SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    For you retired guys, do you miss work?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
For you retired guys, do you miss work? Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I don't miss it and keep myself pretty busy with various projects and hobbies. I will say I miss many of the people I worked with and the social aspect of that. I can't say I'm the most sociable person, so I do get a little lonely at times.

My job was two weeks straight of 12 hour days and then two weeks off. So really, it kind of felt like retirement at anyway during the off times.




SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>
 
Posts: 42142 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I retired. Burned through my bucket list in a few months. I enjoyed the relief from the pressure of running a business and having to answer to clients and employees.

Gradually I began to miss the thrill of success and conquest. Who knew, but my company had become my identity over the decades and I missed it.

Got a call from a previous associate early last year to help resolve a critical problem in California. It became a temporary gig and the thrill was back.

I’m semi retired now since that gig evolved into an opportunity to create another business. Mrs DF is happy to see the old me back and I work only half of the month on average.



You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier
 
Posts: 30906 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I loved my job for 25 years and liked it for 5. Retired at 55 and don’t miss it in the slightest. What really shocked me is I don’t even think about it in the slightest.
 
Posts: 4419 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I do not miss it one bit.

On property now and still acclimating to Tennessee humidity (born, raised, and retired in San Diego) and the only downside is not getting outside to work due to weather. Waiting for the fall. Big Grin

My achievement(s) will now be measured in the amount of property I can clean up (LOTS of undergrowth)

One BIG plus to being retired, I DO NOT need to associate with a-holes, even so called friends.

For example, had a friend I met while in the Navy circa 1991. A few times he asked me why Trump was doing something or said something. This friend does not understand geopolitics or "trolling."

I finally had enough a few weeks ago and final straw was when I explained the Iran thing (he asked a moronic question about attacking Iran since there was no proof they've attacked us -[recently]) and his response was that I have TDS syndrome - Trump Dick Sucking syndrome.

I didn't even respond, just blocked him.

Don't need to deal with shit and I ain't putting up with it from anyone anymore.






Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.



"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...



 
Posts: 15033 | Location: It was CA., Now it's "FREEEEEEDOM!!" (TN) | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
No.
 
Posts: 5363 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Nope.
I retired got a nice pension with health care and went to another department paying me more to work less with a way better schedule.
I do not consider my new job work.


————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!
 
Posts: 26955 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
Don’t miss the work at all.

I do miss my co workers. They were the best.


_______________
NRA Life Member
 
Posts: 1337 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I miss some of the people and some aspects of the work. But, it is an unethical and immoral hellhole.
 
Posts: 1667 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I retired 18 months ago and don’t miss it at all.
Spent a little over 20 years at my last job. 15 years were ok, then they hired an hr vp who was an over educated white liberal women. Before I knew it everything was dei this dei that. Didn’t realize the stress I was under until I retired. Lost 60 pounds. Now I have time to do my hobbies.
 
Posts: 86 | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Sometimes. I really liked the work I did, and most of those I worked with, still, retirement is great too, we get up with the sun, and there doesn’t seem to be enough hours in the day; I keep pretty busy.


_______________________________________________________
despite them
 
Posts: 14948 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Not really, miss the people, and there were aspects of the job and business that would still make things interesting and enjoyable. But I worked long enough to that the components I didn’t enjoy outweighed staying. So, in my mind, I have no regrets.


Bill Gullette
 
Posts: 1691 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:

it is an unethical and immoral hellhole.
Must have been an interesting job.



הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
 
Posts: 33807 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
Not one bit.


I was always work to live, not live to work.


******************************************************************************
Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .



 
Posts: 7815 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I retired in June of 2017. I really liked my job, and got a lot out of it, but it was time to leave. I've got plenty of things to do to keep me busy nowadays, and I don't miss my paying job at all.
 
Posts: 335 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
My wife and I both retired on the same day, 11 years ago. We’ve had the opportunity to winter in both Mexico and Florida. We moved from Montana to Arizona 4 years ago and never looked back. Retirement is a gas.



I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
...................................
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham
 
Posts: 4407 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Not one FN bit.
The first 10 years of my career was exciting! Riding around on a fire truck in the 5th largest city in the US was a blast.
The second decade had some of the shine taken off of it but could still could get royally pumped for some calls.

Never really did get “pumped” for first aid calls…they were going to be a great save or a complete shit show depending on who lived or died and under what circumstances.
I had too much to worry about on most of those calls being that me and my medic partner were the ones responsible for the outcome.

The third decade wasn’t exciting and fire calls were just going to be HOT, DIRTY and ASS KICKING.
Fighting fire in 110+ heat wearing 80 pounds of gear had lost some of its luster. Roll Eyes
Losing 10+ pounds of water weight, rehydrate, then lose 10 more.

The last “kid” I intubated was 17 going on 30, looked like a meth head with all the scabs on her arms and crossed the median plowing into a family.
She was laying with her ass in the front seat and her head and neck in the backseat. Had to crawl in on the rear passenger door and tube her from there.

My wife’s grandmother would ask me if “I was bored yet” after retiring.
I finally told her that I’m NOT bored not hearing a child screaming about their dead parent or a parent screaming about their dead child. She quit asking after that.
(Might have been harsh but I was tired of it)


--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.
 
Posts: 4550 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigFan:
Every day is Saturday!


Dad said, "Every day is Saturday. And that's great, except for the days when your mom wants something done on Saturday." Smile




Politicians seem to have forgotten that they work for us, not the other way around.
— — — — — — — — — — — —
God bless America.
 
Posts: 16406 | Location: VA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
For you retired guys, do you miss work?

Hell no!


____________________________
NRA Life Member, MGO Annual Member
 
Posts: 14013 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
quote:
For you retired guys, do you miss work?


No, I do not miss work. I was concerned that I would. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was for me to transition into retirement. My time is now my time. I enjoy knowing that.




"Prepared in mind and resources"
 
Posts: 1424 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
About as much as an ingrown toenail.


____________
Pace
 
Posts: 1659 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    For you retired guys, do you miss work?

© SIGforum 2026