SIGforum
For you retired guys, do you miss work?
August 19, 2026, 07:31 AM
badguybusterFor you retired guys, do you miss work?
I work harder since I retired than I ever did on the job
"Dyin ain't much of a livin...boy"
August 19, 2026, 07:31 AM
Pipe SmokerHell no. I enjoyed my work, but I find plenty of interesting things to do now.
Serious about crackers. August 19, 2026, 07:38 AM
valkyrie1Worked for An IT company for 42 years, sometimes I would miss then I would remember all the stress, holidays and shift work and the corporate bs and realize I’m happier now
August 19, 2026, 08:16 AM
shovelheadFrom my full time career of 47 years? Hell no, my boss and his boss made it a toxic environment for several years prior to my departure. In all fairness, family owned and the parents were stepping away allowing the kids more power. Where my manager wasn’t a favorite with the kids his manager was and it became an appendage measuring contest between those two. I couldn’t leave fast enough once I became Medicare eligible.
I work part time in a LGS now. Two or three days a week gives me play money and discounts don’t hurt either.
-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)
August 19, 2026, 08:36 AM
k5blazerNot at all. Spent my last 20 years at a university having to balance the IT needs of academia and administration. Toxic environment. Been retired 8 years now and I have only remained in contact with my boss and a couple of my students. While I miss coming up with solutions to complex problems, I am glad I don't have to do deal with the people.
August 19, 2026, 08:46 AM
bigwagonNope. They say the thing you miss most is the people. The people are the thing I miss the least.
August 19, 2026, 08:51 AM
UTsigMy last job I worked from home, dealt mostly with people I knew for years. I missed them at first, not the company which I was tired of. And them me, I think.
"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.
August 19, 2026, 08:54 AM
gafI have said this many times, I don’t miss the circus, I just miss the clowns.
August 19, 2026, 09:16 AM
Sacramento JohnsonDon't miss the work; it was overrated as a profession in my opinion. Sometimes miss the paycheck as was mentioned above, but wouldn't go back for twice as much...
August 19, 2026, 09:18 AM
YooperSigsI miss the action and the guys I worked with. The rest of it I dont miss at all.
End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
August 19, 2026, 09:49 AM
Fly-SigYes, every day I miss flying terribly. But I don't miss the
job. I retired 4 years early because the job became miserable. Covid 2020 - 2021 was just insane at work. The job always had difficult moments, but the flying made up for it.
The worst is when we travel now. Yesterday we returned home on my old employer, on an aircraft I'd flown many times, on a route I flew many times. Looking in the cockpit it felt like I'd climbed into the left seat of that airplane just last week.
If they'd let me work half-time back in 2021 I would have stayed probably all the way to age 65. So many pilots retired early around the same time as I did, and a few months later they were calling me to try to get me back full time.
August 19, 2026, 10:11 AM
WaterburyBobI've been retired for five years now. I really enjoyed my career of 44 years, but there was a lot of office BS and stress with it.
I love not having to get up at 4:00 am to drive 30 minutes to work. I don't miss it at all.
"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards
August 19, 2026, 10:19 AM
ugeestaI'm 4 months into retirement and can't say I miss work yet. Still feels like a summer vacation.
That said, I told myself that I will reevaluate at the beginning of the year on what I want to do. If I'm bored, I may look for a part time job doing 'something'. Don't think I'll go back to construction though. I'm beyond that stress.
We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye
Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.
August 19, 2026, 10:26 AM
CoolRich59Not. One. Bit.
_____________________________________________________________________
“One of the common failings among honorable people is a failure to appreciate how thoroughly dishonorable some other people can be, and how dangerous it is to trust them.” – Thomas Sowell
August 19, 2026, 11:00 AM
V-TailRetired from the small (mom & pop) business that I had owned for 23 years. If I could have run it without employees or customers, it would have been OK.
Also retired from flying. The corporate contract stuff was enjoyable, but dealing with the FAA power-hungry bureaucrats on the instruction side pretty much sucked.
הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים August 19, 2026, 11:18 AM
lymanquote:
Originally posted by badguybuster:
I work harder since I retired than I ever did on the job
I have a friend that retired after his wife passed, remarried soon after, and constantly comments on how he is busier now (traveling, shuttling grandkids, etc) than he was while working,
another mutual friend just retired from the phone company, and spends have his time doing what he wants, the other have doing honey doos, and it completely content,
and my bro from another mother, has been struggling, he had no plans when he retired (mandatory retirement) and while he has found something to stay busy some days, the rest of the time involves sitting on the porch drinking a few beers,
me, self employed, at retirement age (63) but will not likely retire till I get medicare,
maybe
https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/
August 19, 2026, 11:21 AM
BytesBeen retired since the end of February and I really miss the folks on the team I managed (software engineering). We were a really tight team. I do like not waking up at 5:00 am.
August 19, 2026, 12:27 PM
silverado224I miss the work, but not the people. (especially the Boss!). What a jerk. Of course, I was self-employed for 48 years!! My wife is a lot easier to be around all day.
Finally out of western Washington!!!
August 19, 2026, 12:30 PM
heydrichNo
For greater clarity on my answer......
30 years of circuit boards
10.5 years at Walmart.
HELL nooooooooooooooooooooo
“I'm fat because every time I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.
Is committed to helping to responsibly increase carbon emissions.
August 19, 2026, 12:41 PM
trickedtrixMy wife beat me to retirement by 6 years - she's living the dream and wished she had done it earlier
*Handguns are fine, Shotguns are final