SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    For you retired guys, do you miss work?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
For you retired guys, do you miss work? Login/Join 
Member
posted Hide Post
I work harder since I retired than I ever did on the job


"Dyin ain't much of a livin...boy"
 
Posts: 450 | Location: West (By GOD) Virginia | Registered: November 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Hell no. I enjoyed my work, but I find plenty of interesting things to do now.



Serious about crackers.
 
Posts: 11798 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Worked for An IT company for 42 years, sometimes I would miss then I would remember all the stress, holidays and shift work and the corporate bs and realize I’m happier now
 
Posts: 2482 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
From my full time career of 47 years? Hell no, my boss and his boss made it a toxic environment for several years prior to my departure. In all fairness, family owned and the parents were stepping away allowing the kids more power. Where my manager wasn’t a favorite with the kids his manager was and it became an appendage measuring contest between those two. I couldn’t leave fast enough once I became Medicare eligible.

I work part time in a LGS now. Two or three days a week gives me play money and discounts don’t hurt either.


-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)
 
Posts: 9259 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Not at all. Spent my last 20 years at a university having to balance the IT needs of academia and administration. Toxic environment. Been retired 8 years now and I have only remained in contact with my boss and a couple of my students. While I miss coming up with solutions to complex problems, I am glad I don't have to do deal with the people.
 
Posts: 6112 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Nope. They say the thing you miss most is the people. The people are the thing I miss the least.
 
Posts: 2906 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
My last job I worked from home, dealt mostly with people I knew for years. I missed them at first, not the company which I was tired of. And them me, I think.



"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.
 
Posts: 3699 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I have said this many times, I don’t miss the circus, I just miss the clowns.
 
Posts: 364 | Location: S/W Ohio | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Don't miss the work; it was overrated as a profession in my opinion. Sometimes miss the paycheck as was mentioned above, but wouldn't go back for twice as much...
 
Posts: 455 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I miss the action and the guys I worked with. The rest of it I dont miss at all.


End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
 
Posts: 17807 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Yes, every day I miss flying terribly. But I don't miss the job. I retired 4 years early because the job became miserable. Covid 2020 - 2021 was just insane at work. The job always had difficult moments, but the flying made up for it.

The worst is when we travel now. Yesterday we returned home on my old employer, on an aircraft I'd flown many times, on a route I flew many times. Looking in the cockpit it felt like I'd climbed into the left seat of that airplane just last week.

If they'd let me work half-time back in 2021 I would have stayed probably all the way to age 65. So many pilots retired early around the same time as I did, and a few months later they were calling me to try to get me back full time.
 
Posts: 11497 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I've been retired for five years now. I really enjoyed my career of 44 years, but there was a lot of office BS and stress with it.
I love not having to get up at 4:00 am to drive 30 minutes to work. I don't miss it at all.



"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards
 
Posts: 17192 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
I'm 4 months into retirement and can't say I miss work yet. Still feels like a summer vacation.

That said, I told myself that I will reevaluate at the beginning of the year on what I want to do. If I'm bored, I may look for a part time job doing 'something'. Don't think I'll go back to construction though. I'm beyond that stress.




We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.
 
Posts: 5945 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Not. One. Bit.


_____________________________________________________________________
“One of the common failings among honorable people is a failure to appreciate how thoroughly dishonorable some other people can be, and how dangerous it is to trust them.” – Thomas Sowell
 
Posts: 6763 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Retired from the small (mom & pop) business that I had owned for 23 years. If I could have run it without employees or customers, it would have been OK.

Also retired from flying. The corporate contract stuff was enjoyable, but dealing with the FAA power-hungry bureaucrats on the instruction side pretty much sucked.



הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
 
Posts: 33807 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by badguybuster:
I work harder since I retired than I ever did on the job


I have a friend that retired after his wife passed, remarried soon after, and constantly comments on how he is busier now (traveling, shuttling grandkids, etc) than he was while working,


another mutual friend just retired from the phone company, and spends have his time doing what he wants, the other have doing honey doos, and it completely content,


and my bro from another mother, has been struggling, he had no plans when he retired (mandatory retirement) and while he has found something to stay busy some days, the rest of the time involves sitting on the porch drinking a few beers,



me, self employed, at retirement age (63) but will not likely retire till I get medicare,

maybe



https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/
 
Posts: 11559 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Been retired since the end of February and I really miss the folks on the team I managed (software engineering). We were a really tight team. I do like not waking up at 5:00 am.
 
Posts: 8214 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I miss the work, but not the people. (especially the Boss!). What a jerk. Of course, I was self-employed for 48 years!! My wife is a lot easier to be around all day.


Finally out of western Washington!!!
 
Posts: 62 | Registered: April 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of heydrich
posted Hide Post
No
For greater clarity on my answer......
30 years of circuit boards
10.5 years at Walmart.
HELL nooooooooooooooooooooo


“I'm fat because every time I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Is committed to helping increasing carbon emissions.
 
Posts: 712 | Location: The Other Side of Morning  | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
My wife beat me to retirement by 6 years - she's living the dream and wished she had done it earlier


*Handguns are fine, Shotguns are final
 
Posts: 1264 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    For you retired guys, do you miss work?

© SIGforum 2026