. My favorite being the original, decade old iteration of the Australian Akubra Riverina in Fawn. Had two eyelets per side and a bound brim edge. The current "reintroduced" Riverina has a wider cut edge brim and 3 eyelets per side. Much prefer the original. This is more of a classic sportsman (angler and field sports) hat than western cowboy style. Probably the closest current Akubra models are their $175 Heritage Lawson or $155 Angler (neither pictured here).

Some folks have replaced the hatband on this hat with a "pugree" and "rebashed" it to give it a safari hat look. It was a very popular "mod" on the fedoralounge back in 2007.

Then there are the "flat caps" aka Ivys, Drivers, etc. I have a good number in a variety of materials: leather, suede, wool, summer knits, etc. My Göttmann black leather driving cap is probably my favorite.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16517 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:

My nicest is a Stetson, but I don't know what it cost as it was a gift from one of my best friends. And somewhat ironic as he got it by cashing in Marlboro points, as that's what killed him.

Funny guy. Back in the day I walked my dog and picked up marlboro packs. For the miles. So we got a new catalog and there was the hat if my dreams. A genuine Stetson, but I forget the miles charged. Didn't matter. They had a table that instructed you to measure your head and then transferred it to the hat size. We did as instructed. After a wait, there was my box with a hat at the front door. I tore it open and plopped it on my head. Sort of. It fell over my ears and blocked my eyes. My wife concluded it was defective and to prove it, she got out her trusty tape measure, the one she' bee sewing with for maybe 25 years. Same measure as before. But wait, I surely didn't have a mullet that was the largest offered. So I got out a steel tape, the kind that doesn't stretch. It was he trusty old tape measure that was at fault.

So I took it to my gun show partner because he had the biggest head I've ever seen. Fit him perfectly. And he was very pleased to get it. Made him look like a Texas Ranger all dooded up with his engraved Colt.

Its part of why I trust no one these days.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
I've found smaller 4.5" crown 3" brim hats to serve me much better these days.

I am doing a block height of 5 inches with a straight 3 inch brim with a ribbon on the edge with a slight curl on the ends all the way around.

posted Hide Post
people ( especially women) are going to want to touch it,
I am just warning you, they will want to rub it and stroke it , feel the weight in their hands and maybe even try it on .

Always tell them that that is not an option ,
besides grit grime and residue ( from god knows what), body oils will attract all kinds of bad stuff .

Unless you want to look like a miner forty niner
keep it in your possession, and out of reach .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55177 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
people ( especially women) are going to want to touch it,
I am just warning you, they will want to rub it and stroke it

Happens to my bald head ALL the time! A few mutter something about rubbing a bald head for luck too. Smile I don't discourage any of this! HA!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16517 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As has been mentioned, Tilley hats are very nice for wear. They have many models. I've not been a hat person most of my life, but have started to see the benefits.

I've had three over the last few years. Models/commentary:

LTM6 - most of the "L" hats are nylon construction, and the brim will flip up in a good breeze (like on a boat). Ventilation is a rim of mesh around the top of the hat.

T4 - good construction, cotton duck. Stiffer brim. Ventilation is two open grommets on each side. I just loaned this one to my father when I acquired the one below.

TM10B - this is one I just acquired, and for less than what is advertised on the Tilley site. Good construction, fairly stiff brim. Ventilation is the whole section (with some type of way to keep sun out) above the brim up to the top of the hat. I'm using this one daily when taking a walk at lunch.

I might pick up something different at some later time that would be used for times when I need it to be a bit more formal.

Posts: 2812 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Speaking of hats, mine should be ready in the next 10 days or so.

Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Greeley Hat called me yesterday and my hat is ready.
If Mrs. LBJ ever gets out of bed this morning, we will go pick it up. It's after 9AM!
She wants a custom made hat too, so the visit to the hat company will not be a short one.

My birthday is tomorrow, so right on time.