SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    For you retired guys, do you miss work?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
For you retired guys, do you miss work? Login/Join 
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
Nope. Sleep, stress, stupidity, pick your metric and they are all a hard no.


___________________________
"Opinions vary" -Dalton
 
Posts: 1772 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
No. I don't miss having others wanting me to not do the job I was trained/educated for, hired to do, and was getting paid for, to help them do work dropped on them and which they didn't get support to do. But they got quite a bit more pay than me, to do that. Happened often enough. Some of the people I miss, but otherwise...
 
Posts: 4137 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I miss work so little that I don’t even like thinking about commerce. Working people drop by to work at neighbors during the day. I’d just as soon not seeing it. It distracts from pleasant thoughts of playing, tinkering or relaxing.
 
Posts: 8282 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Don't miss it even a little. Yesterday, I bumped into a much younger former co-worker. Seems he had the good sense to bail out of that hellhole soon after I retired. We shared stories about how toxic that environment was, shook hands and went about our way.
 
Posts: 527 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Not a bit. Last job was and endless soul-sucking lineup of meetings listening to someone read their own PowerPoint slides. Now I still wake up at the same time. But now I go exercise, go to the range, grill, do yardwork, take a nap, make cocktails. Whatever I feel like at the time. Dropped over 20 pounds without any diet changes. Took up playing Pickleball. Not saying I'm good at it, but it keeps me active.

I still occasionally get an email trying to recruit me for a job. I just giggle and delete them.


_______________________
“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul
 
Posts: 8453 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'm not retired...not even close. But I just went back to work after taking 30 days off...longest vacation I've had since I started working at 18. I don't think I was bored or missed work for one second during that 30 days, and while I appreciate having a job that pays the bills and provides for my family, the last two days have definitely been less enjoyable than the 30 prior, and if I could afford to be done with work tomorrow I absolutely would.


-----------------------------------------------------------

Any comments made by this poster are my own and do not reflect the views or opinions of my employer.
 
Posts: 12031 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I officially retired in 1999. I loved my job. 30 years of Title Insurance back in Washington state. We moved to Missouri and have been here ever since.

At that time we were to young to actually retire so we bought a small Italian restaurant here at the Lake. That was a hoot and met a lot of the locals. We did that for 6 years and then pretty much hung it all up. 16 hour days can get really old fast.



.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.
 
Posts: 5576 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I retired on September 30, 2007 having accrued all the benefits I could. I could have remained and my retirement would have increased at a paltry amount under Florida's State Retirement System.

My wife retired in February, 2018 having also got as much as she was entitled to receive.

Neither of us had one single regret. But, in the event some unexpected calamity occurred, we both kept our licenses active. I maintained my Florida Bar membership and she retained her RN and ARNP licenses.

No calamity occurred, thank the Lord, and as our health began to deteriorate, we gave up our licenses-mine first, taking the retirement option the Bar offers which still allows me to Petition and return to the practice of law (fat chance!) within five years. She first dropped the ARNP, then, not long ago, the RN.

Still no regrets. Not a single one.

I hope whether you retire when eligible or continue to work you have the same wonderful life we've had.

Bob
 
Posts: 1865 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
I retired from LE at the end of February after 27 years. I miss most of the people I worked with, both in my department and neighboring departments. I miss being “in the know” but I don’t miss the calls or having to deal with the people I did while working the midnight shift.

So, to answer the question………no, I don’t miss it!


Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
 
Posts: 3497 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
The weight of work plus the added weight of my LE authority/responsibilities were a heavy load for me to bear as I got older with my medical conditions. Unloading that weight finally allowed me to breathe.

Even so, I do miss the camaraderie and importance of my duties. I went back once, but that three extra years took their toll. I have the drive to continue, but just not the mind nor body to do so.

Retirement is great…but that nostalgic look back always makes me wonder if I should have done more.


Retired Texas Lawman
 
Posts: 1498 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    For you retired guys, do you miss work?

© SIGforum 2026