SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Whats in your glass tonight??? Part(?)
Page 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 298
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whats in your glass tonight??? Part(?) Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Can anyone tell me about Four Roses? Is it good stuff? Saw some this evening, sort of a gift box with a bottle and 2 glasses in the box.

Four Roses, the brand and physical Distillery (one of only a handful, 6-ish, of any size and history that matter much), is certainly good, and has been around for a long time, and amongst what makes them notable is that they use 10 mashes in-house, and they often mix them in distinct combinations.

They have three main expressions:

* "Yellow", their basic and least expensive expression. About $20/750ml, pretty light in flavor and color.

* Small Batch, a mix of 4 of their mashes, and about $40/750ml.

* And their Single Barrel, which runs about $50/750ml.

Of the three, I prefer the Yellow and the Single Barrel but they're all good Bourbon.

Some of their limited releases are fantastic. My favorite is a 100th Anniv expression from a few years ago. It was a Single Barrel, Barrel Strength version that was just over 17yrs old. If you check sites like Binnys (or stores like Specs and such) they usually have ones their whiskey guy has picked, so they'll have whole barrels worth of, say, the Single Barrel in various mash configurations. I'm most fond of the "OBSV" mash.

IIRC, GrumpyBiker is mostly a Beam family fan (Knob Creek, Bookers, Bakers, Basil Hayden, etc, all good whiskey, I'm a huge fan of Knob Creek Single Barrel and their Old Grand Dad 114) and anything Beam and anything Four Roses will taste very different from one another.

hope this helps.

also, fwiw, the only whiskey made at the Four Roses Distillery is FR itself and the Bulleit brand (contract distilled for Bulleit).

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Basil Hayden

Posts: 23517 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Can anyone tell me about Four Roses? Is it good stuff? Saw some this evening, sort of a gift box with a bottle and 2 glasses in the box.

Four Roses, the brand and physical Distillery (one of only a handful, 6-ish, of any size and history that matter much), is certainly good, and has been around for a long time, and amongst what makes them notable is that they use 10 mashes in-house, and they often mix them in distinct combinations.

They have three main expressions:

* "Yellow", their basic and least expensive expression. About $20/750ml, pretty light in flavor and color.

* Small Batch, a mix of 4 of their mashes, and about $40/750ml.

* And their Single Barrel, which runs about $50/750ml.

Of the three, I prefer the Yellow and the Single Barrel but they're all good Bourbon.

Some of their limited releases are fantastic. My favorite is a 100th Anniv expression from a few years ago. It was a Single Barrel, Barrel Strength version that was just over 17yrs old. If you check sites like Binnys (or stores like Specs and such) they usually have ones their whiskey guy has picked, so they'll have whole barrels worth of, say, the Single Barrel in various mash configurations. I'm most fond of the "OBSV" mash.

IIRC, GrumpyBiker is mostly a Beam family fan (Knob Creek, Bookers, Bakers, Basil Hayden, etc, all good whiskey, I'm a huge fan of Knob Creek Single Barrel and their Old Grand Dad 114) and anything Beam and anything Four Roses will taste very different from one another.

hope this helps.

also, fwiw, the only whiskey made at the Four Roses Distillery is FR itself and the Bulleit brand (contract distilled for Bulleit).

I just looked at it. It's the Single Barrel, 750 ml, with 2 nice glasses, for just under $34.00. It is one of those holiday/Christmas box sets, out early this year.

I think I'll go back and buy a few more for Christmas presents. Why wait til the last minute?

Thanks for the info.

Posts: 11859 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to have some E. H. Taylor Small Batch. I lucked up on some today. I am thinking this will be a fine bourbon.

Posts: 1214 | Registered: May 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Glenlivet 12 YO on the rocks.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ardbeg Auriverdes with a couple drops of water.

Kilchoman Cask 172 and Lagavulin 12 with a spoon of water each is on tap for later tonight.

I'm a deplorable.

Posts: 671 | Location: Fargo ND | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
O'Dell's Isolation Ale, Red Hook Pumpkin Porter, Hop Juice later.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5966 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Watchful Guardian
Picture of badkarma56
posted Hide Post
Suntory Hibiki 12. Cool

Some friends of ours brought over a bottle of this whisky tonight to enjoy with dinner. As you can see, we put a respectable dent in the bottle! Big Grin

This 12-year-old blended Japanese whisky has a smooth and refined flavor that features hints of spicy pepper, citrus, ginger and vanilla. Suntory partially matures this whisky in Umeshu casks, which are typically used for maturing Japanese plum liqueur. The influence of the Umeshu cask is readily apparent upon nosing the whisky. Subtle hints of citrus, hibiscus and honey round out the delicate aroma. The finish is multi-layered and satisfying. All in all, I have to say that Suntory Hibiki 12 is damned good whisky.

-BK

"If it's all the same to you, I'd really prefer to visit the range."

Posts: 7980 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: August 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Four Roses Single Barrel (with 2 glasses) is a pretty good deal, as far as Bourbon values go.

It's what I keep around from Four Roses, either some limited edition version or the regular Single Barrel such as you saw.

Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Nothing. Its all gone.

Posts: 7541 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
Got a nice cool glass of mead that I fermented myself. Started it on my birthday, March 29th and bottled it 6 months later. Pretty damn good too. Pretty damn strong also.

Oh, and I have about 2 gallons of it left.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Willetts Pot Still.

Posts: 7021 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billnchristy:
Christy had a growler of that mocha stout last week, it was too coffee for me.

It was too something alright.
I won't buy that one again, nor will I listen to the bar tender when he says "this is great"!

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
Glenmorangie Companta tonight.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5581 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend found a bottle of 15 year old Pappy Van Winkles. Called and ask if I wanted to split the price, my share was $300.

I told him to put away his credit card and back away from the computer.

Posts: 7021 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
Stoli Vodka, Fresh squeezed Orange Juice and Milk Of Magnesia.

I love a good Phillips Screwdriver

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Eamonn Wright
posted Hide Post

"The government is best which governs least."- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6562 | Location: Massachusetts, USA | Registered: December 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
A friend found a bottle of 15 year old Pappy Van Winkles. Called and ask if I wanted to split the price, my share was $300.

I told him to put away his credit card and back away from the computer.
no way.

I won't pay more than $100 for the 15, and paying more than $75 pisses me off.

posted Hide Post
Nothin' Frown

On the wagon until Halloween.

-----------------------------------

Posts: 2424 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Lagunitas Maximus. But now I am BOLO for the Founders KBS.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5966 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post