SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Manual Transmissions
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Manual Transmissions Login/Join 
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I always enjoyed driving a manual, and owned several over the years. Unfortunately my left knee has deteriorated due to an old football injury to the point that continually clutching in/out/in/out/etc during city driving gets to be painful, so I'm pretty much an automatic guy now.

Posts: 7274 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I’ve had manual transmissions all my life. I learned to drive in a 1952 Allis-Chalmers B tractor out of necessity on the farm (in the 90s).

Currently have a manual Jeep Wrangler and my brother’s 1994 Dodge Dakota.

My ex wife could not drive one and was not teachable. That should have been a clue.

Current wife handles one like a champ!

I will say, I mostly drive my work vehicle (auto transmission) these days. Hitting the imaginary clutch when braking in a hurry is quite a surprise every now and then lol

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11451 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I have been driving since the mid 60's. Being from the muscle car era driving "stick" was almost mandatory.
My manual shift cars were;
1966 Shelby GT350 -4spd
1970 Vette with a 454-4spd
1957 Chevy with 3 on the tree (only two worked)
1980's something Toyota 4 runner
1994 Mazda 626 ( that's right Paul,the Mazdarati)
1970 Fiat Sport
1965 Mustang 3 spd.
1972 DeTomaso Pantera-5spd with 4500# Hays clutch (3 finger)

Used to be that a Sports car without a manual trans was blasphemy

Posts: 4638 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
My last one, not counting the farm tractors, was a 1994 Volvo 850.

I have always preferred a manual, but since that car, I have been driving 1/2 ton V8 pickups, and they just don't come with a manual anymore.

My 2018 F150 has the 10 speed auto, and it's the first auto trans that I think has better performance than the manual.

If I had a sports car, either high horsepower (Porsche, Corvette, Mustang) or low(er) horsepower (BRZ, MX-5) I would still want the manual just for the fun factor.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12797 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Yep, 911 manual

My wife and both our kids have owned and can drive manual transmissions

Posts: 13303 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I just sold my 98 Sonoma with a manual yesterday after owning it for 22 years.

I’ll buy another in a few years. I’m thinking when my son turns 16 I’ll give him my current vehicle and buy something newer for myself.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15259 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
When it was time for me to learn how to drive, Dad said learn to drive stick or don't drive. His reasoning: More control, more fun & your life may depend on it (Be able to drive anything).

The roster (1985 to today):

'72 VW Super Beetle 4 spd
'71 VW Super Beetle 4 spd
'86 Honda Accord LX 5 spd
'92 Honda Prelude Si 5 spd
'04 Acura RSX Type S 6 spd
'08 Acura TSX 6 spd
'12 Acura TSX SE 6 spd
'15 BMW 228i 6 spd
'18 BMW 230i 8AT (Damn you left knee!)
'21 BMW 230i 6 spd

I'll be driving manuals as long as they are available for sale.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16121 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Boxster S with a 6 gear tranny. My buddy has the same car with an auto trans. I'm about a second faster on the track in his car. Manual tranny's make you feel fast but you're not. I'm going auto in my next car. I'd rather be fast than feel fast.

Posts: 7568 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Yes, in avatar!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12443 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
2010 VW GTI 2-door 6-Speed manual. I hear that VW no longer makes the GTI in either 2 door or real manual (they have the DSG, which I admit seems interesting.) When I want to replace the current car, I'll have some decisions to make.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
2012 VW Golf TDI six speed manual. Daily Driver.

1976 Corvette (L-48... base model) four speed manual transmission. This vehicle needs some work, but it ran when I parked it.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
I have a Boxster S with a 6 gear tranny. My buddy has the same car with an auto trans. I'm about a second faster on the track in his car. Manual tranny's make you feel fast but you're not. I'm going auto in my next car. I'd rather be fast than feel fast.

2 things, if you are tracking it then of course go with the auto option. Also, Porsche has an amazing auto transmission, the PDK, which is insanely good. Most autos are abysmal, that one is near perfection.

Posts: 2327 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MT learner vehicle:
1961 Chevy Biscayne coupe 3 speed.
In HS, I built and drove Baja Bugs.
Last MT vehicle was a Corvette convertible with 6 speed Getrag.
I no longer feel the need for a MT. My new Charger has Paddle Shifters for its 8 speed auto.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16124 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
I have one, a 2004 Z06. I dig it.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still have my 99 Honda Prelude with a 5 speed. 56K in 21 years and my best diving experience was the Tail of the Dragon.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Does my Harley count? I learned on tractors and a three on the tree old crappy Ford wagon.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10911 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
2002 BMW E46 325xi touring.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4622 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Back in around 2003, when we were dating, my wife had a 72 VW beetle with a manual, but at 6'5" I could barely get my leg between the clutch and the steering wheel, and that car blew the engine after a couple of months (not because of me!), so I never got really good at driving it.

I'd driven various M/T vehicles over the years out of necessity, but never owned one, so I didn't get a ton of practice. This spring we got a 2013 Mazda 3 with a 6-speed as a cheap run-around town car. It's been a lot of fun...not a ton of power, but the manual makes it interesting, and it gets 32mpg around town, which is nice.

The little 2.0 makes very little torque, so it's nowhere as forgiving as the old 7.3 diesels in the work trucks I used to drive. I've had some embarrassing stalls here and there, but I've been improving with practice. IMO it's a skill worth having.

Posts: 8666 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Ain't nothing like "dropping" the clutch on a big cube American V8!
Brake torquing an auto is almost pathetic in comparison.

Posts: 4638 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Posts: 1202 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post