SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I just don't believe in god anymore
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I just don't believe in god anymore Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Let's get the thread back on track and away from the argumentative physics lesson.

Posts: 107611 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Originally posted by dar185:
Arrogance and ignorance.

Who are you to tell someone you don’t know what they believe. OP has hit a low point but has not shared enough for you to tell him what he does or doesn’t believe.
It’s late. Maybe he’s tired. Everyone gets latitude tonight. Smile

You are right. That is what I love about faith in God. I didn’t have the grace that I should have. I see where I was wrong and hope to be more understanding in the future. OP, God loves you. I pray that you will be encouraged by believers near you and people here.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN

Posts: 961 | Location: Shadow of St. Helens | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
gambit, you haven't posted since the OP but if you want to send me your address, I'll send you a book.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
Originally posted by tgtshuter:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by tgtshuter:
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
I can understand that people may change their beliefs, and no longer believe in God. In a class about 4 decades ago, there was a lively discussion of this topic.

I asked this question "Can anyone cite the law that allowed this universe to spring into existence out of nothing?" Silence.

All that proves is that none of us truly know the origin of the universe.

Scientists and theologians can cite theories or ancient texts - written by humans - but theories and faith don't equate to being facts.

Occasionally I post about a recently deceased individual who was particularly agitational about others’ spirituality, that, now he knows. This is not to be pedantic because I don’t know. I work by faith. One must experience before he knows. For example, now Christopher Hitchens knows. I don’t but have faith. When I pass, I’ll know.

I referred to Pascal’s wager. If I have faith and was wrong, what damage did I do? I think the moral codes I’ve adopted as a result of my faith have resulted in a better life and one that edifies, especially later in life as I am more refined. So in a Pascal’s wager kind of way but without the self interest consideration, I think we’re better off with faith and moral discipline as a foundation in our culture. Believe in God or not, be not destructive.

It was not my intention to be antagonistic or destructive with my post. I don't see how one could take it that way, but...

Elk's post sounded like that the lack of being able to cite a physical law creating the universe inferred that god created it.

Spiritual faith is a great thing. I admire those who have it strong enough to live their lives with happiness and fulfillment according to what they believe comes from a metaphysical being.

I just believe that one can live by a moral code, and have the happiness and fulfillment, without having a religious foundation.

Oh shoot! I didn’t mean you were destructive. My post was introspective, brother. Please forgive me if I offended you. That was not my intent.

Oh hey! Roll Eyes so when the last line of your original reply said "Believe in God or not, be not destructive." You're saying now that wasn't directed towards me?

To be clear, your condescending reply had zero effect. Just trying to set the record straight.

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
I pray you find peace and comfort. I will say, this Sunday a portion of my Pastors sermon reminded us that being a Christian is not easy, you will have struggles and downfalls. It was good to hear that many of us are in the same position but God is ultimately in control.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by njauto:
… but God is ultimately in control.
What does that even mean? I wish people would stop using that meaningless platitude.

Someone comes up to you and says I’m questioning my faith and you tell them “god is in control”. What are they supposed to think? Oh, ok. God is controlling me and making me question my faith so I better let it happen. ???

I know you meant well but those garbage church sayings have got to stop.

Posts: 45375 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.

That's an excellent quote

Pascal’s wager

To win Pascal’s wager it’s necessary to do more than live a good life. The “wager” is usually stated as “just believe.” If we’re wrong we’ve lost nothing except a bit of time and effort in the process, but if we’re right we gain a great supernatural reward. The problem with that simplified expression of his advice is that it assumes belief can just be turned on like a light switch.

As I understand it, a fuller explanation of his position was that he thought that if one followed the rites and dictates of a religion, that one’s practices would lead to acceptance of the religion’s tenets. I.e., action would lead to belief. That too makes an odd assumption about why we develop beliefs, but I suppose it might work for some people. Again, though, there is another much more significant problem because it assumes that whatever belief system we choose to pursue is the correct one. There are myriad religions and some of them teach that following a different, wrong belief is just as bad, if not worse, than no belief at all.

And Christian doctrine (as it is usually taught) makes it very clear that living a good life isn’t sufficient for salvation for a couple of reasons, not least because it’s supposedly impossible for any human to live a good enough life. “[A]ll our righteous acts are like filthy rags,” and all that.

