SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    TMZ, other outlets reporting Kobe Bryant died in a helicopter crash this morning
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
TMZ, other outlets reporting Kobe Bryant died in a helicopter crash this morning Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Full flight data, happened at the end of a longer flight (and not immediately after takeoff) which would seem to rule out bad fuel.

https://ibb.co/ZJY51Wt

https://www.flightradar24.com/...craft/n72ex#23a8271e

How many fuel tanks does that type of helicopter have? Could have switched to a tank with bad fuel?

Posts: 11610 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...opter-crash-n2560142

According to LA Fire Chief Daryl Osby, 56 personnel, paramedics, engine company, truck company, hand crews and aircraft were deployed as soon as the call came in shortly after 10 a.m. local time. When crews arrived, a quarter-acre fire was burning. The area included magnesium, which is hard for firefighters to put out. Not only did firefighters had to hike in but a helicopter flew in, along with paramedics, early into the incident. They conducted a search area for survivors. Unfortunately, all people on board were found dead.

According to County Sheriff Alex Villanueva, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) are now taking over the investigation. They are currently on scene.

Villanueva said there appeared to be eight individuals plus the pilot on board. Although there is speculation about the identities of those on board, he said it would be inappropriate to identify those people and make their names known until the next of kin is identified. He specifically named TMZ, the first outlet to identify Bryant as the crash victim, as an inappropriate place for family members to learn about the accident.

In addition, he had nothing to add until the coroner processes the scene and does their job. After that, they will be able to release additional information.

A fire broke out, but it's unclear whether the fire happened before the helicopter went down.

TMZ obtained audio of emergency personnel being dispatched to the scene of the crash.

According to ongoing reports, Bryant was traveling from his home in Newport Beach to the Mamba Academy in Thousand Oaks for basketball practice. Even when Bryant was still with the Los Angeles Lakers, he reportedly flew by private jets to and from his home and the Staples Center, where he played.

posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^
The executive model has two. Not sure which type of Sikorsky S 76 he had.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
Picture of Top Gun Supply
posted Hide Post

A very capable twin turbine helicopter.

https://www.topgunsupply.com

SIG SAUER Dealer and Parts Distributor

Posts: 10339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 11, 2005Report This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
^^^^^^^
The executive model has two. Not sure which type of Sikorsky S 76 he had.

What We Know About Kobe Bryant’s Helicopter

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
Yeah, the response is....enlightening
You mean the way people are behaving like a head of state died?

Oh, or did you mean responses like mine? The man dribbled a little ball for a living. I couldn't care less how well he performed this meaningless task. But, oh Twittter, oh Facebook, oh voracious news demon, forgive me.

I understand people being shocked by the news but Goddamn, people, get a grip. I'm sorry but I see a severe overreaction to this news.

Posts: 109045 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
How many fuel tanks does that type of helicopter have? Could have switched to a tank with bad fuel?
Not sure. Could have been a number of issues from fuel starvation, to out of control flight / spatial disorientation, random mechanical failure, to simple controlled flight into terrain - yeah someone heard it 'sputtering', but eyewitness statements are notoriously unreliable, especially if that person has little to no idea what an S-76 sounds like in certain conditions.

Personally if I was loaded with cash and determined that a helicopter was the only reasonable solution to my lifestyle / business, I'd have it dual piloted - if not at all times, certainly at night or under IFR (Instrument Flight Rules).

Just a holdover from my time in the military were nearly every helicopter has 2 rated pilots.

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I feel sorry for his rape victims that’ll have to see his face everywhere for the next year.

Posts: 13829 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Report This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
I think this lady is out of a job after this...

MSNBC MAKES WORST BROADCASTING BLOOPER, ANCHOR USES RACIAL EPITHET WHILE COVERING KOBE TRAGEDY

https://news.grabien.com/story...-anchor-somehow-says

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3487 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Report This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
I feel sorry for his rape victims that’ll have to see his face everywhere for the next year.

That and this unattributed ribald comment made at the time of his continuing indiscretions: "The first 8 inches were consensual!"

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16517 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
https://ibb.co/ZJY51Wt

Looking at the last minute, assuming that data is accurate and you have a rapid climb and bleed off of airspeed, followed by a rapid decent and acceleration. Could be indicative of inadvertent IFR, a rapid attempt to climb on instruments (because you could hit the mountains), followed by a spatial disorientation / loss of control with the acceleration / decent.

Just one of the many possibilities that will be wondered about for the 18-24 months it will take the FAA to come up with an official determination.

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Personally if I was loaded with cash and determined that a helicopter was the only reasonable solution to my lifestyle...[snip]
...I'd buy a very nice King Air 350 instead.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I mean both. I’m not one to say which response is appropriate. I understand both. I get you have zero connection to the guy because he became famous for something you care nothing about. I also get there will Be people who act, as you put it, like a head or state died. I would posit that most heads of state would not elicit the kind of reaction you’re referring to here, but I’m not going to get lost in that detail.

I’m somewhere in the middle. I get your response. I get the other responses. What I don’t get is why the people at both those ends of the spectrum can’t respect, and let be, their opposites.

I’ve been on this board a long time. I know, for example, you are an aficionado of old movies. There is likely someone in that field that, if they were to die suddenly, it would surprise you.

I suspect, from reading your posts over the years, that we are fairly similar in that, even if it’s a celebrity of some sort that we cared about, we wouldn’t be overly emotional about it. We would note it. Be sad at their passing. And go on with our lives. I can’t think of anyone outside my family and close friends that I would respond to the way some people on TV are responded to this news. Some of them obviously knew the man, so that’s more understandable to me. But the thousands now gathered outside the staples center? I don’t get it, not me, but different strokes for different folks.

I’m not going to get into a pissing contest with you. I know I’d lose. I think it’s possible to talk about this man’s passing while being respectful to the people that are emotionally effected by his death. As I said in my original post, even if you don’t like the sport or him, it’s likely you know his name. He transcended his medium. Hell, he won an academy award. He was a popular figure in this country, and his passing is sudden and unexpected. I get some people don’t care. I’m not sure why it’s necessary to rub that fact in the faces of those that do.

Edit: I lied. The other thread just posted corrected me. I do get emotional when I see stories of service members lost in things like helicopter crashes. I do have a personal connection to those people I’ve never met. I haven’t been in the Army for years, but I will always take deaths like those personally.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:

Oh, or did you mean responses like mine? The man dribbled a little ball for a living. I couldn't care less how well he performed this meaningless task. But, oh Twittter, oh Facebook, oh voracious news demon, forgive me.

I understand people being shocked by the news but Goddamn, people, get a grip. I'm sorry but I see a severe overreaction to this news.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Report This Post
Picture of Top Gun Supply
posted Hide Post
If this aircraft was in fact being operated single pilot, it might very well be the pilot had a medical event.

https://www.topgunsupply.com

SIG SAUER Dealer and Parts Distributor

Posts: 10339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 11, 2005Report This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Feel for the families that lost loved ones, but I really didn't care much for the guy. Great player who was as flawed as anyone else.

Can't deny the fact that he was one of the most recognizable people in the WORLD, though...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6367 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:

Again, Neil Peart banged drums for a living, an meaningless task and yet no one was crapping in that thread.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
So what?

Posts: 109045 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
Feel for the families that lost loved ones, but I really didn't care much for the guy. Great player who was as flawed as anyone else.

As flawed as anyone else? Sorry, I’ve never raped anyone.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4012 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Report This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Was Peart an arrogant rapist prick? Didn’t think so.

Posts: 13829 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Report This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac