SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Manual Transmissions
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Manual Transmissions Login/Join 
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted
I didn't want to encroach on kz1000's thread, but it seemed to trigger a reaction about M/T's.

I was a corporate trainer in the automotive industry, before I retired and at that time (2005) the figure was about 15% of the licensed driving population could drive M/T vehicles. I'm sure that it has declined since then.

Both my sons, my ex-wife and my GF are all able to drive M/T vehicles. Currently only my older son and ex-wife have M/T vehicles.

Just curious as to how many board members currently have M/T vehicles in their garage.

I currently own three vehicles and all are equipped with 6-spd M/T's...

1990 Corvette Z51 (for sale if anyone is interested)
2017 Chevrolet SS
2013 Corvette 60th Anniversary 427 convertible

So let's hear from you.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1450 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
98 Tacoma manual; it's the only way to make use of the 4 cylinder. Love it.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Don't currently, traded my 6sp Accord for a Tahoe as we needed a tow vehicle. Always on the lookout for a good deal on a Miata.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Was made to learn on an old scooby doo VW van, 3 speed on the column.

Grew up on a farm and could operate a tractor and never realized that was the same basic operation as a vehicle.

We were also learning to ride dirt bikes at a young age which I never realized was the same operation either.

Regardless I will make sure my children learn on a manual as well. I think it's crazy to be of a certain age and not know how.

Latest was a 2017 Ford Focus ST...was a fun little ride but Oahu traffic and manuals dont mix, so we moved up to the forerunner

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6319 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine: 2017 Honda Civi Si 6-speed
My son's: 2009 Misubishi Eclipse 5-speed

In the past, including my ex's cars while we were married:

2013 Subaru WRX 5-speed
2013 Subaru Forester X 5-Speed (ex got in divorce)
2004 Subaru Forester XT 5-Speed (ex)
2002 Subaru WRX 5-speed
2000 Mazda Miata SE 6-speed (ex got in divorce)
1998 Ford Contour SE V6 5-Speed
1997 Mazda Miata 5-Speed (ex)
1995 Ford Probe GT 5-Speed
1994 Ford Probe GT 5-Speed

I hate autos, but I don't expect manuals to last very much longer in the market, except as added cost enthusiast options.

Developing a new transmission costs a LOT of money, the only thing keeping things going are global platforms also used in other countries where manuals are still common.

And for top performance, automated double clutch manuals are best, so they have replaced manuals in many of the exotics.

Maybe I should spend less on guns and grab another Miata or other manual trans convertible. Guns do hold their value a lot better though.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lefty Sig,

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just curious as to how many board members currently have M/T vehicles in their garage.

78 BMW 320i E21 upgraded the 4-speed to a 5-speed in the 90's.
Had the car since 1981.

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
2018 Subaru WRX 6 speed.

Past:
2015 WRX
2004 Subaru Forester XT
1996 Pontiac Grand Am
1985 BMW 325i

Posts: 4019 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Just tractors and motorcycles these days. Last MT vehicle was a 1974 Dodge pickup.

Check your email in a bit.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15234 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
2019 Civic Type “Aarrrr!” Sweet 6-speed.

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1997 Ford Ranger 5 speed.

PC

Posts: 1340 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2006 I280 (Isuzu version of the Colorado) w/ 5 speed. Work truck and daily driver.

Posts: 300 | Location: Canyon Lake, TX | Registered: December 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
02 Civic Si
59 Chevy Impala

The 03 Odyssey and 14 Nissan Rogue are AT and CVT.

Just a bit jealous of the posters with newer Si and Type R.

A hate the CVT except in the Maximas I get as rentals.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had to special order my manual trans 17 Tacoma.

My Dealer sales guy referred to it as the “millennial theft prevention device”. They say I picked it up was the afternoon of it being dropped if the transport truck. He had to do the presale check himself because none of the lot jockeys could drive a stick.

Prior to my truck I always bought (well) used vehicles. I had a 98 mustang GT with a manual as well as several VW golf and rabbit. Our 2013 4Runner wasn’t available with a manual or else’s I would have gotten it. All my wife’s cars while we were dating were manual so that was a plus for her.

Posts: 4770 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
I have never owned an auto.

Currently have an 09 tacoma and a 19 mx-5 miata.

Both are six-speeds.

Wife/family car is a Tesla, which is direct drive.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two: 1931 Chevrolet 5 window coupe, 3 speed, straight gears so you have to double clutch.
1950 Packard Club Sedan, 3 on the tree. Smooth as silk.

Posts: 39 | Location: SOKY | Registered: March 09, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I drove manual transmissions exclusively until I got my 2012 Hyundai Sonata with automatic. The reason: by then you could get only the base interior if you bought a manual. I wanted better interiors.

My 2018 Hyundai Sonata has an 8-speed dual clutch transmission with manual override. The best of both worlds IMO.

I think even F1 cars have dual clutch transmissions nowadays.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8958 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
2003 Acura RSX base: 5-speed manual.

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
2019 VW GTI 6-speed, here.
Most of my cars have been manuals.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not currently own one. I had a Camaro with a manual at one time, but doubt I’d ever buy another.

Posts: 8958 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2013 Subaru WRX 5 speed.

ARman

Posts: 3153 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post