(Sorry for the nested quotations, but I believe it’s necessary to make clear what I’m referring to.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.

Pascal’s wager

To win Pascal’s wager it’s necessary to do more than live a good life. The “wager” is usually stated as “just believe.” If we’re wrong we’ve lost nothing except a bit of time and effort in the process, but if we’re right we gain a great supernatural reward. The problem with that simplified expression of his advice is that it assumes belief can just be turned on like a light switch.

As I understand it, a fuller explanation of his position was that he thought that if one followed the rites and dictates of a religion, that one’s practices would lead to acceptance of the religion’s tenets. I.e., action would lead to belief. That too makes an odd assumption about why we develop beliefs, but I suppose it might work for some people. Again, though, there is another much more significant problem because it assumes that whatever belief system we choose to pursue is the correct one. There are myriad religions and some of them teach that following a different, wrong belief is just as bad, if not worse, than no belief at all.

And Christian doctrine (as it is usually taught) makes it very clear that living a good life isn’t sufficient for salvation for a couple of reasons, not least because it’s supposedly impossible for any human to live a good enough life. “[A]ll our righteous acts are like filthy rags,” and all that.

(Sorry for the nested quotations, but I believe it’s necessary to make clear what I’m referring to.)

When I was 14, I never heard of Pascal’s wager. However, that’s exactly what I reasoned. I figured if it’s all a big story then I’ve lost nothing and gained a few friends along the way. If it was all truth then I better get in on it. Basically, I was looking for a place to go when my dad was home on Sunday. Two of the guys at church, Mike and Dave, took me under their wing and i adopted them as my church dads. That turned from escaping my home to actually wanting to be with these people that treated me like a son. That turned into taking their advice. Which turned into regular Bible reading. Which turned me into a better person. I fell in love with scripture and when i realized that the prophecies actually came true in The Messiah, it all snapped into reality for me. I took pascal’s wager and won.

Posts: 45375 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:
gambit, you haven't posted since the OP ...

Well, that's a shame. There's a good discussion going on here.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It has been a great discussion. Many members have posted things that I had not ever considered.

I hope gambit123 is doing ok.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21109 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
https://www.poetrybyheart.org....oems/abou-ben-adhem/

Abou Ben Adhem (1834)
Leigh Hunt

Abou Ben Adhem (may his tribe increase!)
Awoke one night from a deep dream of peace,
And saw, within the moonlight in his room,
Making it rich, and like a lily in bloom,
An angel writing in a book of gold:—
Exceeding peace had made Ben Adhem bold,
And to the presence in the room he said,
“What writest thou?”—The vision raised its head,
And with a look made of all sweet accord,
Answered, “The names of those who love the Lord.”

“And is mine one?” said Abou. “Nay, not so,”
Replied the angel. Abou spoke more low,
But cheerly still; and said, “I pray thee, then,
Write me as one that loves his fellow men.”

The angel wrote, and vanished. The next night
It came again with a great wakening light,
And showed the names whom love of God had blest,
And lo! Ben Adhem’s name led all the rest.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Pascal’s wager

I never understood Pascal's wager. How can belief adopted only to be on the right side of some spiritual line be genuine belief? It is inherently fake, and non-belief.

I mean, I sort of get the point of Pascal proposing the wager, and it makes a point. But it can't be a real-world strategy.

If you are like Mark123, he came to genuine belief later, but then he isn't merely making a wager any more.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I never understood Pascal's wager. How can belief adopted only to be on the right side of some spiritual line be genuine belief? It is inherently fake, and non-belief.

I think Jesus made the same point to the Pharisees who outwardly made a show of it.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
But it can't be a real-world strategy.
Yeah, sort of like invoking laws of macro-scale physics, such as Conservation of Energy, on a quantum level.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Yeah, sort of like invoking laws of macro-scale physics, such as Conservation of Energy, on a quantum level.

You just can't resist, can you?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:

Come on man… That was some funny shit right there… Accurate too which is why it’s so damn funny. Big Grin

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Pascals' Wager is "Green eggs and Ham".

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43886 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm an unrepentant sinner.