SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    TMZ, other outlets reporting Kobe Bryant died in a helicopter crash this morning
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
TMZ, other outlets reporting Kobe Bryant died in a helicopter crash this morning Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
never know when your time is up

boy from my daughters high school died last week. 17 years old - bright kid - lots going for him

live joyful and with humility and gratitude

it could all be gone in an instant

---------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
So interesting to see the reaction of some people here compared to the Neil Peart thread. I don't remember seeing anyone trying to minimize his death ornipenly question why people care about someone who 'banged drums, FFS' to paraphrase another poster here...

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Report This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
RIP Mamba and daughter. I prayed for your family. His wife, I can only imagine what she is going through. Losing a husband and a daughter on the same day is completely devastating.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12931 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The thing about a celebrity dying in this fashion is that it seems like someone you knew even though you never met them.

Posts: 97 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So interesting to see the reaction of some people here compared to the Neil Peart thread. I don't remember seeing anyone trying to minimize his death ornipenly question why people care about someone who 'banged drums, FFS' to paraphrase another poster here...

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not unusual. Polarizing figure. Lots of response on John Lennon as well. Do not even mention MLK.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
9 people on board, per the Sheriff.

Posts: 2093 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Report This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
That is great news.
No its not. Four people are still dead. And whether kids or adults, a life is a life. This is still just as big a tragedy as it was when it was first reported.

Jeez, I get that. I was referring to the false report that all of his children were aboard. Really Bigdeal?

I don't think it would have been any more or less tragic if it had been his kids on board. It's an equal tragedy that four people were killed, regardless of who they were.

Maybe you don't have kids. I do so it is always worse to me when children die.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5935 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not unusual. Polarizing figure. Lots of response on John Lennon as well. Do not even mention MLK.

I don't think sigforum was around back then...

I'm comparing this thread directly to other RIP threads where they stay respectful and the people who don't care just stay out of the thread.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I get it, he's famous and all.

At the same time, an average of 90 people per day die in car accidents.

RIP to them all.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
quote:
Eyewitnesses also tell us that they heard the helicopter's engine sputtering before it went down.

Especially losing control over bad fuel. In theory you can still land without engines. The 'record' is no-engines autorotation from 12,440 m (40,814 ft).
Yeah, auto-rotation. Better than no option at all, but you are still pretty much fucked at that point unless absolutely everything goes right.

Add in hills / mountains / fog - yeah, no thanks.

Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't think sigforum was around back then...

I'm comparing this thread directly to other RIP threads where they stay respectful and the people who don't care just stay out of the thread.

Agreed Scurvy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5935 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by liner:
9 people on board, per the Sheriff.

No survivors either.

Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the LA sherif reporting 9 on board, but they are not listing any names until the coroner does their thing and next of kin are formally notified.

He specifically called out TMZ for talking out their ass, and that “no one should hear about death of a loved one through TMZ”

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Report This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the response is....enlightening

I was also sad when Neal Peart died

Kobe was a polarizing figure for me. I am a Lakers fan, but Kobe, and his style of play, drove me nuts. I was on Shaq’s side for lack of a better term. But he was an amazing player

I wonder how people would respond if it was Michael Jordan....or Larry Bird....or someone like Tom Selleck....there have been threads like this about other popular figures in culture

If this wasn’t your cup of tea, great. But people make connections...emotional connections...to people they don’t know all the time...musicians, authors, athletes, etc. it’s part of the human experience, and it’s as old as the gladiators, or the athletes of Ancient Greece. It happens

I’d hope when something like this happens to someone that is a figure like that we, as a community, can at least show enough respect to people that were somehow connected to the figure to, at the least, shut up.

I’m not emotionally devastated like the people on the news. I’m no more sad about these i deaths than I would be about any other 9 strangers. But I recognize he was a pop icon to many, so I recognize the death like I did someone like, say, Prince. I will say, when Tom Selleck dies, I am going to be extremely upset

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think sigforum was around back then..

^^^^^^^^^
My reference about John Lennon was to a recent thread posted by 0-0 where he lamented his death some years ago. It guess you missed it. It was quite contentious. I also just noted where the OP admitted that Kobe was a polarizing figure to him.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the flight path. With the amount of fog it looks like he took a wrong turn. Right into the side of a hill. They were flying to Thousand Oaks

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3625 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
There should be two threads for every death notable enough to merit attention by the group. One where everyone falls over themselves acting sad, and another where everyone states how little they care.

Posts: 1832 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Report This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Or we can all just respond with a modicum of deceny here

quote:
Originally posted by Stlhead:
There should be two threads for every death notable enough to merit attention by the group. One where everyone falls over themselves acting sad, and another where everyone states how little they care.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
A lot of families impacted by this accident. A double blow to the Bryant family but also to the family of the other player on board who apparently was traveling with family.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38205 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Full flight data, happened at the end of a longer flight (and not immediately after takeoff) which would seem to rule out bad fuel.

https://ibb.co/ZJY51Wt

https://www.flightradar24.com/...craft/n72ex#23a8271e