SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    For you retired guys, do you miss work?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
For you retired guys, do you miss work? Login/Join 
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted
I sure as hell don't. We're moving, and my wife is a more efficient taskmaster than I ever was! I do not miss morning meetings, deadlines and ambiguous requirements. I do not want to return to work. Ever.


_________________
This space left intentionally blank.
 
Posts: 4321 | Location: Hendersonville, North Carolina | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Loved job. Disliked people. Compensation not equitable.

Don’t miss it.




"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
 
Posts: 15145 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
No, I don't miss it. I worked to make a decent living and some of it was kinda fun, but I enjoy too many hobbies and I like my personal time.
 
Posts: 1759 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Not a bit, other than I do miss most of the people I worked with…but not enough to consider going back to work! Every day is Saturday!


Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)
 
Posts: 2059 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Not one little tiny bit. Best thing I ever did. It was a private sector job. Never worked for da county, state or feds. Also the best thing I ever did. Learned a lot. Didn't make a lot of money, but enough. Helped a lot of people in private sector business be successful. So it was rewarding. But was glad to be free to do whatever I wanted. Still doing it.



"Practice like you want to play in the game"
 
Posts: 21948 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
Don't miss it, lot less stress.
 
Posts: 2018 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I used to like my job, for a lot of years. Then over the last year or so that I was there, they started changing things in ways I wasn't happy with. And I was living in an increasingly blue state. I decided "screw it", retired a little early and moved to a much redder state. I'm much more relaxed now. No, I don't miss it at all.
 
Posts: 8098 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
No, not a bit.
 
Posts: 32065 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
Simple answer: NO!
 
Posts: 7129 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I seem to be the odd man out in this group. I have said when people asked about my career, that I always had fun and interesting jobs (two seperate 20 year careers). The last 15 after the 20 year careers was a 1099 federal background investigator. It was interesting, but it was NOT fun.

Do I miss the first two? Yes, would I do them again? Yes. My mind is willing but I recognize the body is no longer up to the task, memories will have to suffice,
 
Posts: 1017 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Vino Veritas
Picture of Jaycat
posted Hide Post
NO! I do miss the guys I worked with. Great dudes


Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun!!!
 
Posts: 1058 | Location: Clarksville TN | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
I don’t miss it.
First 20 years I liked my job.
The last 10 or so,liberal politics was getting worse.
Glad it’s over, the only bad thing is I’m getting old now. Wish I could have retired 10 years ago.
 
Posts: 1769 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Another "not even a little bit" here.

Outside the Navy, I don't miss any of the people either. In some cases, the people were what drove me out.

There are some Navy buddies I miss, but that was 40+ years ago and we all know memories are fonder than actuality.

I LOVE being able to (pretty much...) do What I want, WHEN I want. It has spoiled me for ever working on a schedule again.




Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
 
Posts: 16725 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I am fortunate to be consulting in my field, post retirement. Just enough to pay for toys. So, I don't miss work.


-------
Trying to simplify my life...
 
Posts: 6293 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
No.

I was in IT Architecture establishing standards and strategy. My focus and background was infrastructure (data centers, servers, OS, networks and systems management). It got tiresome explaining why standards and security are necessary in a financial services company. I left over 5 years ago and the same battles are continuing. I am very happy to have missed them.

I had a career but I also maintained many interests outside of work. Retirement has allowed me to pursue those in addition to helping manage some projects at my sportmen's club. Life is good in retirement.



Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?
 
Posts: 978 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I don't miss the schedule or most of the people but I do miss some of the work. I'm picking up more consulting work and I like earning money so I'm happy.
 
Posts: 4018 | Location: Sunshine State | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
I kind of miss the steady paycheck.


_______________________
“There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”
― Frank Zappa
 
Posts: 2044 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Every day is Saturday!
Except Sunday.


_________________________________________________________________________
“A man’s treatment of a dog is no indication of the man’s nature, but his treatment of a cat is. It is the crucial test. None but the humane treat a cat well.”
-- Mark Twain, 1902
 
Posts: 10596 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post


_________________________________________________________________________
“A man’s treatment of a dog is no indication of the man’s nature, but his treatment of a cat is. It is the crucial test. None but the humane treat a cat well.”
-- Mark Twain, 1902
 
Posts: 10596 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Although it’s been 38 years, I still think about some of the satisfaction I got from what I did in the Army. Then 20+ years ago I got a part time job that also gave me a lot of satisfaction for a couple of more decades.
Unfortunately all good things come to an end and I’m adjusting to that as it’s ending not with a bang but with a whimper.

Fortunately 22 Long Rifle ammunition and a place to shoot it don’t cost much, neither do the Internet and books.




“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
 
Posts: 49964 | Location: 10,160 Feet Above Sea Level in Commirado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    For you retired guys, do you miss work?

© SIGforum 2026