SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    TX/OK/AR Snowpocalypse 2023
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TX/OK/AR Snowpocalypse 2023 Login/Join 
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
high tech redneck engineering…

Well, enjoy the red streets!

The streets will run with blood......

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4559 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Lots of rain & we lost power at the office for about an hour ~3mi south of IAH.
Ditches are full at the house, but ok so far.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15136 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Here in the Ft Worth area, no snow, just rain. It isn't cold enough for snow. Much rather have rain.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16611 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
59* near IAH right now.
Waiting on a break in the rain to get to the car & start making my way home.

Posts: 15136 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's been snowing hard here for about 1.5 hours, but the roads have remained decent so far, since the temp is hovering around 33. That'll change as soon as the sun goes down in the next hour.

Sounds like ya'll down in Houston may have avoided the snow, but got hit by tornadoes instead. I'll take the fluffy stuff any day.

Posts: 32412 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^ The soil is at something like 45 degrees so that melts the snow pretty quickly. It has not dropped down to 32 degrees yet this winter.

Pavement, well that's another matter. Wreck city, slip n slide, fall down and go boom, etc.

Posts: 11811 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
^^^^ The soil is at something like 45 degrees so that melts the snow pretty quickly. It has not dropped down to 32 degrees yet this winter.

Our current soil temp is ~36 degrees, and our soil temp has dropped below 32 this winter, during the big subzero cold snap and prior round of snow we had around Christmas. Looks like it was below 32 from 12/22-12/28, and got as low as 21 during that period.

Posts: 32412 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
The local news is reporting that the City of OKC street department is spraying some sort of beet juice, from sugar beets, on the road surfaces

If you can't beet 'em . . .
It's the de-icer that can't be beet!
They don't beet around the bush there in OK when in comes to de-icing.

Okay, got that out of my system.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
quote:
quote:
high tech redneck engineering…

Well, enjoy the red streets!

The streets will run with blood......

Or Dr. Pepper.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
We ended up with around 8" of snow in total.

There were some widespread power outages overnight from the relatively large amount of wet, heavy snow dragging down tree limbs onto power lines, and there's still ~15k people without power as they continue to work on it.

Luckily, the combination of the slushy snow and and it barely getting below freezing overnight means most of the roads aren't bad today. However, it's going to get down to 18 degrees or lower tonight, so the melted snow on the roads will likely freeze over into ice, which could lead to some issues tomorrow morning.

Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
Interesting it's being used as a deicer. Beet juice is often used to fill rear tractor tires for ballast (mine are filled with the stuff) as it's heavier than water, has a low freezing temp, non corrosive, and ecologically friendly should you get a puncture (unlike antifreeze or salt water).

Just don't be around if it leaks! it smells terrible when it has age a few years in the tire.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4126 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
Interesting it's being used as a deicer. Beet juice is often used to fill rear tractor tires for ballast (mine are filled with the stuff) as it's heavier than water, has a low freezing temp, non corrosive, and ecologically friendly should you get a puncture (unlike antifreeze or salt water).

Just don't be around if it leaks!

A few years back, just after finishing my shop, I pulled my Kubota in to service it and was adjusting the tire pressure. One of the rear tires had the valve at roughly 6 o'clock. Somehow or another, the valve stem came out and a high pressure stream of beet juice began to hose down the inside of the shop. It shot clear across and hit the opposite wall where it sprayed over everything. I quickly grabbed a small piece of plywood to try to direct it elsewhere, but that only made it worse.

It was a nightmare to clean it all up, but I'd bet a video of it would be hilarious. I learned a valuable lesson that day.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
We ended up with around 8" of snow in total.

There were some widespread power outages overnight from the relatively large amount of wet, heavy snow dragging down tree limbs onto power lines, and there's still ~15k people without power as they continue to work on it.

Sounds like you got more than we did. About 5-6" here. But also wet, heavy snow.
The roads are fine. Didn't even slow down the trash man.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23931 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Long term ammoholic
Picture of gunnutty
posted Hide Post
We ended up with between 8-9 inches here in North Central AR. As Rogue said lots of power outages and it looks like the weekend before they will have the power back on.

Posts: 670 | Location: North Central Arkansas | Registered: February 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Images during & after
Neighbor across the street (White Mercedes on the right in the 3rd photo) had to park in the street, her yard/driveway gets a lot of standing water in heavy rain, but none in the house luckily.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
..About 5-6" here. But also wet, heavy snow.
The roads are fine. Didn't even slow down the trash man.

About 2" across the JB Bridge, chellim1, bullet dodged. Smile

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8307 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Hope you folks that got the white stuff are doing well.
Just got done cleaning up all the leaf debris from the front yard. 12x 33gal bags, completely filled.
Expecting to be sore tomorrow. Have wait til 2/6 for heavy trash pickup, unless I can squeeze a couple bags into our regular service bin.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
All but the very last remnants of the snow has melted, but the next round is set to come through this area Tuesday-Thursday of the coming week. This one is supposed to be a lesser amount overall, but more ice than snow.

I guess the good news is that all the wet, heavy snow this past week already dragged a bunch of limbs down onto power lines, with the power company taking a couple days to get power fully restored to the area, so that means there are now that many fewer limbs for the ice to drag down onto power lines next week. Big Grin

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Rain started back up here last night, supposed to continue on through at least Thursday.
Hoping to not have a repeat of the lawn mess.
Got out & really cleaned up the ditch (paved runner on the bottom) so hoping that helps with flow, though you can't do much about your neighbors. At least I'm not the bottleneck.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Rain started back up here last night, supposed to continue on through at least Thursday.
Hoping to not have a repeat of the lawn mess.
On a positive note, all of this rain made my annual lawn soil sample a cake walk. Much better than the years I'm probing something akin to concrete.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23093 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post